Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

another month at least til first scan, think I'm going to go mad!

(14 Posts)
foolingwithmisskitty Wed 19-Sep-12 17:32:51

Very upset. My first son was stillborn so I had a scan at 6 weeks with my second. Had booking appointment today (I am 7 weeks) and have been told they don't do early reassurance scans anymore as 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage so there is "no point" so I have to stress for 3 months. I really hope I see the consultant before then and he scans me as I feel like something is going to wrong any minute. The fact I have had spotting doesn't help although the midwife said the spotting is not considered bad enough for a scan (which I know is a good thing but doesn't allay my fears!). Anyone got a time machine?

Marmiteisyummy Wed 19-Sep-12 18:10:09

Why not contact your local early pregnancy unit and self refer. Explain your history and the spotting and I'd be surprised if they won't scan you. Though tbh I'm surprised they won't do it anyway. Or you could try a sympathetic gp. You just have to look at the antenatal boards to see a good 30%+ of pregnant women seem to have reassurance scans. If it'll give you even a few days reassurance it may be worth it.
Alternatively I believe a private scan at this stage costs about £100
They are right, it can be false reassurance, but I can understand your very difficult circumstances.
Very best of luck with this pg and so very sorry for your previous loss

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Wed 19-Sep-12 18:29:24

That must be so worrying. Is paying for a private scan an option?

GracieGirl Wed 19-Sep-12 18:34:15

I agree with marmite. find your local EPU and self refer, surely they can't refuse. Be irritating, just keep asking till someone agrees. Your GP might help too.

I got a private early scan for £85 last year if that helps.
I hope time flies quickly for you.
Good luck!

foolingwithmisskitty Wed 19-Sep-12 18:47:47

Thanks ladies. Totally skint so private scan not an option but I am going to see GP tomorrow to get asprin prescription so will tell them how worried I am and see if they will sort me a scan. Thanks for your kind thoughts and wishes x

GracieGirl Thu 20-Sep-12 07:46:08

I really hope you get somewhere with your GP. smile

lotsofcheese Thu 20-Sep-12 08:04:27

Although EPU's vary in their policy, they tend to concentrate on women who are having bleeding +/- pain & have strict criteria about who they will/won't see (eg potential ectopics) And many won't take a self-referral.

Just to prepare you that you may not fulfil the criteria.

I'm in a similar situation - currently 5 weeks, am entitled to 1 scan at 8 weeks due to a previous molar pregnancy. Earlier this year I had a mmc at 11.5 weeks despite a good scan at 8+5. So I'm going to pay for a private scan at 10 weeks (if I get that far) this time.

It's a horrible time & every week feels like an eternity.....

Midgetm Thu 20-Sep-12 08:52:51

I am a but angry that a stillbirth isnt enough of a reason to qualify for a scan. I have has recurrent miscarriages and ended up being scanned weekly from 5-8 weeks and then twice weekly till 13. This was a combination of being seen at a RMC and EPU but my EPU would have happily have scanned me every 2 weeks. Once i went in to EPU just because my normal booking in midwife appointment freaked me out so much and they scanned me there and then, As they could see I was a wreck. Having such a late loss really should be grounds for reassurance. There is evidence that reassurance scan improve outcomes and certainly helps mental health (even if only temporarily). Keep badgering on that basis you deserve one. I am so sorry for your loss.

carrielou2007 Thu 20-Sep-12 10:06:52

I'm so sorry for your loss of your wee one sad.

I think it does vary from place to place. I've just had an op on my eye, had to have under local as I'm pregnant bug had to be done asap as medical emergency. Asked ic I could have a scan after (very stressful as was first op) told no by EPU.

My op was at diff hospital who then rang thd EPU at hospital up the hill where I had both dc (wax induced, local hospital is midwife led so everything else gets shipped out) who said I could have a scan but they only did them 9-11am.

I would pay for a private scan but neither hospitals have that option and havi just had xt eye op I can't drive to go anywhere else.

I do agree that I do not have any pain or bleeding thank goodness but still upset that there is no leeway sad

lotsofcheese Thu 20-Sep-12 11:21:57

fooling how did you get on at your GP? I'm hoping they can refer you, for your own peace of mind. I don't think it's possible to understand the worry & stress of pregnancy after a loss, unless you've sadly experienced it yourself. And a stillbirth... am sure there's not words for what you've been through.

I hope your consultant will be more sympathetic & supportive. If you are high risk, it means you get better care - more frequent scans & appointments.

Just to add that I phoned my EPU this morning & it was "luck" that the sister in charge of the unit, who did a scan in my last pregnancy - answered the phone. She said she'll "bend the rules" for me & offer 2 scans as I have 2 reasons (mmc & molar pregnancy) to be offered a scan. I am grateful for the humanity over policy approach - I really hope you can get a scan

foolingwithmisskitty Thu 20-Sep-12 13:01:47

Phoned doctors for an appointment this morning and they said they would get doctor to call me back to prescibe asprin as they had no appointments left. He called and my toddler had a meltdown whilst on phone to him so I couldn't ask about scan. I'm going to get consultants number and leave a message with his secretary as he was great last time and rushed me in at 6 weeks, scanned me and held my hand and said "you are pregnant, there is the baby, they are fine, try to relax and be happy as it's good for baby"

lotsofcheese Thu 20-Sep-12 14:34:51

Hi fooling sounds like we've had similar phone calls today with naughty toddlers - mine was throwing paint on the floor!

That sounds like a good plan to speak to the consultant's secretary - and from your description, he seems caring & compassionate - a good starting point.

Tale care of yourself

foolingwithmisskitty Sat 22-Sep-12 09:12:53

thanks x

GracieGirl Thu 27-Sep-12 18:13:16

Hello! I hope all is going well. Did you get anywhere with the consultant?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now