Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Would you cycle to work when pregnant?

(23 Posts)
BumgrapesofWrath Thu 23-Aug-12 20:56:01

I'm due to go back to work when I'm 20 weeks pregnant.

There are no parking spaces close to my workplace and I live about 20 mins away on foot from work. My DS will be going a childminder who lives near to me.

In order to save time, especially of there is an emergency, I am contemplating cycling to work. There are significant parts of the journey that are on cycle lane, but also some busy roads to navigate also. Is it too much of a danger if I am pregnant?

EdgarAllanPond Thu 23-Aug-12 20:59:54

i cycled until the head began to engage with DS (i knew the exact day!)

i didn't lose my balance, though i am a crap cycle path only cyclist at the best of times...

kaymondo Thu 23-Aug-12 22:09:17

I have to say that I wouldn't - I'm a road cyclist but stop when pregnant as no matter how careful you are, you can't legislate for other road users, who can be completely unaware of cyclists, esp in the morning when they're half asleep/in a rush. DH (who is a very good cyclist) found this out when cycling to work and someone pulled out on him and sent him flying over his bonnet - badly injured his wrist which was a PITA as I'd had a c sewction a couple of weeks previously so neither of us could do any heavy lifting!

Personal choice, but I wouldn't take the risk unless you could use cycle paths/lanes all the way.

5madthings Thu 23-Aug-12 22:17:22

i cycled when pregnant, infact when preg with ds3 i cycled with ds1 and ds2 in a trailer, i cycled up until it got uncomfortable so 7-8mths ish?

DaffyDuck88 Thu 23-Aug-12 22:26:59

I really miss cycling but haven't tried since I found out I was pregnant. I'm 44 and had all but given up hope so was probably over cautious and loathe to risk anything. I have passed out a few times and it came on really suddenly so glad I didn't risk it, but still look on longingly at people cycling by.

TheresAHuppoInMyHouse Thu 23-Aug-12 22:31:03

I cycled to work when pregnant - it was the only exercise I could do comfortably and I LOVED it. The consultant told me to stop after 25 weeks which was v upsetting but she suggested I shouldn't take any risks as I already had complications. But if I was pregnant again, I definitely would cycle. Go slowly, have your wits about you, enjoy the freedom!

Anifrangapani Thu 23-Aug-12 22:34:47

I did until I had a near miss with a driver feeling he had more right to the road space I was in. Cycling itself was fine. Drivers not so fine.

ScrambledSmegs Thu 23-Aug-12 22:42:57

Yes, I would. I'm 26/27 weeks pregnant and still happily cycling, sometimes with my DD in the bike seat too. I'm lucky that my normal routes are relatively quiet with good visibility, and plenty of cycle lanes. I'm naturally a road-aware cyclist who obeys the Highway Code, so no worries there.

I have to say, I will be very upset if/when I have to stop. I feel so free on the bike, compared with when I'm walking.

Birdiegirl Thu 23-Aug-12 22:45:38

Personally I wouldn't cycle when pregnant. Like others have said you can't account for the behaviour of other road users no matter how careful you are.

Wigeon Thu 23-Aug-12 22:54:11

I cycled to my local train station and back in both my pregnancies, until I stopped work at 36 weeks - about 10 mins cycle each way. Frankly I found cycling a whole lot more comfortable than walking when heavily pregnant. I was probably more careful than when not pregnant I suppose, but I was prepared to take the risk as the benefits were greater in my view.

CityDweller Fri 24-Aug-12 10:34:28

Yes. I hope to continue cycling for as long as possible (and I live in central London). I am a cautious, defensive cyclist - I don't run lights or undertake long vehicles and am watchful cycling past junctions where someone might pull out in front of me. Anyway, I've always found it's idiot pedestrians stepping out in front of me without looking, rather than drivers, that put me in more peril. While I do sometimes get spooked cycling in London, it doesn't happen very often. I would have even less concern if I lived somewhere with quieter traffic.

While you can't account for the behaviour of other road users, the same is true when you're a pedestrian, or indeed driving a car yourself (not that I do the latter).

The thing that I anticipate curtailing my cycling is if I feel I'm not longer able to safely balance on, or control my bike. Until then, I still feel that it's the safest, healthiest (and definitely cheapest) way for me to get from A to B.

ladymia Fri 24-Aug-12 10:38:24

Personally i wouldn't but i live in London.

This morning on my way to work I saw someone step in front of a cyclist and the cyclist got really badly hurt.

Londonmrss Fri 24-Aug-12 12:27:08

Personally I stopped commuting by bike when I got pregnant. I miss it, but even as a strong cyclist, near-misses with idiots in cars are a daily occurrence in London. Just not worth the risk in my view.
If you're talking about countryside cycling, well I don't see why not- but probably not after about 28 weeks or so when I started to feel bigger and less coordinated.

weasle Fri 24-Aug-12 12:48:34

Yes, and i did until 32 weeks when clocks changed and it was really dark on way home. Live in London.

dosomethingmutley Fri 24-Aug-12 13:24:16

I am 32 weeks and still happily cycling to work. Most of my route is cycle way, but there are some roads involved. I agree that, no matter how careful you are, you can't account for the actions of others - but that's not peculiar to cycling. Are you a confident cyclist? You will know the danger spots on your route and can be extra cautious around those, or if you feel it's still too risky could you cycle part way and get off and walk the road bits (if there's a pavement)?

economymode Fri 24-Aug-12 14:02:39

Yes - biked up to 32 weeks in my first pregnancy. Stopped because it was getting uncomfortable, but would have loved to have continued biking longer rather than get the bus (which took about twice as long). Felt safer biking than walking, to be honest. It was a mix of cycle paths on the road and then on some pretty busy roads. I think that if you're a confident biker and used to traffic, then there's no problem. On foot, I was just as likely to get knocked over by cars turning without looking/indicating. Or other cyclists for that matter. I am a careful cyclist, but know how to hold my own in traffic.

I'm cycling through this pregnancy, too. No longer working, but I cycle around town with my 16 month old. I think I'll have to stop sooner this time, though - his bike seat is on the front and not sure how long I'll be physically able to fit before the bump hits the seat!

londonlivvy Fri 24-Aug-12 14:17:49

I was a really keen cyclist (rode over 5000 miles last year) but as others have said, the risk of a crash caused by a crazy driver or absent-minded pedestrian wasn't one that my partner and I were happy about.

I transferred to the tow path route to work after about 12 weeks (the tow path is somewhat winding and SLOW) to reduce the risk - about 8 miles each way. I kept doing that until 25 weeks but then found it tricky to breathe (I have a race bike so very bent over ride position) so have stopped. I'd LOVE to be still riding - it makes me very jealous every time I see anyone on a bike - but at the moment I'm bearing in mind that there's a bigger cause here that I need to focus on.

I'd say it depends on your route, your confidence on a bike, and on your attitude to risk.

DublinMammy Sat 25-Aug-12 17:38:40

If you are confident about it then keep cycling! I was induced and cycled to the hospital that morning. I am 22 weeks now and cycle with my DS in the seat on the back, it's fine and where I live you could hide a cow in the potholes....

PollyIndia Sat 25-Aug-12 17:59:20

I cycled until 28 weeks then someone nicked my seat, I ordered the wrong size post from wiggle, and thought if I was having to fight so hard to get back on the road at 28 weeks, maybe best to leave it.

I am probably an over-confident cyclist - if I fell off and hit the bump and anything happened, I wouldn't forgive myself. In london, there are lots of potential hazards.

I miss my bike massively and actually was mulling over getting the seat again for short hops (36 weeks now) then fell and bashed my bump while jogging and had to go to A&E. Luckily all ok but has definitely made me glad I stayed of the bike from 28 weeks!

ZuleikaD Sat 25-Aug-12 20:14:04

Yes, biked up to 8 months with both (until knees were hitting bump too much)!

xPennyx Thu 08-Nov-12 12:11:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

heliotrope Thu 08-Nov-12 12:26:08

Yes another pregnant cyclist here. Had to ditch it in the end at about 25 weeks due to faff of bags and children on the school run rather than the cycling itself. There is a steep hill at the end of my ride home which was the major factor in my first pregnancies and the reason I stopped.
Now I get the bus or train and both are hell and take about double the time. Bring on mat leave!

JRsandCoffee Thu 08-Nov-12 13:13:20

Would go the other way to those who suggest a country/ country town cycle would probably be fine - I stopped as it was frankly terrifying in the country traffic - I've just deleted a long country traffic rant wink

I would however have kept going had I still been in London! I think if you take it slow and pay lots of attention to where you are going and assume the worst of all drivers and parked cars i.e. ride cautiously, you should be OK. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now