Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Losing the baby weight

(21 Posts)
hectorlion Mon 13-Feb-12 11:40:12

Hi everyone,
I'm not sure whether this is the best place to post, so apologies if I should be somewhere else.
I gave birth 3 months ago and am currently 3 stone overweight. (TMI ahead!) I had a bottom full of stitches and pelvic floor is currently in dire need of help (am seeing a consultant in a few weeks).
I saw my father at the weekend and he kindly (!) told me I was overweight and needed to lose weight. Although, I could have murdered him, he's right, I do. Baby's baptism is in 2 months and I desperately want to look decent for this.
Has anyone got any advice and ideas for exercise??
I used to run every day, but can't do this now due to the pelvic floor problems. I'm not going swimming as nothing would currently get me into a swimming costume!
Main problem is bottom and thighs. Breastfeeding is dwindling now, so not much of a problem here. Help!!!!

melliebobs Mon 13-Feb-12 11:54:04

Walking.....EVERYWHERE!!!

Also do you have sky? Further down the channel list there are some pretty good workout programmes you could do in your living room!

Main thing is to start slowly and gradually build yourself up

Trickle Mon 13-Feb-12 12:04:38

Pilates - helps sort out pelvic floor and you can get a vid and do it in your own home, it's not really a weightloss tool (or at least I havn't found it to be so) but toning up and getting stronger will get you fitter to the point you are abel to do other excercise and you'll look better regardless of your size. You can get swimming cozzies that cover from your legs up to your bust like this http://shop.swimmingwithoutstress.co.uk/sws/swimming-goggles/aqua-sphere-scarlett-clipback-swimming-costume.shtml - and there are plenty of larger sized ladies at the aqua aerobics I go to - and that will loose you some weight smile

hectorlion Mon 13-Feb-12 12:21:36

Thanks so much for your advice.
It doesn't help that I live in an area of London where all new mothers appear to be super, super skinny and terribly glamorous. Hence, the fear of the swimming pools!

Trickle Mon 13-Feb-12 12:48:43

I bet all the 'normal' new mothers feel exactly like you do and are hiding from the skinnies very busy grin

hippopo Mon 13-Feb-12 13:14:08

You poor thing. I put on 3 1/2 stone (only. 9 1/2 to begin with ) I found that when I stopped bf it came off quicker as I wasn't do blinking hungry all the time and could stick to diet better. I joined Weight watchers which gave me motivatin and did lots of walking and managed to swim once a week but it was unrealistic to expect me to go to gym or swim more regularly with no childcare and a husband that works long hours. Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself but you can take small steps to get yourself there. X

Joygirl78 Mon 13-Feb-12 13:37:37

I agree with hippopo, it needs to be more diet based as physically difficult to do any proper level of aerobic exercise. And with new baby you are knackered and don't have the time. I heard weight watchers have a programme for women who are still bf. also walk walk walk!!!! Will be easier when the darn weather improves.....

dukeofpork Mon 13-Feb-12 13:41:35

Nothing to suggest but I feel the same sad . But what is worse is that I seem to be unable to cut down on crap food (am bfing still). I have done the shred a few times. It is good (see other threads on this site). But I wonder whether it would be too much for your pelvic floor??
Otherwise we will have to look for plastic surgery on groupon wink

hectorlion Mon 13-Feb-12 13:44:41

Thanks so much. Like hippopo I was also 9 and a half stone, never had a problem with my weight because I exercised.
I have tried to be really good with food. For a fortnight I completely cut out all sugars and 'bad' fats and I actually put on 3lbs! So, I then thought b****r it! The sleep deprivation has made sugar seem like the only answer (I know it isn't!!). It would just be so much easier for me if I could run like I used to. I think I may have to dust off my Cindy Crawford exercise DVD!!

dukeofpork Mon 13-Feb-12 13:55:57

Btw I have read on another thread here that some ladies lose weight when they have finished bfing. I think they thought it was hormonal. And I think they said their bodies toned up a bit naturally. I hope that is not just wishful thinking on my part! You said you were at the point of stopping. Give it a few weeks then. You might be lucky!

Kiwiinkits Tue 14-Feb-12 10:59:35

Search on YouTube for "Sparkpeople": they have a tonne of easy home workouts of about 5-10 minutes each.

hectorlion Tue 14-Feb-12 13:13:09

Ooh thanks Kiwiinkits. Yes, DukeofPork - am hoping that stopping the BFing may magically make me slim again!!!!

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 14-Feb-12 13:43:17

I went on a mad diet to shift my baby weight, which worked (and I kept nearly all the weight off) but I wouldn't recommend it as it was so severe and couldn't have been good for me. I did lose all the weight I had to lose (just over a stone) though in 5 weeks.

Also, I didn't start losing weight until my DD was nearly 2 - it took me that long to feel motivated enough to do anything about it. With sleep deprivation, general exhaustion and being back at work, I simply couldn't manage to do anything about it before then.

Be kind to yourself - yours baby is very small still, you've got physical issues to contend with, and you just need to take small steps.

hectorlion Wed 15-Feb-12 12:38:29

Thanks Happyaseyeam. Am tempted by the mad diets myself. Have never found eating sensibly and exercise hard before. But now, the combination of exhaustion at sleepless nights and running round all day and trying to work (I work for myself at home) makes exercise impossible through the day and frankly by 7pm I just can't do it. Then I feel really bad that I haven't made myself! I just want to be slim again!! I am walking all the time (I don't have a car) but the weight is stubbornly not shifting.

Yummymummyyobe1 Wed 15-Feb-12 13:10:30

SPANDEX KNICKER'S. All the thrill of a dress size smaller and non of the work.

SootySweepandSue Wed 15-Feb-12 13:21:42

I would wait until you have stopped BF, then diet. 3 stone will not vanish with exercise.

I've lost 2.5 stone with about 7 lbs to go. I was 9 stone to start.

DD is 18mos and I started dieting seriously when she was 6 mos. I did low carb but did it for 6 mos, had break for 3 mos, then started again. Doing it in stages seemed to work for me as low carb is a restrictive diet and is hard to stick to long term without a break. Low carb also means no hunger pangs and surprisingly high energy levels.

BlueChampagne Wed 15-Feb-12 13:24:51

How about cycling? Much easier on the pelvic floor than running. A nice gel saddle cover will give extra comfort.

bishboschone Wed 15-Feb-12 13:26:35

Have you got smart phone? Have a look at my fitness pal app. You add all the food you eat and it add sit up for you , trying to stick to 1200 calories . I also put on a shed load of weight and was 9 ish stone before ds . I tried ww and it hasn't worked for me. I started with this app last sat and it is coming off , so hopefully it will work for me . :-)

issimma Wed 15-Feb-12 14:02:53

I lost the baby weight relatively quickly, but am trying to lose the maternity leave weight (crisps for breakfast as a quick and nutritional meal, coffee and cakes with other mums, takeaways on days that we didn't manage to cook). DD is 1yo now, so my plan is to get pregnant sharpish, merge the baby weights and then be like a celebrity 3 weeks postpartum.

RubyOnRails Fri 14-Jun-13 13:35:59

Yeah, three stone overweight here too, three month old baby....can't leave the cake alone....it's so hard, I'm sure u would have lost it by now if I'd been distracted but no, I'm obsessed, get upset then eat. Horrible sad

alvinareagan Sun 14-Feb-16 22:22:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now