Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What does the mucus plug look like?

(23 Posts)
whenhenshaveteeth Sun 23-Sep-12 08:51:15

I'm 39wks with DC2 and the last couple of weeks I've have quite a bit of clear/white discharge and didn't think of it as anything until this morning I lots a much bigger blob of it, which got me wondering. Is the MP always blood tinged or can it be clear/white?

I know it's my second but I was induced with the first and so never lost the plug, or at least didn't see it.

Rockchick1984 Sun 23-Sep-12 09:04:33

Mine was clear and thick, looked <<TMI alert>> like the jelly you get in a pork pie grin

I never had a bloody show, I think they are two different things.

PinkPenguin36 Sun 23-Sep-12 09:25:44

Hi, I'm 39+3 today and had what I can only describe as "snotty discharge" which I think is part of mucus plug. Hope so anyway!

whenhenshaveteeth Sun 23-Sep-12 09:30:33

Ok, I know it's gross but I looked up pics of mucus plug on the internet and it sort of looked like what I lost but for some reason I thought it would be a lot bigger. It looked a bit like the kind of stuff you get around the time you ovulate.

sparklekitty Sun 23-Sep-12 09:41:11

I've had both. Lost my plug a few weeks ago, it was a big lump of greeny/yellowy jelly. Not like discharge, more like snot. Gross!

I also had a bloody show about a week ago, this was similar consistency but was very bloody (mine was very bloody as I have cervical erosion and mw said that the show had burst a few capillaries so not totally normal)

Since then I've had lots of fairly big chunks of snotty, clearish mucus. I'm due today btw

Badgerina Sun 23-Sep-12 09:46:26

Argh! Just did a Google image search for "mucous plug". I CAN NEVER UNSEE THAT!!! confused confused

whenhenshaveteeth Sun 23-Sep-12 10:03:38

I know what you mean Badgerina...

Thanks sparkle, let's see how it goes. About to jump in a bath of clary sage and jasmine, so who knows...

bulby Sun 23-Sep-12 10:15:54

A big green snot. Twas gross!

EarnestDullard Sun 23-Sep-12 10:22:29

I think the plug can go gradually over the last few weeks; I'm 38+1 and for the past few weeks I've been having (on and off) yellowy mucous, more of it if I've been feeling crampy in the night.

The 'bloody show' (when it's pink or blood-streaked) happens when the cervix starts dilating properly and small capillaries burst, I think, so it's more of a sign that things will be happening soon.

newtonupontheheath Sun 23-Sep-12 12:48:35

With my last pregnancy, I had <tmi> a very bloody show... Like a massive lump of jelly.

I've been waiting for the same to happen with this one (38+6) but I have the increased discharge describe above so a bit more grin that I might actually be getting there!!

Thanks for sharing too much!! grin

Sparklyboots Sun 23-Sep-12 13:41:46

A fist sized lump of blood stained snot, IME.

SuperSlattern Sun 23-Sep-12 13:47:36

I googled - my eyes! grin

Sorry op, I have nothing helpful to say, I'm just v childish smile

I hope you have a pain free as possible birth

EugenesAxe Sun 23-Sep-12 13:54:21

It probably varies, but I had a 20p sized blob of mucus on the floor of the shower at about 40+4. I thought 'Oh cool - it's a show perhaps.'

The evening of 40+5 I got a huge, alien-like lump of mucus, with blood in it, on the loo-paper when I wiped myself. It was massive! I thought then 'Oh no; that's the show.' Next day went into labour.

Sparklyboots comes closest. It wasn't as thick as a fist, but yes, about that size on the paper.

EugenesAxe Sun 23-Sep-12 13:55:57

I would have photographed it for this occasion too... but I didn't have my camera on me. I do have a pic of some of my 'ragged membranes' after they came out in the lochia though. Gross...

Mollydoggerson Sun 23-Sep-12 14:02:35

Varies.

I had something that looked like a jellyfish (when floating on water). Thick firm clear ball of jelly with a small few streaks of blood. But you can also leak some snotty stuff.

The mucus plug can be released for a few weeks before birth, and it can be partially released and hen build back up again.

Clarella Sun 23-Sep-12 21:22:39

Nothing constructive to add but your reactions have tickled me! .... off to Google knowing 'I can never unsee it....!'

Oh but it was discussed at nct from our brainstormed first timer questions 'what is a mucus plug?' And she said it constantly renews itself and you may never actually see it or you might see it a few times in bits or all at once....

Clarella Sun 23-Sep-12 21:24:35

Eeeeuuwwww

Clarella Sun 23-Sep-12 21:25:49

All the best op! X

whatsoever Sun 23-Sep-12 23:34:00

Why did I google it when so many of you had warned us?! The pic on google images than looks like an upended jar of Christmas mincemeat has scarred me the most.

Onemoreforgoodmeasure Mon 24-Sep-12 09:38:58

I'm early days in my pg, and read this and started laughing, and then dry heaving. So, so gross. smile

Badgerina Mon 24-Sep-12 12:16:27

Haha! This thread is funny grin

whenhenshaveteeth Mon 24-Sep-12 17:47:01

So, in conclusion I don't think what I found in my knickers was my show but I promise to take a pic when I do have it so that you can all see it grin

newtonupontheheath Mon 24-Sep-12 17:50:48

Thanks when you're too kind grin

off to bleach eyes after googling

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now