Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If you had an early mc, would a pg test show negative?

(10 Posts)
weeblueberry Fri 21-Sep-12 14:26:10

If you hadn't been to your 12wk scan yet so didn't know how things were progressing I mean. If you did a pg test and all was still positive, does that indicate the baby is still healthy? Or can it still show positive if you've had an early mc?

Thanks.

MissMedusa Fri 21-Sep-12 14:29:44

As long as there is still HCG in your urine you can have a positive test. If you've had a miscarriage the levels will start dropping but it can take quite a while for them to drop down to 0. Depending on the test, it can detect levels as low as 100.

MissMedusa Fri 21-Sep-12 14:31:00

I should have said that the levels start dropping eventually, sometimes it takes your body a while to recognise that you have miscarried.

weeblueberry Fri 21-Sep-12 14:35:00

Thanks. How long does it normally take for the levels to go down? Days? Weeks?

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Fri 21-Sep-12 14:36:59

I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks and it took more than three weeks before the tests went back to negative.

Are you pregnant and have concerns? Do you want to talk?

neolara Fri 21-Sep-12 14:39:11

It depends how far along the pregnancy is. The HCG levels start to go down around the time the pregnancy ends but it can take weeks for them to go back to 0. I found out I'd had a miscarriage when I was around 11 weeks but it took a further month for levels to go back to 0. When I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks I think it only took about a week.

weeblueberry Fri 21-Sep-12 14:41:57

Aww thank you so much smile

I am pregnant (only 6+5) but my symptoms mysteriously vanished the day before yesterday. No feeling sick in the morning...no weepiness and no baby brain, which had all been coming in droves. There's been no blood or serious cramping though.

I've read enough here to know there's no reason to suspect anything ominous but am on holiday at the moment and am finding it rather distracting. I'm home tm night so will try a pg test then. I also have an early private scan booked in for the first week in October so will find out for certain then. Am just too damn impatient for my own good. smile

But I really appreciate your concern. Means a lot.

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Fri 21-Sep-12 14:44:25

Try not to analyse pregnancy symptoms - they can come and go with no rhyme or reason. It's bleeding and cramping you need to worry about.

It's hard though. Hang in there. There's really not much point doing a pregnancy test - even if you had miscarried if you hadn't started bleeding your hormone levels would likely still be high enough to give a positive result. Just try and hang in until about 8 or 9 weeks, when you can have your private scan and hopefully see a very reassuring heartbeat.

weeblueberry Fri 21-Sep-12 14:47:34

Thanks smile

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Fri 21-Sep-12 14:49:40

It's tough, I remember those few weeks feeling like months. You'll get there smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now