Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you be pregnant with a negative test result?

(13 Posts)
JupiterJoy Sat 08-Sep-12 11:18:38

Has anyone had pregnancy symptoms but test negative?
With my first I did a test about 4 weeks which was negative. But then later found out I was pregnant at 9 weeks.
I'm having pregnancy symptoms, but test negative.
Could it just be pmt and a late period, or stress mind thinking I am when I'm not, or could I actually be?

HappyCamel Sat 08-Sep-12 11:24:16

It is rare but possible. With dd I didn't get a positive until 6 weeks. This time I even had a negative blood test at what turned out to be 8 weeks, finally got a positive at what turned out to be 10 weeks. My dating scan wound up being my 12 week scan, which was a bit of a shock.

JupiterJoy Sat 08-Sep-12 11:28:18

I'm wondering if it happened with my 1st baby, negative test until 9 weeks pregnant then was positive, that it might happen again?

lj123 Sat 08-Sep-12 11:28:26

I'm currently 4 days later, usually regular as clockwork, I have a few symptoms but had a negative test the day after my period was due, I'm waiting out but eager to test again.
I'm sure netting is possible these days,
When my mum was carrying me he knew but didn't get a positive until she was 3 months gone already. X

dlady Sat 08-Sep-12 11:52:29

I had a negative test with my dd2. I tested when period was due, got a negative, then waited a week and got a positive. I knew I was pregnant though, we had been trying for 5 months.

JupiterJoy Sat 08-Sep-12 11:59:46

I've got period pain but no period yet. I'm only 2 days late.
I do also have PCOS so I hope it's not that playing up.

lj123 Sat 08-Sep-12 15:20:20

Oh looks like AF has just turned up for me sad
Better luck next time I guess. X

JupiterJoy Sat 08-Sep-12 21:23:26

Hi lj123, how long have you been trying?
It took me nearly 4 years with my 1st.

JupiterJoy Sat 08-Sep-12 21:24:23

I've done another test, it's positive! But why I'm uneasy is that I have a lot of tummy pain.

lj123 Sun 09-Sep-12 12:26:00

Have been trying about 18months now!
I'm only 22 thought it would be easy, how wrong was I!
That's amazing news smile hopefully the pains are just stretching pains hun, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you smile
My late AF is hell! The pain actually kept waking me up last night and I'm on cocodamol today, can still feel the cramping. sad

girlfromthenorth Wed 10-Oct-12 12:43:41

Hello

Sorry to jump in on this but I'm in the same boat and wondered how many of you found out you were actually pregnant following negative tests? Trying to work out just how common it is

I don't have regular periods and haven't been keeping track of details but my partner and I don't use contraception anymore and I'm pretty sure I'm pregnant.

For over 2 weeks now I've been having cramps & twinges, constipation, peeing lots (especially in the night which I never normally do), headaches, sore boobs and nipples, racing temperature at night time, sore lower back and non stop feeling of sickness whether I eat or not. It's driving me mad. Everything points to me being pregnant but I've had 3 negative test results now and I'm stressing myself out with worry.

I went to my gp last week who felt my tummy and did a urine pregnancy test which came back negative and she prescribed me antibiotics (which I haven't taken as wasn't sure it was safe juts in case I am) and said if I was still unsure to test again in 2 weeks.

Doing my best to go through the motions and try get on with life but as a first time mum and as this wasn't planned, I'm a bit panicky. I've only spoken to my partner about this who has been wonderful but I keep persuading myself that I am and then that I'm not. Really wish I knew one way or another so I could start to prepare but I can't deny the way my body feels. Have never felt like this before despite an ectopic pregnancy around 5 years ago. It's the constant feeling of nausea. Like I want to be sick but it never comes

Sorry for the rant, just feel like I'm going crazy and don't really have anyone to speak to about it. Not having a regular cycle means I can't even work out dates or anything. Feel like I'm losing my mind sad

sundaesundae Wed 10-Oct-12 17:13:38

Can I ask a very rude question, if you aren't planning a baby why aren't you using contraception?

Anyway, all yours symptoms could be that of a kidney infection, probably what the antibiotics are for. TBH I would take them no matter what, if they help then that is your answer and very early days for pregnancy so unlikely to effect anything yet.

Yes, of course you could be pregnant, but as you have no idea how far along it is hard to know how late you are. Try a different brand with first wee of the day and see what happens.

I hope you get an answer soon.

SummerRain Wed 10-Oct-12 17:22:35

I had loads of negative tests done by gp an dd hospital. Even had an internal exam and gynie felt nothing. Was scanned as the thought I might have miscarried a pregnancy. Turned out I was 9+4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now