Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy Yoga DVD recommendation

(13 Posts)
Macaroons Mon 26-Mar-12 12:52:02

Hi, just wondering if anyone has come across any good pregnancy yoga / pilate DVD that they would recommend for beginners?

I've been to a pregnancy yoga class few weeks ago, but the timing and location are not convenient, as the exercise are very gentle (breathing exercise and stretching exercise mainly) so I'm thinking I can do those simple exercise at home myself.

Thanks

Macaroons Mon 26-Mar-12 13:04:38

I'm just browsing on amazon, there's one by Tara Lee, one by Shiva Rea, and one called Buddha Bellies. They all have mixed reviews, as one would expect. Would anyone recommend / not recommend any of these ? Thanks.

HowardMoonsTinyEyes Mon 26-Mar-12 17:04:10

I've got both Tara Lee and Buddha Bellies (keen bean - didn't want to get too bored of same routine). Both are good and have a menu of classes to choose from, in my opinion I slightly prefer Tara Lee, nice music (although some may find annoying after a while) and like a lot of the positions she chooses.

littlemissnormal Mon 26-Mar-12 17:57:36

According to my yoga teacher there are loads of demos etc on YouTube!

VeronicaSpeedwell Mon 26-Mar-12 18:04:29

I also really like the Tara Lee, though I did a fair bit of yoga before. If you never have, you might want a bit more advice on how to align your feet, knees and hips in poses like the triangle, which I can imagine might be hard to learn to just from a DVD, especially while pregnant. I go to a pregnancy yoga class, and that assumes no prior knowledge. I'd say the Tara Lee DVD is harder than the class (which sounds a bit like yours). The Tara Lee DVD has more of what I am used to thinking of as yoga. I think the mixed reviews come from the fact that the people buying the DVDs have vastly different taste and experience. Can you try getting some from the local library? That might be a good way of trying them out. Or yes, hit YouTube for som tasters.

I do think yoga is great in pregnancy; it really makes me feel like I have more space in both mind and body, and both are getting pretty cramped at the moment!

Macaroons Tue 27-Mar-12 18:28:37

Thanks all for the recommendation. Have just ordered the Buddhabellies to start with as it sounds less hardcore and I am a beginner. When I'm more used to yoga might get the Tara Lee one too. Thanks.

xPennyx Thu 08-Nov-12 11:50:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

xPennyx Thu 08-Nov-12 11:50:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Lorelei353 Fri 09-Nov-12 12:56:47

There are some good classes on youtube but you could also consider signing up for yogaglo.com? It's $18 a month and they stream loads of classes. There are quite a few prenatal and postnatal classes there. What I like about it, is that you can search by time as well as keyword so if you only have 15 mins and want to do something, you can get a class for that. If you have an hour, and want to focus on your sciatic area, there's a class for that.

PeshwariNaan Fri 09-Nov-12 16:41:32

I like the Tara Lee one. I've done yoga before but it was years ago and I hated it. I found her DVD very relaxing and it has excellent breathing exercises and a visualisation as well. I'd recommend it.

LilllyV Fri 09-Nov-12 17:08:04

I really liked the Tara Lee one too!
I've found some good poses to help with back pain on here though www.fittamamma.com/section.php/43/1/yoga_when_pregnant_

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Fri 09-Nov-12 18:06:18

Another vote for the Tara Lee one...I don't ordinarily do yoga so am a beginner but found it doable. I really like that there are different sections on the DVD so that you can choose what to do depending on your mood/energy.

CitizenOscar Sun 11-Nov-12 23:57:10

I liked the Buddha bellies one but haven't tried the Tara Lee. I found Nicole Croft (of the BB yoga DVD) less annoying than the teachers on most yoga DVDs. I also liked the different routines for level of yoga and/or pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now