Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Brown blood at 20 weeks pregnant - help!

(25 Posts)
Harbot Thu 26-Jul-12 15:35:36

Hello, and help!
I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me to feel less anxious. I'm nearly 21 weeks pregnant and experienced bleeding on Monday this week (brown blood only) and went into hospital to get it checked out. They said baby was fine (checked heartbeat) and also that my cervix was fine too. I'm not carrying low according to my 20 week scan. Since then, I have had faint brown discharge every time I wipe after the toilet (sorry if tmi). It's less than it was and sometimes barely visible but everytime it happens I feel really panicky. I have spoken to my midwife and to the hospital again today who say that unless it gets worse than Monday, or it changes colour, there is no need to worry. But I am still worrying all the time! This is my first and I had a miscarriage at 7.5 weeks at the beginning of the year so I'm sure this adds to the paranoia. I have been resting, not doing anything strenuous (I stopped all exercise after Monday when I had been for a swim), and no intercourse as I'm too scared. Has anyone else experienced this or anything like it? It seems to have come from nowhere.

SunshinePanda Thu 26-Jul-12 15:46:05

I had this during my 2 pregnancies. Try not to panic because it's not fresh blood. Sounds like something called cervical erosion at least that's what I had. Don't know why and although it does not sound pleasant was not a problem. Had bleeding like this weekend before a 20 week scan and also early on in other pregnancy. Now have 2 healthy children. But know how it feels as also had miscarriage but it didn't have bleeding that was brown. I do know how much it will worry you though. Go and chat to your doctor or maybe the midwife to make you feel better and just to check to put your mind at rest.

Harbot Thu 26-Jul-12 16:06:03

Thank you! You're right about the miscarriage not having brown blood - I'd forgotten about that. Thanks so much for replying

DuckWaddle Thu 26-Jul-12 18:01:06

I had something similar. Brown blood, not heavy that lasted about 3 days. All was fine on the scan and they thought it was probably just ab erosion. I'm 31 weeks now and thankfully all is fine now. Hope it improves soon.

Funnywonder Thu 26-Jul-12 20:07:38

Hiya, when I was pregnant with my son (now 4), I found brown blood in my underwear while I was at the hospital waiting for my 20 week scan. I panicked and remember thinking that at least I was in the right place if things were going to go horribly wrong. Everything looked fine on the scan, but I was referred to a doctor straight after, just to be on the safe side. He didn't examine me, just asked a lot of questions and said he felt satisfied that because the blood was brown, it was most likely cervical erosion. He just advised me to come back if it got worse, lasted more than a week or changed colour. Thankfully it only lasted about four days and 20 weeks later I had a healthy baby. Hope this helps a little. Take care.

Harbot Mon 30-Jul-12 10:04:51

Thanks so much for your replies. I've had some more, still brown only but accompanied by cramps and been told to rest. The Dr mentioned preterm labour which has rather scared me. Has anyone else had this mentioned in relation to bleeding at this stage?

Harbot Mon 13-Aug-12 18:08:51

Hello, I just wondered if anyone had any answers? I've now had about 3 bleeds (both brown and red) over 3 weeks, followed by a small blood clot about a day or two later. I've been into triage three times now and they always do the same: check for heartbeat (I can feel him moving all the time so that's fine); check that my cervix isn't dilated (it isn't) and then send me home, saying to come back if anything changes. Has anyone else had intermittent bleeding in this way in their second trimester? I don't have any cramps and am resting as suggested. The only thing that the drs have talked about is preterm labour but I'm only 23 weeks so am petrified of this! Anymore stories/support would be so gratefully received!

FirstTimeMumma Mon 13-Aug-12 18:21:05

Hi Harbot. I've had a lot of fresh red bleeding throughout my pregnancy, but because I'm R-neg it means each time i have to go to triage for an anti-d jag(pain in the bum - literally)! They have also told me there is nothing to worry about and have checked baby and me over each time to which they are satisfied. They said they have no idea why I'm having these bleeds but it could be related to a UTI.. not sure how that works as i have yet to develop one after a bleed. I was also admitted to triage a couple of weeks ago as they thought i was in preterm labour, but it turned out this time i did actually have a UTI but had no bleeding.. typical! Sent home with antibiotics. I am a nursery nurse and had to finish up on mat leave at 26.5 weeks because of the bleeding as they thought it could have something to do with all the lifting and running about after little ones, not sure though and probably won't ever find out! I'm now 34+5 and my baby is completely healthy and is very active (a little too active sometimes smile) Try not to worry yourself and if ever in any doubt give the midwives a call, i think that's really the only thing you can do as well as put your feet up! Hope it gets better soon xx

surfmama Mon 13-Aug-12 22:49:10

yex from about 14 weeks onwards sometimes a bit of light pink, often quite allot of brown. worried myself silly. back and forth to hosi, although midwife wasn't worried, and nothing found. did talk about prom, but now have lovely 7 week old here not sleeping like she should! they found cyst in delivery which probably explained it. wishing you a peaceful pregnancy and try some relaxation, doesn't make it go away but might get you throu, i did a really gentle yoga one to one and a tai chi class, they were great distractions x

I experienced this. i had a couple of spots 5hen I went on to miscarry at 23 weeks in april. But I had cramps aswell. All i can say is dont let them mess you around. They told me it was nothing and wouldnt let me icome in... until my mum got on the phone 4-5hours later they let me go in and it was to late. If your concerned just walk in! Sorry if I scared to just wanted to tell you to act straight away so nothing bad happens (probably won't) I was infected and had a weak cervix

surfmama Tue 14-Aug-12 04:25:22

oh riley, i am so sorry that is awful feel for you. i too had cramps and am feeling blessed right now.

DueInSeptember Tue 14-Aug-12 13:46:35

I'm 34 weeks pregnant with DD2. In both pregnancies I had very light brown spotting off and on. This was from 15 to 24 weeks with DD1 and in this pregnancy it was from 18 to 24 weeks. It's never been red blood though, always brown with no cramps. Some tiny brown clots at the end of each time.

Think it's been blamed on cervical erosion but not officially seen or diagnosed.

It's a really worrying time though, hope it goes away soon for you!

I've just experienced a miscarriage again today at 8 weeks. Everything happens for a reason. Brown blood is fine, its bright red to be worried about best thing to do is relax, your baby can feel when your stressed. x

Tugstonia Fri 17-Aug-12 06:32:01

Riley I'm so sorry sad Take care, sending you hugs x

How are you doing Harbot? Hope all ok. I'm 18 weeks and had lots of brown blood yesterday. MW told me to go to A&E and they found heartbeat. Doc mentioned cervical erosion but reckoned it was a vaginal infection (bacterial vaginosis) and gave me antibiotics. Tried to examine me but it was agony even trying to get the speculum in, which is what convinced her it's an infection. She did a swab though and will get results tomorrow. I'm seeing usual mw today and will ask for a scan today to check all is ok in the womb and with cervix. Trying not to worry but it's hard!

Harbot Fri 17-Aug-12 08:16:20

Thank you so much for your messages.

Riley, I am so sorry for both your losses. I really hope that you are getting lots of love and support x

I've just reached 24 weeks & feel that the hospital are finally taking me seriously, I'm going to be scanned again next week plus have a referral to see a consultant. So I now at least feel that I am getting some professional support. I almost daren't start hoping (every time I start hoping, I bleed again) but I have had 4 days clear so fingers, toes, legs - everything I have! crossed. Tugstonia, I agree, it's so hard not to worry. I have started to set aside time in the day when I allow myself to worry and think about it all, which enables me to sometimes (although not always) stop my worrying from taking over everything I do!

Midgetm Fri 17-Aug-12 12:10:04

Riley so sorry for your losses.

Harbot I have had had brown bleeding in this pregnancy and I am currently 30 weeks and all is well. Never any reason for it - the last lot went on for about 4 weeks, and I was convinced it was all over (also have a history of recurrent miscarriage) but in the end managed to relax as the baby was scanned and checked plenty of times and movements began to reassure me. Glad you are getting this taken seriously. Unfortunately it takes getting to 24 weeks for some HCP's to take action because that is the magic time when babies become more viable on the outside. I also have everything crossed for you. Let us know how you get on.

Harbot Sat 18-Aug-12 11:40:16

Midgetm I'm glad everything is ok for you and agree, suddenly at 24 weeks, everything seems to be different. I'll let you know how it goes next week.

Tugstonia how are you getting on, did you get your swab results? Fingers crossed that everything is ok for you.

Tugstonia Sat 18-Aug-12 12:15:24

Thanks Harbot. Swab results aren't ready yet and was told to call back on Monday... Hmm. However I did go back to (my usual) hospital yesterday and MW and doc diagnosed a UTI and gave me different antibiotics. Said it could be bacterial vaginosis but more likely a UTI because of the pain, although they said neither infection would the brown blood. Doc just said there's often unexplained bleeding in pregnancy, told me to finish both lots of antibiotics to cover any possible infection and to go back if it gets worse or the blood is bright red. I'm only getting teeny bits of brown now when I wipe so I really hope that that is it and I can relax!
So glad you're seeing a consultant and will be scanned next week, it's so important to feel supported. Let us know how you get on.

Harbot Tue 21-Aug-12 09:47:31

Just thought I'd let you know that I went in for a scan yesterday and it showed that the baby is growing fine, plus I saw a consultant who seems to think that the fact that I have now had 7 clear days is a good sign. They're going to see and scan me every 4 weeks so I'm feeling that at least if I do have more bleeding, I am getting some proper support.

Tugstonia any news at your end? I'm hoping that the pain has died down. I forgot to mention that when my (brown) bleeding was at its worst, I was also diagnosed with a UTI. Not sure it's connected but it did explain my cramps which was a relief.

Tugstonia Tue 21-Aug-12 09:58:00

Harbot that's such great news smile So pleased for you and great that you'll be scanned every 4 weeks, must be a relief. Did they give you any clue about what have caused the bleeding?

No more brown blood for me and the pain is definitely better. I got the test and swab results back and they're all clear so I didn't have BV or a UTI after all. Obviously I'm pleased about that (despite having to take a pile of antibiotics) but it still doesn't explain the bleeding! It's odd as well because when the midwife did a dipstick test of my urine it showed blood in the urine and leukocytes, indicating an infection. Anyway I finish my antib's tomorrow so any infection there was will hopefully have been dealt with.

Luckily tomorrow I have an appointment with my obs consultant about my thyroid (a whole different story!) and so will talk about the bleeding etc with her then and hopefully get a scan too.

Onwards and upwards!

Harbot Tue 21-Aug-12 10:44:35

No they had no idea at all! It's frustrating not having an explanation but I think I am allowed to start feeling hopeful again as the baby seems ok.

That is such a relief about the swab results, I'm so pleased that things are looking better for you too, and good luck tomorrow! I'd love to hear how it goes. It took me 3 weeks to get them to scan me so I really hope that you get something quicker.

Tugstonia Wed 22-Aug-12 17:23:29

Just back from consultant appt. Doc said no infection and cervix looks fine and no erosion. She said most likely cause of blood was from the placenta, which can happen when a small blood vessel at the edge of the placenta ruptures and forms a clot resulting in brown discharge for a few days. She said it's fairly common, esp if you have a low anterior placenta as I do. Harbot where's your placenta?

The doc told me not to worry (yeah right!) and to go back if i get more bleeding and it's red and heavy because then it's more serious (no shit!). She said she didn't need to scan me today as she was happy it was nothing serious but listened to heartbeat again which is always lovely smile I have my anomaly scan on 14th Sept and am seeing consultant again on 19th so at least I have some follow-up to look forward to. Going to try to relax now...

Harbot Thu 23-Aug-12 17:02:38

Tugstonia that sounds like good news to me. You also got a potential explanation which I imagine may help? My placenta is posterior and not low so not sure it would apply to me, In fact, they seem to have no idea at all what it could be!

Good luck with your scan! I'm also being scanned again and seeing consultant on 17th Sept so let's hope that the bleeding stays away for both of us. I've also been told to do no exercise and rest as much as poss.

Hope you manage to relax!

Asemking Sun 28-Dec-14 11:34:02

Thanks for the registration.

Asemking Sun 28-Dec-14 11:44:12

I my wife is 6 weeks pregnant. At 4wks+ she found a brown blood stain in her panties, 4 days later; she found another brown blood stain. Scan reveals 5wks 5days sac with no fatal pole yet.
Dr. Said it could be a sign of misscarriage but placed her under medication (1 injection per week for 4 weeks with some drugs)
Today, 4 days after d last blood stain, she found another brown blood stain. Her next scan is in 9 days time.
Does it have anything to do with cyst? Cos she treated cyst abt a year ago.
I am worried for her and my baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now