Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Knock to tummy - 14 weeks pregnant

(23 Posts)
Loudness Sun 06-May-12 19:00:32

I was watching TV earlier with a book across my stomach when DH reached across to squeeze my hand which was resting on top of the book. He did it in a fit of excitement but his enthusiasm meant that he pressed my hand on my book and my stomach fairly hard. It shocked me because we'd been sitting quietly and it was very sudden. I ended up shouting at him not to touch me anywhere near my tummy. The poor man looked very dejected sad .

What sort of force/blow to my stomach do I need to worry about? This was a knock done from a moment of excitement / stupidity but I am such a worrier so looking for reassurance. It didn't hurt my tummy so it can't have hurt baby can it? Poor DH is feeling very sorry for himself...

PotteringAlong Sun 06-May-12 19:02:13

You will be fine! (as will the baby!).

They are very well protected in there!

Elsathelion Sun 06-May-12 19:18:27

Hi OP,

Pottering is right, your little person is safely tucked away and has tons of protection around him / her at the moment. I think at 14 weeks that your uterus is only just at the top of your pelvis so you'd have to have a huge knock to have an impact on mini-Loudness.

I am not an expert but from what I was told by my MW (after being hoofed in the tummy by a huge dog at 16weeks), if you are feeling fine, your LO will be safe and snuggly.

HTH smile

Loudness Sun 06-May-12 19:25:05

Thank you it does help. I think it was more the shock than anything - all of a sudden a giant hairy hand descends on my stomach as he made a loud "oooh". And as the book was there it made a loudish noise on that too. His way of telling me he loves me - I respond with "wtf do you think your doing?! Why the hell did you do that you moron?!"

I'm pretty sure the resulting knock would have been just below my belly button and baby is still lower down than that isn't it?

Elsathelion Sun 06-May-12 19:30:18

Yes, your uterus won't be near your belly button yet (I think the top reaches the belly button at 20 weeks) and even if your tummy did get a bit of a squishing, the uterus will still be thick enough to be a fab shock absorber for the LO (plus all the amniotic fluid).

Hope your DH is a little more gentle from now on!

X

Loudness Sun 06-May-12 19:34:52

Oh yes! I think he'll be too scared to come near me now wink

icravecheese Sun 06-May-12 19:35:36

Honestly don't worry at all, baby will be fine....is this your 1st pregnancy? I had baby no3 last year - she is absolutely perfect & survived a very 'rough' 9 months in the womb, in that my 4 yr old & 2 yr old spent most of the pregnancy prodding, poking etc the bump. 2yr old regularly threw tantrums (was going through that hissy fit age!) & I had to calm her / hold her / restrain her, (if you know what I mean!) all the time her knocking / kicking the bump. I also carried her around alot, resting on my stomach. No harm done to baby at all!

Also, I had a student sonographer do a 34wk scan with baby no3 last year, she pressed SOOOOOOO hard with her hand scanner thingy, it really bloody hurt! Suffice to say, baby didnt notice a thing in her lovely, squishy, cushioned womb.

LunaticFringe Sun 06-May-12 19:38:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlpinePony Sun 06-May-12 19:41:33

Oh dear, I hope you can cal down and apologise - it was quite the over-reaction.

If books caused miscarriages, pregnant teens would go to the library, not Marie stopes!

icravecheese Sun 06-May-12 19:50:10

AlpinePony - have you never been pregnant?!! Pregnant ladies are totally allowed to over react / over worry / over eat / over everything in my book! I was a total paranoid maniac during pregnancy - all 3 times, it didnt get any better with subsequent babies!!

Not that i'm suggesting OP is over reacting - just that you're perfectly entitled to do so when carrying precious cargo wink

Loudness Sun 06-May-12 20:02:02

Ah thanks icravecheese smile

This is my first pregnancy and there is something most days that I worry about. I think it's only natural though and it's great to have mumsnet to come to for all the fantastic reassurance!

AlpinePony Sun 06-May-12 20:04:47

There's a difference between a genuine reason to worry and getting your knickers in a twist over something so stupid.

It's this type of mentality which has people scared to eat eggs, cheddar, walk more than half a mile, eat a liquer or just get hold of a good grip.

To answer your question, not only have I carried two children, but presumably, like yourself - my bump survived being leapt on by a toddler - never mind being grazed by a penguin classic!

ViolaCrayola Sun 06-May-12 20:10:36

My DS (2) is always elbowing/leaning on/headbutting/bouncing on/kicking my bump. I try to defend my tummy (subtly) at all times now to minimise contact. The first few times it happened I really freaked out - not at DS of course, but I was really worried.

But now I keep telling myself what people have said above - baby is so well protected in there - it would really have to take something like a car/bike accident to cause harm - and even then often the baby is fine.

Glad you're feeling reassured now - I know just what's it's like smile

MrsNouveauRichards Sun 06-May-12 20:22:00

In the nicest possible way, you do need to calm down a little or your pregnancy will be very long and very stressful.

With dc1 I was thrown from a horse at 12wks - the Dr or midwife were not bothered about seeing me sooner than my scan a week later.

I then got trampled by a loose horse at 20wks resulting in a serious limb injury - the bump was fine.

These babies are so well protected floating around in their bubble. Please try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy.

LetsKateWin Sun 06-May-12 20:35:19

Your baby will be fine, don't worry. I woke up on my belly when I was about 18 weeks and the baby was fine. I also 'forgot' that I was pregnant later on in the pregnancy and lay face down on the bed when I was changing the sheets when I was around 20 weeks so the baby survived my laying on her twice.

Purplelooby Sun 06-May-12 21:43:17

I managed to fall over on the way up the stairs landing on mny hand but banging my tummy first, and I also managed to do the same as LetsKateWin except that I kind of dived on the bed belly first. Anyway he's fine so don't worry - they are really well protected in there.

Chunkychicken Sun 06-May-12 21:50:41

A friend fell down the stairs twice when pg (& quite heavily so I believe) & baby was fine (she was bruised!!). Not a recommendation obviously but just goes to show... smile

Loudness Sun 06-May-12 22:14:17

Thanks ladies for the reassurance.

Do any of you/have any of you felt for your fundus? Is it safe to do this by just having a feel around (aka a prod and a poke) or is there a 'special' safe way of doing it that the trained medical staff use?

Babyno3tobe Sun 06-May-12 23:49:23

Same as others Hun I'm sure lo is fine, my 4yo niece jumped straight into my bump at 37wks pregnant after being told not to jump on the sofa and near me (but what kid does as their told lol) apart from cramps for the day lo was fine

Chunkychicken Mon 07-May-12 08:14:21

As far as I can see Loudness with any abdominal exam, its just poking & prodding whilst knowing what things should feel like. If you think you might be able to feel it, go for it!! As everyone has said, amniotic fluid is s great shock absorber & your uterus is quite a thick muscle - the only worry is hurting yourself!!

Findingmyfeet15 Sun 19-Jul-15 19:39:40

I realise this post is a few years old alpine pony - what is the point of you coming on these sites?! To shame woman into not asking questions?! In case you didn't realise - first time mums don't have a clue (me included) these sites are great because they reassure us on the concerns that might seem ridiculous to you but are genuine concerns. I'm so pleased that you were born with this incredible innate knowledge - but please - for the rest of us mere mortals , back off and let us have our worries and stresses and overreactions. I'm sure there is a 'perfect parent' forum just dying to hear your views!

UrethraFranklin1 Sun 19-Jul-15 20:54:55

Dredging up a three year old post to berate someone is about the stupidest thing I've seen on here, so your high handed tone is more than a little hypocritical hmm
Don't tell people what or where to post, and don't dig up zombie posts to do so, its very bad form.
Not to mention Alpine had a bloody good point anyway.

sarkymare Sun 19-Jul-15 21:08:03

incase you didn't realise- first time mums don't have a clue

How bloody patronising!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now