Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Peed on the results window of the pregnancy test - how likely is this to invalidate the result?

(9 Posts)
carefulobserver Fri 21-Sep-12 19:04:43

Ok, so I'm not TTC but thought I was possibly pregnant. Phoned the doctor to ask if I could get a test there but they say they don't do pregnancy tests (apart from one that takes 3 weeks to come back - WTF?)

So I bought a cheap pack of 2 pregnancy tests from boots. It said to pee on the stick but not to get the results window wet. Turns out I'm not good with aim and both results windows went pale purple. One line appeared on the control (round) window though and none on the other one - a negative under normal circumstances.

It says don't pee on the results window but doesn't say why not. It has a frequently asked questions bit, one question being is there anything that might invalidate the test. It mentions drinking alcohol, being on fertility drugs but nothing about peeing on the test window by accident. In which case why are they saying don't pee on it? It says if the line comes up in the control window the test has worked. But I'm not sure. I will use the other test and pee into a cup (not very good at that either!) but will have to wait until I need the toilet again. Stressful!

Does anyone know if this can invalidate the result??

Flisspaps Fri 21-Sep-12 19:11:57

No idea. Drink lots, try test 2.

carefulobserver Fri 21-Sep-12 19:32:47

Was really hoping to have a few massive glasses of wine but think I probably shouldn't now :-(

Does noone else know anything about this?

Splinters Fri 21-Sep-12 19:37:59

Maybe because wee could seep in under the plastic window and make the dye run? No idea really. But I definitely recommend weeing in a pot and then sticking the test in that instead!

Splinters Fri 21-Sep-12 19:38:47

Oh sorry, you were going to do that already..

panicnotanymore Fri 21-Sep-12 19:41:43

No idea - but if your are doing the second test use the first pee of the day tomorrow. If you drink loads now you'll dilute the hormones in your wee and might get a false negative.

QueenofJacksDreams Fri 21-Sep-12 19:50:12

"Human error can cause both a false positive and false negative pregnancy test result. The most common human errors include not allowing enough urine to be absorbed onto the testing stick and reading the evaporation line as a positive test result. The evaporation line is a thin grey line that can occur on the test result stick when the urine passes over the testing window. If the home pregnancy test is read too late, the result could also appear to be positive rather than negative."

Da-Dah! Google strikes again grin Looks like you need to test again though to be on the safe side.

HaveALittleFaith Fri 21-Sep-12 21:36:28

As an expert POASer after a long time TTC, my advice would be to pee into something first - Doritos salsa jar is good! But an old mug, cosmetic pot lid etc. I would hold off on the wine until you've done the test.

EarnestDullard Fri 21-Sep-12 21:40:08

Agree with panicnot, wait till tomorrow morning. The hormones will be stronger then and you'll get a more accurate result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now