Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

TENS MACHINE!!

(12 Posts)
sammywamm Fri 21-Sep-12 16:27:24

hi i was wondering whether anyone on here has used the TENS machine, my friend used it and said it was fantastic so im thinking of hiring it but wanted to know what other people view/opinion is on it smile
thanks in advance

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Fri 21-Sep-12 16:33:37

I loved mine last time. I bought one as it was only 50p dearer than hiring. Lent it to a friend and she 'lost' it :-( so I have bought a new one for this time. Due in 7 weeks and hoping it will work again!

blooblies Fri 21-Sep-12 17:41:24

I loved mine both times, hoping to use it again very soon! The worst part was running out of batteries and DH being very slow about finding the spares..

elizaregina Fri 21-Sep-12 17:46:46

its def worth having and trying it - many including me find it great as something to focus on....buttons to press etc...

FluffyJawsOfDoom Fri 21-Sep-12 21:18:53

I have one... but I have to admit I'm having trouble making sense of how to work it (it's an Elle Tens - there are all sorts of volume toggles and boost buttons) - can anyone demistify it for me? blush

Poppins27 Fri 21-Sep-12 21:36:42

I hired one when I had my Dd and it's hard to say whether it was due to the tens but I managed to stay at home using only this until 3cm, I took it off to have a bath at the hospital and thats when the pain really kicked off...20 minutes later and she was here! :-)

I will definitely use one again if the opportunity arises! My contractions were totally bearable whilst plugged in, in fact I was fitting a kitchen and dog walking whilst in early labour, and the tens was a great distraction.

sammywamm Fri 21-Sep-12 22:44:21

wow fantastic that sounds good im glad most of the people i have spoken to have had good experiences, i will definatley give it a try need to hire one though smile @poppins27 lol at fitting a kitchen and dog walking x

cheesymonster Sat 22-Sep-12 08:03:28

I am 38+1 and hired mine yesterday from tesco - £27.50.

whatsoever Sat 22-Sep-12 08:49:17

I've borrowed one from my SIL and just bought extra batteries and spare sticky pads. Hoping it'll work but keeping my expectations low so I don't get too disappointed otherwise.

Has anyone actually took them to hospital & carried on using it there, or is it an early stages at home only thing?

Nigglenaggle Sat 22-Sep-12 19:28:57

I hired one for the hospital. Was great for the early stages of induction, I slept with it on and think it helped me get an OK nights sleep despite being in hospital. Wasnt any good for the later stages but I was induced and he was stuck so more painful than the average childbirth.

WoweeZowee Sat 22-Sep-12 19:46:01

I thought it was great. Really good for early stages (was induced so sounds like similar experience to pp). In full-on active labour, towards the end, I did find it got a bit annoying - I think as contractions were so close together I'd probably had it on max and permanent boost so it just felt weird.

Mine was an Elle TENS. if I remember correctly the two 'volume' channel buttons relate to the intensity of your left and right pads. You use the boost when you get a contraction to intensify the pulses for a short period (which otherwise are going at the rate you've set via the +\- buttons. The boost can also be increased or decreased). It should be ok to test it out on your arm first. I also had a practise with DP putting them in situseedier hand so he knew what do to on the day. HTh.

Good luck!

JennerOSity Sun 23-Sep-12 04:58:47

TENS was ace - got to fully dilated with mine and plan to do the same with this one due in 3 weeks. It made the sensations quite manageable for me, and was useful through pushing out too with gas and air added.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now