Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Will natal hypnotherapy CD still work if I'm alseep through some of it?

(21 Posts)
EarnestDullard Wed 19-Sep-12 15:27:43

blush

I've been listening to it for weeks now, every few days to start with and now almost every day. But I'm finding it harder to focus on what she's saying, and find my mind wandering.. then I wake up 15 mins later. Do I need to make an effort to really concentrate on it and stay awake, or will it be going in subliminally or something??

At least I can say it's definitely relaxing, if nothing else grin

MadMonkeys Wed 19-Sep-12 15:51:11

I always drift off to sleep when I listen to it, and wake up just as it finishes. I kid myself that it just means I've entered a state of deep relaxation... If it makes me fall asleep when I'm in labour I shall consider it a great success!

PiggyMad Wed 19-Sep-12 16:27:15

I think things go in on a subconscious level, so even if you aren't getting the hole way through, when you listen to it in labour, the feelings of relaxation and calm ad sleepiness will come fooding back. I tried to listen to mine a couple of times in the middle of the afternoon and once with DH too so that we both got all of the advice etc.

Marmiteisyummy Wed 19-Sep-12 16:33:48

It's worth listening to it "awake" once. Just sit at a table, eyes open and listen rather than taking part. If there are big bits that seem very new then you may need to do it at a more awake time of the day.
Having said that I fell asleep about half the time and it still worked brilliantly for me. If you're waking when she tells you to then you may just be deeply relaxed.
It is fab for getting off to sleep!!

AliceHurled Wed 19-Sep-12 17:11:07

I wonder about this, as I am always fast asleep at the end. Well, midway through. The blurb says that's fine but I do wonder. I do always wake at the end though, which must suggest I am listening on some level. My partner suggested perhaps not lying in bed tucked up under the duvet, but to try it sitting or something.

blondiep14 Wed 19-Sep-12 17:13:44

I always fall asleep listening to mine!

I can't really listen to it awake in the day as DS1 and/or DS2 are always around.

I also find it makes my legs a bit twitchy confused!

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Wed 19-Sep-12 17:43:11

I usually fall asleep listening to mine. Half the time I wake up at the end, the other half DH eventually finds me, removes the headphones, tucks me in and turns off the light grin

EarnestDullard Wed 19-Sep-12 17:46:01

Glad to hear it's not just me smile

I did manage to listen the whole way through the other night; cramps and BHs kept me up half the night, and I actually wondered if I was going into labour. I thought I'd give it a go to relax me. I think the terror excitement of things possibly happening stopped me falling asleep for once.

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Wed 19-Sep-12 21:46:57

What - she tells you to wake up at the end?! I've been doing it 3/4 times a week for 25 weeks now and did not know that. Bugger!

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Wed 19-Sep-12 22:00:53

She counts. On 1 sounds will come back to their normal volume etc. (Something like that).

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Wed 19-Sep-12 22:08:35

bugger, I must just sleep all through it then?! Maybe I stir? Maybe she says, 'stay asleep if you want' <hopeful>

PinkFondantFancy Thu 20-Sep-12 07:00:48

My MW told me that it works even better if you fall asleep. I had the sane thing, that I listened to it awake all the way through once and there were whole chunks I swear I'd never heard before! Still, worked a treat in labour so can't complain!

WalterandWinifred Thu 20-Sep-12 07:08:47

I always fell asleep to it (the vbac one). I got to 4cm without realising I was in labour, then took 2 hours to be cuddling DS. I think the cd must have still been working when I was asleep. smile

PeppaTwig Thu 20-Sep-12 09:15:37

I do the rainbow relaxation from the HypnoBirthing book (alongside the course) and my practitioner says its fine to fall asleep as you'll still be taking it in subconsciously having only fallen into a light sleep initially.
Also at the end of this version she says you can either wake up slowly at that point or carry on to sleep so I don't think it matters! Relaxation of any kind has gotta be a good thing wink

PragmaticWench Thu 20-Sep-12 10:32:14

I'm glad other people are falling asleep, I thought I was the only one! Did worry me that I was 'failing' so have been trying to listen to it earlier in the day, and on uncomfortable chairs, when I'm less likely to go to sleep.

Cath505060 Wed 26-Sep-12 12:37:48

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Cath505060 Wed 26-Sep-12 12:39:40

by the way EarnestDullard did you know that if you put a cork under your mattress it can reduce or get rid of cramps completely! I know it sounds bizarre but I know loads of women this has worked for...

maggiebhowell Wed 26-Sep-12 13:15:00

Hi, as the creator of the Natal Hypnotherapy cds I can agree with most of the comments on here. It is absolutely fine if you feel like you have fallen asleep. as one of you said, the fact that the majority of women wake up at the end shows that some part of you is still "actively" listening and following the instructions. The more you can "switch off" the part of your brain which is actively listening, the better. A part of you (subconscious) will still hear and absorb the suggestions.

And even if you do fall asleep fully then it shows you needed the rest which is good for you and your baby. As someone else suggested, if you feel concerned then listen to it as a time and place that you would not normally be going to sleep eg mid afternoon and sitting up. However the more you just let go the better....same goes for the birth! Wishing you all the very best for a calm and positive birth.

AliceHurled Wed 26-Sep-12 13:43:53

Thanks maggie! I was not far off calling as I fell asleep again yesterday, although did wake before the end. I don't think there's any time of day I can't go to sleep. Except maybe 4am. Reassured now

sandraletitia Wed 26-Sep-12 16:16:42

Good to hear so many of you are enjoying the benefits of the Natal Hypnotherapy CDs. I am a NH practitioner running workshops in Wimbledon and also regularly use the Relaxation and Stress Management CD that someone else mentioned. I find I "hear" more of this some days than others but as Maggie explained, the suggestions will still be going in. Babies tend to be calmer too, as a Natal Hypnotherapy Mum mentioned to me only this morning. She was planning a VBAC but after an emergency Caesarean was in no doubt that the techniques helped hugely come to terms with it. Her little girl, her second baby, is a dream, she says.

leannac Wed 26-Sep-12 20:50:02

Sandraleticia - how can I find details of your workshops in Wimbledon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now