Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bleeding in early pregnancy

(4 Posts)
kavi19872000 Fri 21-Sep-12 21:56:56

Hi all
I promised myself that if my last pregnancy was successful, I would share my experiences with others, as I found reading other people's experiences comforting and helpful. I experienced bleeding in all 3 of my pregnancies and all for different reasons.
During my first pregnancy I had brown discharge and period pains at about 8 weeks. I had an early scan, which showed a cyst on one of my ovaries. This is quite common and is caused by pregnancy hormones. It had disappeared by my 12 week scan and I went on have a healthy baby girl at 35 weeks. She is a beautiful, active 3 year old now.
I had brown/pink discharge at 5 weeks in my 2nd pregnancy. I was sent for an early scan to check for an eptopic pregnancy. Thankfully it wasn't but the scan showed nothing there and I was told I'd had an early miscarriage or 'chemical pregnancy'. I was also told this didn't increase my chances of this happening again.
I waited for a complete cycle and was lucky enough to get pregnant straight away. I experienced the same symptoms again and had scans at 5 and 6 weeks which showed an embryo but was too early to say if the pregnancy was viable. I then had pink discharge and pains. It was one of the hardest times of my life and I convinced myself I was losing the baby. All I could do was rest and wait. I spent hours trawling the net and was so nervous before my 8 week scan. It showed a viable pregnancy and also a 2nd pregnancy sac which was much smaller. Subsequent scans showed it was an unsuccessful 'twin pregnancy'. I was just so relieved that one of the embryos was developing well. I had to have further growth scans to check it hadn't affected the baby's growth. It clearly didn't as I gave birth to an 8lb 5 and a half baby boy at 38 weeks. He is now a thriving, gorgeous 5 week old.
I think my experiences show that bleeding in early pregnancy can be a sign that something is wrong or just part of a healthy pregnancy. If you are experiencing this then all I can say is rest up and try and stay positive.
I believe that everything happens for a reason and I thank God that I have been blessed with 2 healthy children.
xx

NewRowSees Fri 21-Sep-12 22:03:40

That's lovely - thanks kavi, and congratulations on your new baby.

I also had bleeding early on 3 times, and was wracked with worry / guilt. It's good to know it all works out sometimes - I went on to have 2 successful pregnancies anyway. My local hospital was really good about organising early scans when I called, and I found Mumsnet a huge comfort while waiting for the appointments too.

It's just one of those things that many of us go through I suppose.

slovenlydotcom Fri 21-Sep-12 22:06:38

What a lovely thread to start

Dappylittlemomma Wed 26-Sep-12 03:29:10

Thank you Kavi. I'm 10 weeks and having some bloody brown discharge- not sure if I should be giving up hope and preparing for the worst or still hoping all is ok. A positive outcome is great to hear. All the best to you and your precious wee bundle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now