Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bfp after bf - dates?

(12 Posts)
littlemonkeychops Sat 22-Sep-12 10:38:14

Hi

I've just got a bfp after stopping bf before af made an apearance, so no way of working iut dates.

Anyone know how they'll work out dates?

Thanks

MrsJohnDeere Sat 22-Sep-12 10:48:02

Slightly different situation, but I got a bfp after 18 months of next to no periods (peri-menopause, I thought) so had no idea how many weeks along I was.

My GP sent me for a dating scan.

littlemonkeychops Sat 22-Sep-12 10:58:50

Thanks for the reply.

Planning on ringing to make midwife appointment this week so hopefully they might send me for a scan.

kittykatskumkwat Sat 22-Sep-12 11:05:12

I had the same and they just plan to send you for a scan, it's the only way they can date it really

mrsalwaysawake Sat 22-Sep-12 22:41:04

Your lmp is only a rough idea anyway. A scan is The way to date a pregnancy.

GrandPoohBah Sat 22-Sep-12 23:11:56

I got a BFP post-mc - I hadn't had a period in between. They just sent me for a dating scan to work out how far along I was (even though I knew as I'd been temping, using OPKs, watching for EWCM...)

Sparklyboots Sun 23-Sep-12 14:21:52

Congratulations! No idea how they work it out but really cool that your strategy worked! How old is your other DC?

HowToChangeThis Sun 23-Sep-12 14:25:11

At your scan, we had a bit of a surprise at ours, it turned out I was 12+2. They are very accurate at that stage because growth rate is very standard until about 15 weeks. They put the baby on the 50th centile and calculate the date.

Dd was 25th centile but even if I tried to adjust for that (which wouldn't really be correct because as I said, growth rate is still very standardised at that gestation) it still only moves the date by 2 days.

littlemonkeychops Sun 23-Sep-12 15:56:43

Thanks Sparklyboots :-)

Thanks for everyone's replies.

My DD is almost 18 months, even though i'd cut down to just one feed before bed there was still no sign of af so i stopped bf end of august. I was feeling ready to stop bf (and DD didn't protest so i think she was ready) and we were thinking it'd be nice to start trying for no.2. No idea it would happen so quick must've caught the first egg.

If i had to guess i reckon i'm about 5/6 weeks as ms kicked in about 7 weeks with DD and no sign yet, but every pregnancy is different so who knows.

Will they send me for a dating scan straight away or wait until i'm likely to be 12 weeks (based on my guessing)??

HowToChangeThis Sun 23-Sep-12 21:48:02

I had the same situation as you. The midwife I saw guessed based on it being at least two months after a miscarriage I'd had. When I went in I thought I was 8 weeks but turned out to be 12 so, coincidentally, she was correct but they told me that I should have been sent for a dating scan.

kittykatskumkwat Mon 24-Sep-12 10:05:29

Little monkey have you done a cb digi with indicator? It only goes up to 5weeks pg but may give you an idea?

littlemonkeychops Mon 24-Sep-12 10:13:16

Thanks kitty that's a good idea!

Just rang drs to make an appointment and the recptionist won't let me, shd said i can't have a midwife appointment until i'm definately 8 weeks, i said er i might well be but i've no way of telling. She said in that case i'll need to see the dr as they'll be able to tell me, eh?

As soon as i said i couldn't give her the date of my last af she was very suspicious, she said hmm, have you had it confirmed (ie are you actually pregnant?!)

Oh well, waiting for duty dr to call....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now