Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Diagnosis challenge: numb hand upon waking

(19 Posts)
AgathaTrunchbull Fri 21-Sep-12 19:37:40

I usually manage to roll over onto my right side in the night and often wake up to find that my left hand is numb enough that I can't use it to turn off my alarm clock!

Anyone any idea why this happens? Is it some sort of circulation issue? I'd understand if it were my right hand!

Orenishii Fri 21-Sep-12 19:39:27

I think it might be circulation. I'm 36 weeks and recently been waking up with sore fingers - like it hurts to bend them and get them moving. Same with feet - feels like I've been walking all night. Bit of movement and they start to feel better. Is any of that similar?

AgathaTrunchbull Fri 21-Sep-12 19:42:31

It's more like pins and needles, but wears off without the pain. Never happens when I've rolled over onto the other side! I might keep an eye on the feet thing you mention, though, Orenishii, as I do tend to have achy feet when first getting up normally.

RightUpMyRue Fri 21-Sep-12 19:43:38

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

LazyLondoner Fri 21-Sep-12 19:44:06

sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome - trapped nerve at the wrist - common in pregnancy

trixymalixy Fri 21-Sep-12 19:44:12

Carpal tunnel. I had it when I was pregnant

AgathaTrunchbull Fri 21-Sep-12 19:46:12

Ooo, that's interesting. So you don't just get carpal tunnel in your writing hand, then? Assume not! Does it wear off without bother after birth?

Kelbells Fri 21-Sep-12 19:47:40

Def sounds like carpal tunnel to me too.... Really common!

QuietNinjaTardis Fri 21-Sep-12 19:48:55

Yes it wears off <voice of experience>

smogwod Fri 21-Sep-12 19:48:56

Nope not just in your writing hand - I got it in my mouse hand! Wore off after pregnancy (not sure quite how quickly - had other things on my mind!)

Ouchdownthere Fri 21-Sep-12 19:49:29

Another vote for Carpal tunnel here. Bain of my pregnancy, slowly got better after delivery but took about 6 weeks to get all feeling back. Not ideal with a newborn and no feeling in fingers. Get a stress ball and perhaps use a wrist support. Eases the pain and numbess.

milli2512 Fri 21-Sep-12 19:50:24

It's carpal tunnel. I get it too, much worse at night. Fingers feel like they belong to a 90yr old when I wake up. It's water retention in your hands/fingers that then puts pressure on your carpal tunnel nerve.

Springforward Fri 21-Sep-12 19:55:57

Another vote for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome here.

HorryWinwood Fri 21-Sep-12 20:00:16

Sounds like CTS, i used to get it in my hand and all the way up my arm. It wore off towards the end of my pregnancy.

AgathaTrunchbull Fri 21-Sep-12 20:04:54

Thanks, ladies! That sounds like a consensus. At least it wears off!

weasle Fri 21-Sep-12 20:10:04

You can also get a splint. It's worse at night when your wrist flexes so the splint stops that happening.

FluffyJawsOfDoom Fri 21-Sep-12 21:14:20

I've been getting this too (now 38w) and it has coincided with my hands swelling, so I'd guess CTS too. It's annoying but I don't think it's serious!

feesh Sat 22-Sep-12 07:57:17

I had 2 nights of this, googled it and self diagnosed CTS. From the 3rd night onwards, I've worn a wrist splint (bought from chemists specifically for CTS) and it's not been back since smile

CitrusyOne Sat 22-Sep-12 20:26:51

I read it as 'numb hand upon wanking' blush grin

But yes, is carpal tunnel, I've had it since about 6 months pg. agree that it's annoying, but nobody seems worried, so I'm not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now