Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Talking of which, elective c-section (second time round) - what are my chances?

(11 Posts)
Amnewtoallthis Thu 20-Sep-12 09:56:25

Just wondering -with a previous emergency c-section (after 36 hour labour and various attempts at 'natural delivery - ventouse and forceps) with DD 4 years ago - will I be allowed to go straight to asking for an elective c-section? Or will they insist I go for a VBAC?

Rockchick1984 Thu 20-Sep-12 09:59:23

Depends entirely on your consultant! Officially you should try for a VBAC but some consultants will just let you make your own decision, others will advise the VBAC.

itsallinmyhead Thu 20-Sep-12 10:51:17

I'm pregnant for the second time and delivered my DD naturally, however, this time I've elected for an elective C-section.

My DD'd delivery was quite traumatic and I've made it very clear to all of the maternity team looking after me that this is something I have taken a lot of time looking into before making the decision.

If you've already delivered via c-section, it is easier to elect for the same. (Or at least friends here in Manchester who've chosen this option have led me to believe).

I think you need to speak with your midwife, as it will probably be different policies dependant on the PCT.

Good luck!

itsallinmyhead Thu 20-Sep-12 10:51:48

Sorry DD's delivery not DD'd

Nottigermum Thu 20-Sep-12 11:01:49

I think it's important to discuss your feelings with consultant and/or midwife early on to feel reassured. I had similar experience to you with first baby, induced, long labour, failed ventouse, emergency c sec, and for second baby I knew from the start that an elective c sec was possible as consultant said that it was my choice. I was booked in for elective but walked in hospital the morning of the operation in labour! They still offered me the choice on the day.

I did go for a natural labour, but it ended up in a second emergency c section anyway. I do not regret it one bit, it was a 'good' labour experience, but after an hour and a half of pushing the baby was just not descending at all and ended up in surgery. It was absolutely fine, I have no regret whatsoever, but with hindsight it would have been easier to go for the elective...

I think that most hospital trusts will have a similar policy to encourage you to try to have a vbac, but will also say that you have the option of an elective.

AmayaBuzzbee Thu 20-Sep-12 11:15:29

I had a previous emergency section with DD a year ago. Have just had a booking in appointment with midwife and asked if I can have an elective this time. She said I'll have an appointment with a consultant who will explain pros and cons of both vbac and elective-c, but the decision is totally mine in the end. So yes, you should be able to have an elective -c if you are sure it's what you want.

dietcokeandwine Thu 20-Sep-12 13:33:12

I had a fairly traumatic emergency CS when DS1 went into distress, and an elective with DS2.

Our hospital has a policy of requiring second-timers who had a section first time round to attend a VBAC clinic with one of the consultants - this was basically an information-sharing and Q&A session about the process. However, it was made clear that should you wish to opt for an elective section then you could do so. I went for the section, and they were perfectly happy to book this in once I'd attended the VBAC clinic (so 'proved' that I had at least considered the VBAC option).

As far as I know they will want you to seriously consider your options, and not dismiss VBAC straight away, but should you really want a C section then I think most consultants would allow this.

noblegiraffe Thu 20-Sep-12 16:12:24

I had an EMCS last time so I was automatically booked into an appointment with a consultant at 12 weeks who asked me my thoughts. I said I wanted an ELCs this time and she said that was fine as I had a CS last time. She went through some pros of VBAC and gave me a leaflet but basically said 'come back at 36 weeks and we'll book you in for your CS unless you change your mind'.

Amnewtoallthis Fri 21-Sep-12 10:49:49

Nottigermum my sister had the same thing as me emergency first time but decided to go for a VBAC with her second DD (she was given the elective option). But again she ended up with emergency CS, the thing is at least this time round I won't let the doctors make me go through 36 hours labour again. I guess it's all academic at the moment as am only 7 week s - so it's early days. But one of th reasons it's taken 4 years to get my head round the idea of being pregnant again was the trauma of giving birth to DD.

backwardpossom Fri 21-Sep-12 21:40:16

I think NICE guidelines changed in the last year or so and you MUST be considered if you want one.

backwardpossom Fri 21-Sep-12 21:42:00

A quick google brings up this and this BBC report. Due to perineal trauma with DS, my consultant has recommended one for future pregnancies. I'm currently 16 weeks and am seeing him at 28 weeks so hopefully he sticks to his previous assessment!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now