Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Alexander Tecnique during pregnancy

(5 Posts)
applecrumple Mon 07-May-12 15:20:28

I was recommended this by a mumsnetter after posting a thread about my slipped disc. I've read on the Internet about being careful sung alternative therapies during pregnancy. Was just wondering if anyone on here has used ( or knows someone who has used) the Alexander Tecnique during pregnancy & if they had any problems/issues?

Roscat Mon 07-May-12 18:48:59

Alexander technique is a very gentle technique & I can't imagine it could do any harm in pregnancy. It teaches you to relax key muscles through awareness. I think the breathing techniques would only assist & prepare u well for labour. I've used Alexander technique on & off for years & it's give me a good degree of control over neck pain.

EdithWeston Mon 07-May-12 21:54:43

I found it immensely helpful, and am sure it is very safe (it's about improving how you move an releasing bad habits - no manipulation or exercises).

You might like to look at the website of the Society of Teachers of Alexander Technique for more info, and how to find a local teacher.

applecrumple Tue 08-May-12 21:01:26

Thanks Edith, that website is really helpful.

Georgiemum123 Wed 10-Oct-12 14:11:25

I think AT is great too! Not just for me but for my kids too - great for reminding us all to sit up straight! Btw it is International Alexander Awareness Week, introductory lessons are available http://www.stat.org.uk/pages/courses/aaw2012.htm this shows what's in area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now