Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby engaged but bump really 'high' - anyone heard of this?

(10 Posts)
shouldIbecrossaboutthis Sat 22-Sep-12 17:21:54

I'm 39+5 so obviously desperate for the baby to be out. I've been keeping myself positive by reminding myself that the baby has been engaged since week 38, according to the MW and her student, so we're on our way kind off.

However, over the last 4 days loads of people keep saying that that my bump looks high sad. Is the baby not engaged any more? This is my 1st if it makes a difference? I feel most of the movement in right side about 3cm away from my belly button.

So, I suppose my question is, can the bump be engaged AND high?! I'm hoping it looks high because of the way he's lying/my shape/he's tall!

paperclips Sat 22-Sep-12 17:29:11

Trust the midwife. People say all sorts of nonsense about your bump.

People were telling me my bump looked low from about 30 weeks, and saying "oooh I bet it comes early" blah blah. I think they thought my bump looked low because I have a long body with short legs, and was wearing an unflattering maternity nurses dress. Baby still not engaged at 40 weeks.

sparklekitty Sat 22-Sep-12 17:32:54

My baby is 2/5ths engaged so very low and everyone keeps saying to me 'oh it won't be anytime soon, your bump is really high' (I'm due tmrw!) Anyway, I know I'm having a big baby so I reckon that bump just looks big/high coz she's using all the room she can find.

I wouldn't worry, trust MW. I found that everyone becomes a lay MW when you're pregnant, telling you how big it is, gender, due date etc. Gets a little annoying.

BillyBollyBandy Sat 22-Sep-12 17:33:40

I'm tall and my bump never dropped. DD2 engaged at about 34 weeks which is early for a second I think but there was no outside change. I could feel the pressure on my pelvic floor but didn't look different.

I think, generally, once engaged with you first it stays engaged.

Mikyahrose Sat 22-Sep-12 18:07:49

i'm 40+4 and my bump still looks really high (pic on my profile if anyone fancies a nosey) although at my 40 week mw appointment i was told he wasnt engaged, but he had been 2/5ths engaged at 36 & 38 weeks.
I've spent the last 4 days bouncing lots and walking and swimming. The mw on Tuesday also told me he had turned back to back, so been trying to get him to turn back and then hopefully he'll engage. I think he may have turned back now, but really have no idea whether he's dropped down or not. Not seeing the mw again until Wednesday (41+1) So hopefully he'll either come before then, or at least be in the right place at that appointment. smile

Badgerina Sat 22-Sep-12 18:38:11

I agree with others - people talk a load of BS about bumps and pregnancy - are they midwives?

Baby will come when he/she is ready. 39+5 is early for a first time mum. Most go overdue.

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Sat 22-Sep-12 19:22:47

ok, thanks everyone, I will ignore and just keep thinking, 'he'll be here, 2 weeks tops". I'm trying not to go down the crazy pineapple/curry/sex/route. He'll come when he's ready as someone said, I might give my nipples a tweak for good luck!

Mikyahrose hope the baby turns for you and everything goes well.

BikeRunSki Sat 22-Sep-12 19:29:59

I had a high bump at 38 weeks, MW also told me he was engaged. She was talking bollocks. He was footling (extended) breech, which is why bump was "tall".

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Sat 22-Sep-12 19:55:34

oh no BikeRunSki, I'm planning a home birth, I would shit myself if a foot came out first; that is what it means right?

I did have a private presentation scan at 38 weeks which said head down, so hopefully it's not high due to footling breech. His femur length is apparently off the chart, so maybe it's high because he is tall??

BikeRunSki Sat 22-Sep-12 20:21:58

Footling does mean feet down yes, generally delivered by c section (as in.my case, although they only established his position once I was 10 cm dilated).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now