Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is this too little weight gain?

(11 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Sat 22-Sep-12 19:36:54

I'm just over 20 weeks with my first baby and I have gone from 9.10 to 9.13 1/4; I do have a noticeable bump but when I read the other thread about weight gain, it's making me worried. I just eating and exercising as normal, but am worried that I'm not putting on enough to feed the baby.

Should I be worried?

dozensofpichu Sat 22-Sep-12 19:48:48

To reassure you, at 20 weeks I'd only gained 4lbs. In total I put on 21lbs by 40 weeks and DD was a very healthy 9lb5oz!

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Sat 22-Sep-12 20:02:25

I'm nearly 40 weeks now and weigh 1lb more than pre-peg (so now 9st 6lb and 5ft 2) thanks to awful sickness. The baby takes what it needs from your reserves apparently. So long as your bump measures fine (I think the start measuring at 28 weeks?) and you're taking a pregnancy supplement don't fret about your weight would be my advice.

emsyj Sat 22-Sep-12 20:17:38

I'm 21 weeks with my second baby and I've only gained a pound! I've posted on the other thread too.

My 20 week scan was fine and baby is normal size, so I'm not worried - just curious to know how much I will gain overall this time...

emsyj Sat 22-Sep-12 20:18:03

...and I was an average size before, I'm not overweight (size 12, 5'7" tall).

panicnotanymore Sun 23-Sep-12 14:07:23

You need to eat well for you as well as for the baby, so although the baby will take what it needs from your reserves if you want to maximise your ability to bounce back after the birth looking after your body is essential.

I guess your MW can advise on weight gain, and reading up on the nutritional requirements in pregnancy will help you ensure that you are not run down, or lacking any nutrient that might adversely affect your recovery post delivery. I have found the 9 months of eating well chapter in 'What to expect when you are expecting' very helpful. A rough summary:

daily:
3 protein servings
4 calcium food servings
3 vit C food servings
3-4 leafy and yellow veg / fruit servings
1-2 other fruit/veg servings
6 or more whole grain (e.g. wholemeal bread, cereals, rice, couscous etc) and legume servings
Some iron rich foods
approx 4 fat and high fat food servings
at least 8 x 230ml glasses fluid

plus a prenatal vitamin supplement

Things can double up e.g. 3 x 230ml glasses of milk = 1 protein and 3 calcium servings

I was surprised at just how large some servings were e.g. 4 eggs = 1 protein. That's a lot of eggs....

I have gained more weight than you, but no wobbly bits (!), have no morning sickness or other aches and pains, am not particularly tired, and have lots of energy when exercising. I put this down to eating well. I am lucky enough to have a personal trainer who gave me an absolute rocket about not eating enough, or properly at the start, and who made me keep a food diary. I am very grateful for that rocket grin

LimeLeafLizard Sun 23-Sep-12 15:45:46

I am also 20 weeks and have only put on 4lb so far. This is my fourth pregnancy and this is the least weight I have put on (with the other 3, I had gained about 7lb by 12 weeks!). I have put lack of weight gain down to running round after the other children!

shouldIbecross sounds like you have had a tough time with your sickness. Hope you feel better soon - when the baby is born!

charlienash25 Mon 24-Sep-12 10:16:02

I wish my weight gain was as small as this! My baby is on the small side, havent eaten extra or any different from when not pregnant but still have managed to gain a stone and a half and im 30 weeks!

EdMcDunnough Mon 24-Sep-12 10:20:48

I think it evens out sometimes.

I put on about a stone and a half, in the first 20 weeks this time (eating an immense amount to try and not feel ill) and now it's really slowed down - in fact I weighed myself this morning and I've lost about 3lb hmm
I'm 25 weeks now

With ds1 I put on about a stone, maybe 1 1/2 in total but almost nothing till around 6 months, and was back to pre-pregnancy weight as soon as he was born. Ds2 I can't remember, probably about 2 stone, and again lost it pretty fast.

It's quite random. The books say you're meant to put on loads between 20 and 30 weeks, but I'm going backwards smile

Don't worry

panicnotanymore Mon 24-Sep-12 14:00:45

This is why I don't like these threads - wishing you'd only put on 4lbs in 20 weeks? Jeez, the pressure of women to stay tiny is wrong at any time, but when we are pregnant we need to gain weight. Some people don't gain much obviously, but that is NOT something to aspire to for the rest of us confused.

Please people, look at the healthy weight gain charts and relax. It's normal. It's not blubber, it's baby, boobs, fluid, placenta.... all of that.

Eat well, take exercise, keep fit and toned and look after your body. Relax!!! Big gain, small gain, your MW will advise if there is a problem.

I'm going to stomp off now and eat a pie. A healthy pie grin

charlienash25 Mon 24-Sep-12 16:20:14

No, panicnotanymore, I think I must have worded it wrong, or its been read wrong. Im perfectly happy and fine with the fact ive put on almost 2 stone since being pregnant, everyone is different - I know this. Would just be nice if i just gained on bump like some people rather than legs, arms, bum, and anywhere else possibly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now