Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Exposed to slapped cheek

(24 Posts)
SoozyWoozy Mon 14-May-12 12:47:07

I'm 30weeks pregnant and I've been in close contact with slapped cheek (my DC has it).

The info online is confusing... does anyone know if I need a blood test to check immunity or am I ok as it is after 20w?

TIA for any info / advice.

PieMistress Mon 14-May-12 12:56:59

I did a bit of reading on this as thought DS had it a few weeks ago. From what I read you are okay if it is after 20w but I would probably get your immunity checked (just so you know) and they can also do a scan to check blood flow (as I think this is what slapped cheek can affect but only before 20w or something)?

SoozyWoozy Mon 14-May-12 13:51:22

I thought the same thing... will call GP surgery once open for afternoon surgery

littlemissnormal Mon 14-May-12 15:52:32

I was exposed at 34 weeks and my midwife did a blood test to confirm that I was immune which thankfully I am. There's been 2 cases in the local news here recently where babies have been still born at full term through a link with slapped cheek so I think the risk is there through the whole pregnancy?

PieMistress Mon 14-May-12 16:24:14

Has your DS definitely been diagnosed with slapped cheek?

Admittedly I thought my DS had it but it only lasted a day so thought it must have been earache or teething?

mrsshears Mon 14-May-12 16:28:02

Why oh why did i even click on this thread,i have been exposed too at 37 weeks, i checked via the net and with my midwife and was reassured that as i was over 20 weeks there was no real risk,only to now read the post above which will worry the hell out of me over the next few weeks!!!!
How on earth is your post helpful to anyone littlemissnormal?
If someone has been exposed to it there really isnt a great deal they can do now anyway is there? so the mention of stillbirth being associated with slapped cheek is unecessary and very thoughtless of you imo.Thanks very much angry

Lora1982 Mon 14-May-12 20:06:54

wow... she wasnt the only person to post

littlemissnormal Mon 14-May-12 20:29:01

Errm so I'll just not mention anything bad at all then? We've had a midwife struck off in this area for ignoring this issue, and it scared the shit out of me which is why I got tested so please, tell me why I should of just said "la la la don't worry it'll all be fine it's nothing to worry about"?????

SoozyWoozy Mon 14-May-12 20:36:48

Oh dear sad I didn't have a problem with littlemiss post...

Anyway, spoke to my GP who said the risks drastically reduce after 20w but rare to get Slapped Cheek in pregnancy and most women who have Slapped Cheek in pregnancy have healthy babies

To be on the safe side I'm having a blood test to check immunity, if I have no immunity and get Slapped Cheek they'll know what it is and start treatment ASAP.

pie Gp didn't want to see the DCs, I explained symptoms and there are lots of cases in the area so very likely thats what it is. They are essentially well, and my youngest's symptoms came and went very quickly so I didn't think it was SC, but apparently that's a normal pattern. GP said that many children have it and you wouldn't know anything about it.

mrsshears Mon 14-May-12 20:41:00

So what can you actually do if you get tested and you are not immune????
Answer= nothing at all, so how is it at all helpful to start talking about stillbirth? what will that achieve other than to 'scare the shit out of people'
As i said, really unhelpful and thoughtless.

SoozyWoozy Mon 14-May-12 20:52:29

I think I'd rather know that I wasn't immune so if I did become unwell I could start antiviral treatment at the earliest opportunity and have the necessary scans, rather than waiting for diagnosis / feeling fluey and wondering what was going on.

mrsshears Mon 14-May-12 20:56:53

It's my understanding that there is nothing that can be done anyway after 20 weeks soozywoozy or at least that's the info i have been given.

SoozyWoozy Mon 14-May-12 21:04:11

Yes, there is. You can start antivirals to limit the progression of the disease, you get referred to a fetal medicine centre and they can treat fetus if affected by means of fetal blood sampling and an intrauterine transfusion, and also start routine scanning in either case.

The risk of the fetus being adversely affected after 20w is minimal though.

mrsshears Mon 14-May-12 21:05:42

Also i don't think there is an antiviral you can take??

Sophiathesnowfairy Mon 14-May-12 21:05:55

I think if you are not immune you can get a shot of immunoglobin (or something) I had this issue at 12ish weeks and midwife rushed me in for an urgent bloodiest, luckily am immune. I have heard though most people are immune but don't know it, they have had it and passed it off as a high temp. Have to admit I was a blubbery mess in the doctors waiting room, is the unknown is scary, chances are will all be ok. Fingers crossed.

mrsshears Mon 14-May-12 21:12:30

Xpost there.
I think the scanning is only applicable before 20 weeks?? i will just agree to disagree and hope you get the help/reassurance you need.
I get incredibly annoyed with thoughtless comments like that of littlemissnormal pregnancy is/can be a worry time anyway without people adding to it.

SoozyWoozy Mon 14-May-12 21:15:05

No, there isn't a specific antiviral, but in the same way they use broad-spectrum antibiotics they would do the same with antiviral. Most effective is immunoglobulin, anti-imflammatories and transfusion.

My mum said they thought I had Rubella as a child, even though i had been immunised, and apparently the rash looks very similar - so I have possibly had it anyway and have my own immunity.

Bratella Mon 14-May-12 21:17:29

my ds had it - childminder was about 35 weeks at the time and the midwife got her blood checked for immunity straight away. (she was fine btw in terms of having already had it). All the advice my docs gave me was that most people have had it but in mild form and think its just general aches and pains or a cold at worse. DS had been complaining for weeks of general aches and like the cruel busy mama I am, ignored it until the rash. Its rare for it to be serious esp after 20 weeks according to my docs.

minceorotherwise Mon 14-May-12 21:18:48

If the post is inaccurate then I would agree. If not, then although it may be upsetting, the more info you have about potential risks the better IMHO
If you know you are at risk you can be more closely monitored if nothing else surely
Don't shoot the messenger

SoozyWoozy Mon 14-May-12 21:21:12

They only scan if concerned about hydrops or growth, but unlikely anyway after 20w. It is probably different for every area, like anything you'd get something different in each NHS trust you went to ;)

bratella my GP said the same, couldn't get hold of my MW on the one occasion I've needed to call LOL! I feel OK though, and I'm not particularly worried but always err on the side of caution smile

BeehavingBaby Mon 14-May-12 21:28:47

There's only a danger to the fetus if you actually develop Slapped Cheek yourself and the chance of transmitting it to your baby decreases as the pregnancy progresses. Adults can have no symptoms though so a blood test for both previous and recent infection is what you should be offered. Where I work we can retest your original booking bloods for immunity (apparently only 50% of adult women are but seems higher in practice) but would take new bloods too. It is certainly worth finding out whether you have an active infection (unlikely) as you would be monitored by the fetal medicine unit and treated as needed.

SoozyWoozy Mon 14-May-12 21:31:23

beehaving thank you smile That is pretty much what my GP said although I haven't repeated as eloquently as you!

dippywhentired Tue 15-May-12 12:24:02

I was exposed to my nephew who had slapped cheek at about the 20 week mark. Blood test showed I wasn't immune so I had to have another scan a few weeks later to check all was ok with the baby. She's now a healthy 4 year-old.

Kittykitkat1701 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:29:29

Just wondering if there's any update on those who were exposed and other immune... I'm 14+5 and have the virus, going for a growth scan tomorrow before I get my referral from fetal medicine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now