Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

3rd day of antibiotics but UTI getting worse?

(11 Posts)
PipIsOutNow Sun 23-Sep-12 08:58:59

Me again! I'm on my 3rd day of cefalexin and they really don't seem to be working as well as they did last time. With UTIs I only every experience frequent urination and the blood and white blood cells are detected in my urine. I am now experiencing burning when I wee and sharp period type cramps as well as back pains. Do u think I should just let the antibiotics run their course of ring my midwife? I'm wondering if there's anything she can actually do ESP on a Sunday. I'm 21 + 3 weeks

capedcrusader25 Sun 23-Sep-12 09:28:31

Hey, I could have written this last Sunday! I ended up ringing the pregnancy assessment unit on the Monday because I was so ill. Mine had become an Upper UTI/kidney infection (hence the horrendous back pains). I was admitted to the ward for stronger antibiotics to be given by IV and had my kidneys scanned to check for any damage sad They can become really serious so don't leave it if you know you're getting worse. Ring your Unit/midwife x

PipIsOutNow Sun 23-Sep-12 09:50:05

Do you think I've given the antibiotics long enough to work? Should I go another day and see how I am tomorrow? Hope you're feeling better now

megandraper Sun 23-Sep-12 09:55:11

Ring surgery. To see if lab test of ur sample is. Back - u might not have been given the right antibiotics.

capedcrusader25 Sun 23-Sep-12 09:56:49

Hmm well I'm nowhere near an expert, but the gp did tell me I should start to feel the benefit within a day or two. But when I wasn't even staying the same and actually getting worse by day 3/4 I figured they weren't working and saw that Upper UTIs are generally treated by IV meds I thought I best to get seen to. I don't think there's any harm in ringing your triage and getting advice from them, be sure to mention that you feel as though you're getting worse and the back pains. Just to be on the safe side as they can become horrible x

JambalayaCodfishPie Sun 23-Sep-12 09:57:47

Definitely call - I was the same as caped and ended up being admitted.

They can be really dangerous for the baby if not treated properly, so please, do call. smile

EdgarAllanPond Sun 23-Sep-12 10:01:19

agree - ring unit (as is sunday and GP unlikely to be on hand!)

i have felt the bens of anti-bs same day

PipIsOutNow Sun 23-Sep-12 10:09:41

I'm going to ring out of hours now see what they say. Thanks everyone

PipIsOutNow Sun 23-Sep-12 11:31:16

Just rang me back. Basically said I haven't given the antibiotics enough time to work and that my symptoms are normal. So will just see how I go and if I'm the same il go back to the doctors tomorrow

capedcrusader25 Sun 23-Sep-12 14:36:06

Ok well if you start to feel worse don't hesitate in going in and I hope you start to feel better x

PipIsOutNow Sun 23-Sep-12 15:29:43

Thank you xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now