Talk

Advanced search

8 Days Late But Negative Pregnancy Test? Any Help Please???

(18 Posts)
Dexter2402 Mon 13-Aug-12 14:51:52

Hi, this is my first time posting, hope it's ok!

My husband and I have been trying for a baby for a year now, I was having problems with my periods and getting them every 2 weeks. Then I found out that I was pregnant in March, we were both over the moon and started planning for the baby's arrival straight away. Went for my 3 month scan to be told that I had suffered a missed miscarriage as they couldn't find a heartbeat. We were devastated and I went into hospital in May to have a medical miscarriage.

After the miscarriage my periods were normal, every 28 days but I'm now 8 days late. I have taken 2 pregnancy tests but both negative. I have just got back from the doctor who took another test which was still negative, she has told me to wait another 2 weeks as sometimes they don't show up for a while.
My boobs have gotten bigger and I'm feeling a bit sick in the mornings but I'm worrying that that's just in my head!

Has anybody else ever had a negative test for a while after their period was due?

Thanks.

ivanapoo Mon 13-Aug-12 15:50:15

Yes I did - don't do what I did and treat it as carte blanche to go out and get pissed!

2 weeks later I had a strong positive.

Hope it's the same for you, just try to forget about it for a week or so.

MissPollysTrolleyed Mon 13-Aug-12 19:51:15

I was at least 8 days late before I got a positive. On reflection, I think I may have ovulated later than usual that month. Try and wait a few days, test again and please let us know if the news is good. Best of luck smile.

Dexter2402 Tue 14-Aug-12 08:23:31

Thanks guys, I've been reading more about it on the Internet. Quite a few people like you have had negative tests but have turned out to be pregnant, trying not to get my hopes up tho.....

Bayliss1 Tue 14-Aug-12 14:14:08

I was told you can have an incorrect negative test but never an incorrect positive so just wait a few days and try again. Fingers crossed for you!

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Tue 14-Aug-12 16:23:00

I was 7 weeks late before POAS showed +ve!

Dexter2402 Tue 14-Aug-12 20:45:49

Really 7 weeks??? That must have been hard not knowing what was going on. It's only been 9 days for me and it's driving me insane!

sundaesundae Tue 14-Aug-12 20:55:27

I can't remember when I first tested, but I had one pink dot and then 3 negatives. As the pink dot was minute and very pale I ignored it and moved on. Kept in the back of my head the nausea, tiredness, metallic taste and boobs and decided I must be dying.

Two weeks later I did a test as I was going to go to the GP to tell them I was dying and it was positive.

I am 10 weeks now, so still very early days. My one tip would be to assume it is negative and move on. Keep taking folic acid and not smoking/drinking, but live your life and forget it a bit, otherwise it will drive you mad.

FX that even if it isn't this month it will be your BFP soon.

Ilovecake1 Tue 14-Aug-12 23:02:45

Yes, I was 6 wks with my second before getting a positive...the first 2 test showed up negative. I had only recently had my first baby and sure that was something to do with it (10m 14d between them). Good luck. X

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Tue 14-Aug-12 23:09:44

Dexter, I wasn't actively trying so probably wasn't keeping track as well as I should. I did notice my period was late as it's like clockwork, but did a test and just thought nah can't be. Then I did another test every 7-10 days or so, when I just kept feeling not right. I'd even been to the GP and we'd decided I wasn't pregnant and did another test which was negative.

It was all because I wasn't using my morning wee!

LikeCandy Wed 15-Aug-12 07:23:45

Hi, I can recommend the Superdrug own brand pregnancy tests (in a pink box, twin pack, two packs for £8) as the hcg levels they measure are much lower than many other brands, 10miu rather than 20miu required by most tests to show a positive,
Morning pee not necessary (so it says!)
Fingers crossed for you!

Dexter2402 Wed 15-Aug-12 10:44:17

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately my period has just come so I'm not pregnant. I'm absolutely gutted, last night I began to convince myself that I could be so it's heartbreaking to find out that I'm not. I've never been late for my period, it's like mother nature is playing a cruel trick on me.
Fingers crossed for next month......

FizzyFishAddict Wed 15-Aug-12 10:58:50

Oh i'm sorry!
Its rotten when you are so desperate for a positive.

FWIW i had a seven week cycle last summer (always 28 day without fail girl) when i was TTC, and I found it so hard when AF finally arrived BUT i did get a BFP the next cycle so FX for you.

Lanaalucyy Sat 21-Nov-15 21:45:49

I'm 8 days late and it's been 14 days since I would think the conception happened but we had sex 4 nights in a row so I'm really confused, I want it to be a positive but keep getting negatives it's really stressing me out I can't wait much longer!!
HELP!

Kay1993 Sun 24-Jan-16 23:33:50

hey all. ive been having normal periods. i was due on 8 days ago still havnt had period. ive taken a test and its neg, but yet my boobs are sensitive and ive been suffering headaches and back aches sad

MummySara Mon 24-Oct-16 16:53:26

I wonder if anyone can help, this thread is soo relevant to me right now. I had my Mirena IUD removed on 10th Sept, my first cycle was a blood bath! lasted 17 days but no cramps. I went to the GP when I started to worry, and was told it will take up to 6 months for cycle to regulate, despite reading everywhere that IUD does not effect fertility. My period was due on the 14th Oct, and I am now 9 days late, I have taken a number of preg tests, all read negative....I am becoming very impatient. Just want to know what is happening. I have a toddler, so am aware of the signs, and in my head I feel preg, bloated, tired, occasionally I feel that my breasts are sore, but I am not sure what to do, now I a m soo late!! anyone had similar experiences?? or advice

phoebe2016 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:29:57

Hi Mummy, i had 2 mirena coils over 10yrs and after having it removed in May, i had a slight withdrawal bleed and then nothing until 1 day of light pink bleeding, a few weeks later i noticed my boobs were getting bigger and veiny and i felt very sick one morning at the gym, decided to do a hpt and it was positive! Unfortunately it didn't work out and pregnancy had ended and reabsorbed by the time i went for a scan at 9wks. The sonographer told me that my womb lining was very thin, a side effect of having had mirena! What they don't tell you when you have the coil removed is that although your fertility returns quickly, like how i got caught so fast, your womb lining is not thick enough to sustain the pregnancy. It's definitely a good idea to have 2-3 proper periods to allow the lining to build again before trying to conceive. In my case, even after the early loss (june) i still had no periods and was beginning to think i was broken! I have just found out that i have fallen pregnant again (6-7 weeks now). The only thing i have had is 2 days of very light bleeding, which i assume was implantation. Hope everything works out for you.

MummySara Wed 26-Oct-16 09:55:28

Thanks Phoebe2016. Mystery over I got my period today! 12 days later. grrgh. I had the mirena for 28months and have read some horror stories about multiple miscarriages post removal, so I feel abit on guard since removal. Congratulations on your pregnancy. keep me posted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now