Talk

Advanced search

Does this seem enough clothes wise for baby?

(18 Posts)
3rdbump Sat 22-Sep-12 16:37:58

Its been a whole 7 years since my daughter was born and am forgetting alot of what it was like!!
I am 26 weeks with my 3rd baby - a boy and i have started thinking about baby clothes.
To save costs and plus i know that you get lots and lots of stuff off people once baby is here i have drawn up a list! Baby will spend the first 3 months in sleepsuits and vests - so here is my list - do you think i will have enough of everything? baby is due xmas day and we live in a very rural area where we get snow and cold weather plus i have 2 horses to tend too so plenty of healthy walks down the field everyday (10 min walk smile )

vests x 14
sleepsuits x 14
booties x 4
hats (outdoor knitted type) x 2
snowsuits x 2 (for over the sleepsuits when baby outside)
cardigans x 3 for travelling in car, shopping indoors etc
All above in 0 - 3 months

I also have 2 cotton hats for when baby is born smile

Baby will have a warm woolen knitted blanket for the lay flat pram and sheets etc as needed for the cold weather.

Does this sound like enough for him? i just can't justify these little cute outfits/jeans etc when baby will be in them for such a short time, there alot of money! plus sleepsuits are just easier smile

3rdbump Sat 22-Sep-12 16:40:50

Just to add - washing for sleepsuits/vests will be done once per week!!

amck5700 Sat 22-Sep-12 16:42:00

That sounds plenty of the basics and I am sure you will get a few cute outfits given for showing him off too. I'd maybe add in some gloves.

amck5700 Sat 22-Sep-12 16:43:01

depends how sicky they are as to whether you will get away with one wash a week, but you should mostly I would think.

RVPisnomore Sat 22-Sep-12 16:43:09

I was thinking you did have enough until I saw that you were only planning on doing washing once per week. If you're only planning to do washing once per week I would have thought you would need at least double that volume.

tiredteddy Sat 22-Sep-12 16:44:17

I would add some baby socks as its going to be cold. I used to put these in underneath the sleep suit to keep toes nice and warm. Great list though. I'm due with dc3 in jan so similar time and my first winter baby so looking at lots of layers!

amck5700 Sat 22-Sep-12 16:45:06

maybe tights instead of the socks?

HoratiaWinwood Sat 22-Sep-12 16:48:45

I don't think one wash a week is realistic if baby is remotely sicky or dribbly or breastfed, given the poosplosions partly for quantity and partly for general odour control!

That said, I think those quantities in 0-3m are realistic. I wouldn't bother with booties or socks while he is in sleepsuits with feet, though, particularly if he will be in a footed sleepsuit outdoors.

Good luck!

notso Sat 22-Sep-12 16:49:38

If these are all the same size I would say its too much.
I probably had about 6 each of vests ad babygro's,
one or two cardigans,
two hats.

I would also rcommend a baby wrapper rather than snowsuits, they fit a five point harness are 100 times easier to put on, they can be unwrapped easily when going from hot to cold plus they last around 6 months.

notso Sat 22-Sep-12 16:50:54

Ah coss post re too much.

jkklpu Sat 22-Sep-12 16:55:47

get half of the vest and sleepsuits in 3-6 mths instead and 2-3 of the vests as long-sleeved
and I never saw the ponit of bootees - if the baby's in a sleepsuit, when will s/he ever wear them?
and not sure why you'd need more than 1 cotton and 1 outdoor hat?

3rdbump Sat 22-Sep-12 17:02:47

Okay - maybe a wash twice per week then - will see how i get on! baby will be in covered feet sleepsuit so i figured the booties to wear over the top when its cold..........for travelling in car/round indoor shops etc
Opted for 2 winter hats for variety smile and one hat i bought comes with mittens!

WantAnOrange Sat 22-Sep-12 17:30:18

I have several hats for baby because I loose them all the time grin.

carrielou2007 Sat 22-Sep-12 17:35:29

Sounds plenty bug would be washing more than once a week. Both mine were jan babies and i also bought a sheepskin liner to go on the carrycot of the pram as was 30 min walk to dd'z preschool then I would keep walking to supermarket/various jobs for lunchtime
sleep and being still didn't want dx to get chilly.

piggyboo Sat 22-Sep-12 17:43:19

do you only have 0-3 months? You could probably do with a few newborn things, dd was 8lb 4 so not small and her 0-3 didnt fit her for a good few weeks. I've bought mostly up to 1 month this time (up to 10lb) a few newborn things Also one early baby (up to 7lb) set which i've left tags on so i can exchange if not used. My friend advised the early baby outfit as she went into labour unexpectedly at 35 weeks with her second and did not have a single thing that didn't swamp him.

HoratiaWinwood Sat 22-Sep-12 18:54:44

Good point re 0-3. DS1 was just under nine pounds and the newborn (0-1m) size swamped him!

I was impressed if a day passed without a laundry load, tbh. Twice a week dedicated baby load would be a minimum for me.

cherry219 Sat 22-Sep-12 21:16:38

My DS was 8lb13oz and was in newborn clothes for 5 weeks, so I'd get some vests and sleepsuits in first size too, just to be on the safe side!

amck5700 Sat 22-Sep-12 22:05:40

I had some up to 1 month clothes which I took into hospital. I ended up with a section so was in for a couple of days and I had to cut the feet off the baby gros as my 9lb 13 baby couldn't fit his legs in them sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now