Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it safe to have Highlights during first trimester

(15 Posts)
Cymru82 Wed 01-Aug-12 14:26:37

Hello I'm 5 weeks pregnant 😃 Im want to have my hair lighted. Is it safe for my baby?

FuzzzyDuckosaurus Wed 01-Aug-12 14:36:39

I had my hair highlighted all through pregnancy. No way I was havin 9 months of roots grin

PenisVanLesbian Wed 01-Aug-12 14:40:20

yes. Unless your baby is in your hair.

Cymru82 Wed 01-Aug-12 19:08:39

Ok, thanks- but there's no need for the sarcasm.

CouldItBeTrue Wed 01-Aug-12 22:46:50

Glad you asked this question Cymru, I am off to have my hair done on Saturday and really felt stupid asking.

Nice to know we're not alone isn't it!

Although, I do recall it not being safe to use certain hair dyes when pregnant. Maybe that is just full on bleach blonde?

Likesshinythings Wed 01-Aug-12 22:51:51

As far as I know, it's fine. I was über cautious about everything while I was pregnant - no alcohol, soft cheese, shellfish etc but carried on with the highlights. There are limits to what a woman should sacrifice!

CouldItBeTrue Wed 01-Aug-12 22:59:20

grin

That is very true! So many sacrifices.

I'm ok with the shellfish as I don't eat it, the soft cheese I can just about live without.....wine on the other hand, I have no idea how I will cope!!

Although hopefully, fingers crossed, I'll go off it and feel sick if in the same vicinity, so problem solved!

Highlights OTOH, nobody wants to see my random grey hairs and roots! It is for the good of the people around me that I maintain the look of my hair! wink

Likesshinythings Wed 01-Aug-12 23:05:08

I would go as far as to say that keeping your hair up to scratch is the only socially responsible course of action!
I didn't mind the lack of wine too much but avoiding soft cheese was tough - I remember shouting abuse at the Waitrose Christmas ad that featured Brie....

twizzlestix Wed 01-Aug-12 23:12:40

My hairdresser told me it was fine as long as the dye doesn't touch your scalp.

LauraPalmer Thu 02-Aug-12 07:36:59

Highlights are fine for you while pregnant.

And according to the NHS website (& countless others) so is on-the-scalp all-over hair dye - it's just recommended that you wait until you're in the second trimester.

CouldItBeTrue Thu 02-Aug-12 11:59:27

Ah, ok thanks LauraPalmer - I just had a look on the NHS website so will wait to get my highlights done, another 2 months!! shock

I reckon it's worth the wait though.

Thanks again.

LauraPalmer Thu 02-Aug-12 13:10:46

Oh, I actually meant that the highlights are alright anytime (since the colour or bleach won't sit on your scalp), so I imagine it's fine to go ahead with that! smile

CouldItBeTrue Thu 02-Aug-12 16:48:24

Ah, right! (can I blame pg brain yet?? grin )

In that case - wooo!

Must read things properly in future smile

MacBondi Sun 16-Aug-15 23:26:41

Thank you so much for this thread! It was so helpful! I have 3cm roots already!!! I just have to wait to my second trimester and then do my hair!

Perfect!

sepa Mon 17-Aug-15 08:54:52

I have had my highlights done in first trimester. I asked the hairdresser and she said it's fine as it doesn't touch the roots. Still in my first trimester but so far no problems

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now