Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Low lying placenta - anything I need to do/avoid?

(6 Posts)
SneezySnatcher Sat 22-Sep-12 18:54:42

I had my 12 week scan last week and the sonographer mentioned I had a low lying placenta. I wasn't too concerned as I know most move up in time for a normal delivery.

I'm now beginning to wonder if there's anything I need to avoid (thinking heavy lifting/sex etc). Nothing was mentioned and I didn't ask but I seem to remember reading about this in last pregnancy.

Any ideas? Not going to google!!!!

PollyIndia Sat 22-Sep-12 19:34:58

I had that at 20 week scan and they said nothing to me about being careful so I carried on running up to nearly 36 weeks. But I have heard people say they tell you to slow right down - I think maybe that's when it's already a previa or covering the cervix completely.

Mine had moved by the 36 week follow up scan (as do the majority) and I never had any bleeding so I wasn't too worried.

ilovecolinfirth Sat 22-Sep-12 19:47:00

I was told I had low lying placenta at 20 weeks, and to slow down a little. it often can move on its own. However I got scanned at 26 weeks due to bleeding, and was diagnosed with complete placenta previa (the most extreme case). It was only then that I was told no sex, no heavy lifting, no standing for long periods of time, no over-activity in general. Sadly, only very minor things seem to set me off bleeding...sneezing, standing up suddenly.

I think for now just take things a bit slower. X

Sastra Sat 22-Sep-12 19:48:08

I wasn't told to do anything differently and so didn't. Just watch out for bleeding, but otherwise as you were smile

dueatxmas Sun 23-Sep-12 10:18:46

I think as others have said it's with complete previa. i was diagnosed with complete at 20 weeks and have seen my consultant who despite me not bleeding is making me slow down so i'm practically on bed rest. Have to be careful doing anything.

12 weeks is early and baby is so small still you have a good chance of it moving i'd just take little more care with things you do and any sign of bleeding go straight to hospital.

Secondsop Sun 23-Sep-12 14:46:53

I was diagnosed with low lying placenta at 22 weeks. Have had a couple of episodes of red/pink spotting since then so I've been told no sex till 32 weeks, and I have to go in whenever there is any more spotting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now