Talk

Advanced search

VERY SCARED

(7 Posts)
mummystar Wed 09-Nov-11 02:48:02

I just found out yesterday that i am pregnant, not planed but very much welcomed by me and partner. Now i am in big panic as you can see,can't sleep how worried i am. Last week i got very sick and had to take Clarytromicin for 7 days,which i did . And now ,after i found i am pregnnt i am so scared cause antibiotic can cause God forbid, birth defect. What to do? I am so scared that i can't sleep and can't think of anything else. On friday i have dr app. Any thoughts on that please?

ToxicMoxie Wed 09-Nov-11 02:52:34

how far along are you? I'm guessing that if you just found out, it's possible that there wasn't any antibiotic when the embryo attached?

ToxicMoxie Wed 09-Nov-11 03:06:50

I do think you'll be fine, but talk to your GP when you go in.

mummystar Wed 09-Nov-11 06:42:50

I am maybe 6 weeks.
Thank you.I am so worried.sad

aethelfleda Wed 09-Nov-11 07:40:52

Hi mummystar, didn't want to read and run...

You should be fine- many people have exposure to medicines/get roaringly drunk and then find out theubare pregnant, the huge majority are OK. Googling clarithromycin-pregnancy-adverse brings up this reassuring info(copied below): effectively it says there may be a slightly higher risk of miscarriage but when taken at normal dose there wasnt a problem for development of baby if mum had taken clarithromycin in early pregnancy. They are cautious with it cos there were problems with very high doses in animal studies. Talk to your GP on Friday and try not to worry too much.

Clarithromycin has been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA. Animal studies have revealed adverse effects of pregnancy outcome and/or embryo-fetal development (a low incidence of cardiovascular anomalies and cleft palate) at doses that produced plasma levels 2 to 17 times the serum levels achieved in humans treated at the maximum recommended human doses. A prospective, controlled, multicenter study of 157 pregnant women found clarithromycin to be safe when taken at the usual prescribed dosage during pregnancy. The manufacturer recommends that clarithromycin not be used in pregnant women except in clinical circumstances where no alternative therapy is appropriate and the benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus. If pregnancy occurs during therapy with clarithromycin, the patient should be apprised of the potential hazard to the fetus.

In the study, 122 of the women had first-trimester exposure to clarithromycin. The incidence of major and minor congenital malformations did not differ from the background incidence of 1% to 3% and 10% to 15%, respectively, in first-trimester exposure to clarithromycin. The rate of spontaneous abortion in the clarithromycin group was statistically higher than in the control group (14% versus 7%), although the authors suggest that the difference could be due to confounding factors not controlled by their study.

Quote taken from http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/clarithromycin.html

mummystar Thu 10-Nov-11 06:01:34

Sorry, i was at work,didn't have time to reply. Thank you so much thanks aethelfleda. Very comforting! can't wait for tom. i will be seeing dr.Thank you so much.

lolalita78 Wed 28-Oct-15 23:35:51

Hi mummystar your post is 4 years old. I am in the same situation as you when you found out in 2011 your were pregnant.

Please tell me was it all ok? Is the baby well and healthy? I am so scared.....I took Clarytromicin on the 6th of October 2015 for 10 days and baby was conceived around the 14th/16th of October I am 4 maybe 5 weeks pregnant. Wasn't plan at all. Hope to hear from you soon xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now