Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

NHS say that Stilton is OK to scoff during pg. Am I reading this right (or just hallucinating with joy)?

(31 Posts)
thousandDenier Sat 05-Nov-11 17:39:56

says so halfway down this page..

direct quote is:

"Hard blue cheeses such as stilton are safe to eat without cooking."

oh please let it be true. I've got a block of it in the fridge and I will be ALL OVER IT if so.

Am 17 weeks..

AtYourCervix Sat 05-Nov-11 17:44:11

it appears so.

get youself a spoon and dig in grin

thousandDenier Sat 05-Nov-11 17:46:04

OH HAPPY DAY! grin

VivaLeBeaver Sat 05-Nov-11 17:49:59

Yes, it's true. Recently true I believe.

choppychopster Sat 05-Nov-11 17:55:45

That's brilliant! Christmas just isn't Christmas without stilton. Also didn't realise I could have baked camembert - yummy with crusty bread and crudites.

PamBeesly Sat 05-Nov-11 18:34:44

I don't live in the UK, I live in Ireland BUT that advice travels??? It'll be a stilton-y Xmas for me, I'm so grin

TooImmature2BDumbledore Sat 05-Nov-11 18:54:58

Hurray! Hurray! Hurray!

theidsalright Sat 05-Nov-11 19:45:09

D'you know I have read that site MANY times (aka neurotic) and that has never registered before!? Now I'm thinking that as I can eat hard unpasteurised cheese AND stilton I will manage a trip to the cheesemonger. Yay!

RosalindFranklinsNobelPrize Sat 05-Nov-11 19:46:54

Really? Bastards.

thousandDenier Sat 05-Nov-11 20:06:00

Oh it was all I'd been dreaming of..

MrsCog Sun 06-Nov-11 10:05:05

Yes! So much of the old nonsense is now gone - peanut butter is a yes smile Rare steak is now a yes (as long as the outside is cooked properly)!

Just waiting for champagne to crop up on the safe list.......... grin

belindarose Sun 06-Nov-11 13:13:07

I'm very excited about the rare steak too! Before I was pregnant with dd1, I had a weekly steak and Stilton sauce meet up with a friend. And always pâté to start! It was totally ruined when I had to have well done steak! And no wine, obviously.

RosalindFranklinsNobelPrize Sun 06-Nov-11 13:20:44

Where does it say about steak--ate the new things allowed in pregnancy anyway , but could have done without the guilt--

belindarose Sun 06-Nov-11 13:55:10

Steak bit is in the 'foods to avoid' link from the link posted above. It says you can eat 'whole cuts of meat, such as steak' rare, so long as the outside has been properly cooked.

choppychopster Sun 06-Nov-11 20:48:48

Link to the advice on rare steak: http://www.nhs.uk/planners/pregnancycareplanner/pages/carewithfood.aspx

Oh, this is such good news! I feel much less guilty grin

MiauMau Sun 06-Nov-11 23:49:12

can I just say that these news don't make me happy? Will that make me a party pooper?
... Don't like stilton... sniff...
I miss my runny eggs though

PurpleWithaBlueBun Mon 07-Nov-11 10:20:56

I eat runny eggs as long as they are lion marked and free range. Lion mark means chickens are vaccinate against salmonella so risk is lower and then free rage is even lower again.

I love the idea of stilton but I ave been worried what it is hard enough, so yet to eat it. confused

MiauMau Mon 07-Nov-11 12:31:44

Please don't say that if you don't mean it, I've been dreaming with all kinds of runny eggs, boiled, fried, poached... I never thought that I would miss eggs so much!

PurpleWithaBlueBun Mon 07-Nov-11 12:46:17

I have been eating them regularly. Sorry about my rubbish post though had a 2 year old (nourished in utero, with approx 2-4 boiled eggs, a day in 3rd trimester wink) on my lap.
A calculated risk, salmonella is just unpleasant if you get it. Whereas listeria can kill, so still wary of cheese.

notso Mon 07-Nov-11 12:53:04

Yessss!
Guilt free at last about the massive rare steak and stilton mash I scoffed before I realised I was pg with DC4, and stilton for Christmas wooo hooo.

DontWantToHaveSex Mon 07-Nov-11 13:54:23

Fantastic news! I am soooooooo pleased. White silton with apricots in it, with a good handful of grapes and maybe an apple, and some water buscuits is my idea of heaven. Bring it on, I say!

horseynewmum Mon 07-Nov-11 14:37:03

Deep-fried camenbert hmm

MiauMau Mon 07-Nov-11 18:57:00

camenbert and brie should be fine if cooked right?
Also missing sushi, but, that's a definite no go zone sad

eachpeach80 Mon 07-Nov-11 19:13:10

sushi is fine too! www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/is-it-safe-to-eat-sushi-during-pregnancy.aspx

horseynewmum Mon 07-Nov-11 20:05:51

MiauMau it appears if well cooked it is fine. Cooked camenbert with warm crusty roll. I'm dreaming...................Only problem is i wouldnt keep it down at the mo sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now