Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sharp Stabbing pain what could this be?

(18 Posts)
mummyfirsttime Thu 09-Aug-12 19:56:57

Hi everyone,

I am 36 weeks pregnant 37 on Monday and have had a sharp stabbing pain going right up inside my vagina. It does not seem like it is on a bone and sometimes reaches inside but underneath my bump. Its very painful but only lasts a second or two and then completly goes away. There is no telling when this will happen but when it does it has me doubled over in shock and pain. Very worried any advice on what this could be?

Thanks

mummyfirsttime Thu 09-Aug-12 20:23:12

Should I call the midwife? Everytime I call them as its triage they always ask me to go in, i dont want to waste peoples time!

BonkeyHasGOLDMollocks Thu 09-Aug-12 20:24:49

Yes call your midwife.

You will not be wasting anyones time!

Always better to be on the safe side.

I hope everythings ok smile

GnocchiNineDoors Thu 09-Aug-12 20:26:32

Nothing is a waste of time when you are og.

Get checked. And let us know how you get on. eeeek it may be starting!

mummyfirsttime Thu 09-Aug-12 20:45:48

thanks guys, do you think I should leave it until tomorrow so its not late when i go up as its not constant pain. I have read that this could be dialation?? I would have though this would be more painful and constant than a stabbing pain also would i not be having contractions? I thought i knew alot about labour but I think more studyinng is in order!!

BonkeyHasGOLDMollocks Thu 09-Aug-12 20:48:57

No, phone now and do what they ask you too.
They may just send you home, but at least you will have been checked out!

smile

jlx Thu 09-Aug-12 20:51:53

I have been getting this too over the last few days, its an odd pain. It may be the head moving down? If you find out let me know! Hope all goes well! X

GnocchiNineDoors Thu 09-Aug-12 21:01:19

Please ring and speak to someone this evening. even if they say its nothing, they really really wont mind.

It ma be something though - theres always the chance.

Call.now.

Whatevertheweather Thu 09-Aug-12 21:05:39

I've been getting this the last few days and am also 36 wks 37 on Sunday. A really sharp shocking pain right up inside my vagina when I take a step. It will do it maybe 4-5 times in a row then go again for hours, does that sound similar?

I was told at the hospital today (was there for a routine appt not about the pain) that it is probably the babies head right on my cervix every now and again.

jlx Fri 10-Aug-12 09:55:30

Hi mummyfirsttime. Did you speak to anyone last night about your pain? Hope you are feeling better today x

mummyfirsttime Sat 11-Aug-12 23:39:10

Hi everyone,

Sorry iv not got back. I called and spoke to midwife who asked me to go into triage they put me on ecg machine to trace baby heartbeat and any tightenings. Throughout that time i was getting craping pains and trace was picking these up. They examined me and all good down there. They done blood tests and said my liver function was slightly low which is worrying but i have gestational diabetes and i am on Metformin so it could be that. I attend a weekly clinic on Mondays for this so i will be getting more blood tests then. In regards to the pains... they have no idea said maybe body just getting ready for labour. 37 weeks on monday so would love a baby in a week smile

lynda08 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:13:30

Hi im 36 weeks little man is due on the 23 of sep but i keep getting shooting pains going up my fanny it is so pain full Dont know what it could be can some out please give me some advice

Becciilouisex3 Tue 30-Aug-16 21:37:03

If you're ever worried always call or go in just to be sure!

That being said, I'm 33 and have the same thing. After speaking to my midwife and others with experience, I've been told it's very common and is likely baby head butting the cervix (how lovely!!)

However, as I say always check when worried as what is normal for some may not be for others and it'll help put your mind at ease if you're worried smileflowers

Becciilouisex3 Tue 30-Aug-16 21:37:54

33 weeks I should clarify!!

Horsegirl1 Tue 30-Aug-16 21:47:11

Ah good old fanny daggers. They are a right pain at end of pregnancy . It's all your nerves and ligaments stretches to the max. They really hurt but dont worry they are nothing serious. Just end of pregnancy wear and tear xx

ItsASunnyDay Tue 30-Aug-16 21:48:52

I came on to say fanny daggers too blush
Hope you're ok, OP

Obliviated Tue 30-Aug-16 21:51:32

Totally normal. And ouch.

Jodie1982 Tue 30-Aug-16 22:14:17

Oooo lightening crotch. Think it's babies head engaging. Not nice at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now