Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Diet/healthy eating when pregnant!

(8 Posts)
iwanttobeamummy Wed 06-Jun-12 09:40:01

yeeeeh it finally happened im pregnant. im so excited!

but.. before getting pregnant id planned on loosing 14kg. but i only got as far as loosing 2kg

a while ago i read on here that there was a book recommended on here about how to lose weight in a healthy way during pregnancy. does anyone know the name of that book?

or does anyone have any other ideas. of course the most important thing for me is that my baby will be healthy. but i want to feel as beautiful as possible when the baby is born

thank you x

EarnestDullard Wed 06-Jun-12 10:39:02

Congratulations smile

I think, generally speaking, if you're overweight in pregnancy then it's recommended that you try not to gain much weight, rather than actually losing it. If you focus on eating healthy, balanced meals in sensible portion sizes, and getting some exercise (walking, swimming, yoga and pilates for example), you should find that you won't gain too much. Your midwife will be able to advise you, they might even be able to refer you to a dietician or similar if necessary.

BabylannShallFall Wed 06-Jun-12 10:45:45

Congratulations smile

I've been wondering this too. I'm not too desperate to lose weight during pregnancy, but I don't want to hinder the weight loss I had already worked to achieve. When I was pregnant with DD, I went from a size 12-14 to a size 22, and have only recently got back to 14-16. I don't want that to happen again this time around, it's too much hard work!

So like Earnest said, I'm just continuing to eat healthily. I think as long as you don't restrict calories below the recommended for pregnancy (which is about 1900ish in 1st trimester, and goes up by 100-200 calories per trimester), then you're okay. You can count calories on myfitnesspal quite well.

Lots of water and try not to stop your current exercise levels (just substitute exercises you can't do now you're pregnant with safer ones like walking, swimming, yoga) and stop if you ever feel like you're getting too worn out or anything starts making signs it's gonna start hurting soon. And obviously trying to find healthy alternatives for any high calorie cravings.

I saw a thread for people who were overweight in pregnancy, but I can't find it now, so it might be nice to start one of our own for people who are in a similar situation and want support.

thereistheball Wed 06-Jun-12 11:03:03

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I was put on a diet as soon as I got pregnant, to delay the onset of the gestational diabetes that I had quite severely last time. I am now at 18 weeks, carrying twins, and have lost 2-3kg while eating healthily. Here are my eating guidelines. In general the key thing is to avoid processed food as much as possible, and refined sugar.

Breakfast: 60g wholemeal bread (get a proper loaf not ready-sliced, which will have sugar in), plus butter and some protein if you like, plus a plain yoghurt, tea or coffee
Snack: piece of whole fruit (I have lived on Granny Smith apples)
Lunch: as much salad or cooked veg as you like, plus up to 6 level soup spoons of carbs (wholegrain better than white, so try wild rice or wholegrain pasta, or lentils/chickpeas etc) plus some protein. 20g bread.
Snack: piece of whole fruit, plain yog
Supper: as lunch
Snack if necessary before bed: plain yog

Note that the only sugar you are eating is fructose in whole fruit - the fibre will help you digest this more slowly. Fruit juice is not allowed. Also try to avoid too much fat (I can't not eat cheese but can happily bake rather than fry food, give up vinaigrette and sauces, etc).

This way of eating will:

- help you control any morning sickness through regular eating
- control your blood sugar levels and therefore your energy levels, so you are less likely to grab quick-fix energy-boosts which will leave you feeling tired later on. Early pregnancy is tiring enough already without making it worse for yourself by eating badly.
- help you lose weight in a controlled, healthy manner (if you were overweight to begin with)

It does look strict but if you are not predisposed to diabetes you may not need to follow it precisely: if you try to use it as a guideline it will still help.

I hope that's helpful. Enjoy your pregnancy.

whatsoever Wed 06-Jun-12 15:14:04

iwanttobeamummy I sympathise - I joined Weight Watchers after Christmas with 2.5 stones to lose and had only lost 1/2 stone when I found out I was pregnant.

You can go to Slimming World when you are pregnant but they concentrate on you putting on no more than 2 stone rather than actively encouraging you to lose weight (although when I was there a couple of years ago a very overweight lady lost weight throughout her pregnancy and that was seen as fine).

I would echo what BabyIannShallFall said about keeping up exercsie - this hasn't worked for me sadly as I have meralgia parasthetica so walking is out and I'm down to yoga and the odd swim.

Other than general healthy eating and exercising, I don't think dieting, unless under supervison is the best idea.

HRH1980 Wed 06-Jun-12 20:10:05

Hi, I am fingers crossed pregnant and been with slimming world just under 2 months.......if you want you can get a referral from your doc/midwife if pregnant and get to go for free, so you can manage and keep a healthy pregnancy smile

xPennyx Thu 08-Nov-12 13:16:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Thu 08-Nov-12 13:59:15

I joined weightwatchers in July. Fell pregnant at the end of July but didn't find out until I was 10 weeks. By this point I had lost 1.5 stone. I've continued to follow the plan (without going to meetings) although I've been a bit relaxed when pregnancy needs insist. I've lost about 2 stone now, although I see the loss is slowing down now I've entered the second trimester.

14+3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now