Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant with Haemophilus Influenzae

(8 Posts)
Cubacat2011 Sun 08-Apr-12 11:37:16

Hello,

I am 28 weeks pregnant. After weeks of being ill and having a cough with my GP telling me its a virus, I finally ended up in hospital last week. I had a sputum and blood test which tested positive for Haemophilus Influenzae. I was given 7 days of antibiotics. After 3 days I felt so much better and relieved, feeling better lasted a week. Unfortunately the cough and tight chest is returning. I am so worried about my baby, when i asked at the hospital if my baby was safe with me having Haemophilus Influenzae they said - yes. But now that I've researched it more, I'm very concerned. Has anyone else had this before? Was your baby ok after the birth? Have you taken antibiotics while pregnant? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much x

ragged Sun 08-Apr-12 11:51:53

Sorry you're going thru this sad. I can't help but don't want you ignored. Was it HIb?

granule Sun 08-Apr-12 11:59:54

Im currently in hospital at 39.3 with a nasty chest infection. They haven't given it a particular name so I don't know how different your HI is.

Their priority is to get me better with ab's, anti-coagulants and regular nebulisers. None of which will harm the baby.

What is potentially dangerous to an unborn child is a high temp so do get them monitoring and treating you sharpish if you feel yourself going downhill again.

Cubacat2011 Sun 08-Apr-12 12:16:39

Granule, sorry to hear your hospital, get well. Mine too was a chest infection caused but Haemophilus Influenzae bacteria although I didn't have a temp but sore head, very tired, bad cough and pulled muscles. Ragged- Yes its HIb, what i need to check when my surgery is open on Tuesday; Is have I been immunised for that when I was younger if so why would I test positive. I'm quite confused and feeling really uninformed.

Granule- Please let me know when your results come in and if you begin to feel better! Take care.

granule Sun 08-Apr-12 12:23:24

Thanks, Cuba smile

The pulled muscles are dreadful aren't they? Constant coughing with a full term lump of a baby has been no fun. The upside is that signs suggest I'm in early labour so that'll take my mind off it wink

Hope you feel much better soon.

Edonoh03 Mon 06-Apr-15 12:57:25

Hi I was wondering if everything worked out with your pregnancy after being infected with Haemophilus Influenza? I have recently had a productive chest and congested sinuses but no fevers or rigours. I did a sputum specimen and it revealed H.Influenza. I was placed on antibiotics immediately before I received the results of the pathogen which immediately helped but need to go back to the doctor as need a different type as some of the strain of the bacteria are resistant. I felt so worried after reading all the articles on invasive hib. I was hoping to see if anyone has had it and what outcomes they have had? Fingers crossed

mumxof3x Mon 06-Apr-15 15:45:40

Hi edon,

I went into labour whilst been quite poorly with my ds2. During labour my temp shot up so they took bloods. It revealed I had heamophilus influenzea which I prob had for sometime as id been ill a while. I had i.v antib's for 3 days and then 7 days oral ones but this was after having my baby as it took them a day to work out what culture was growing in my blood. My ds was fine, totally unaffected and I was fine after the antibiotics too.

Bavmorda Wed 16-Dec-15 18:46:12

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm in the same position at 36 weeks. Does anyone else have experience?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now