Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I have Strepsils/Lockets for a cold?

(20 Posts)
Onlymydogunderstandsme Wed 26-Oct-11 09:04:06

Have had an awful nights sleep and woken up with a cold and sore throat this morning! Can I take strepsils or lockets or is it just good old paracetamol?!

Grumpla Wed 26-Oct-11 09:09:37

Not Strepsils, I don't think, but Boots do an own-brand lozenge that is fine. You just need to check with the pharmacist for over the counter stuff. They also do an own brand fake lemsip which is safe in pregnancy as just has paracetamol and citric acid - no decongestants etc as most of the 'branded' ones do. With a bit of honey and ginger added it's very soothing.

It's a bummer being poorly when pregnant - remember to drink plenty of water and take it easy!

Pinner35 Wed 26-Oct-11 09:12:53

Lockers are fine but I would just take normal paracetamol and drink hot water with honey (for your throat) and lemon/ginger added.

Pinner35 Wed 26-Oct-11 09:13:22

Lockets even.....grrr to predictive keypad.

mumt1 Wed 26-Oct-11 09:15:23

Oh god I had an unbelievably bad cold last week. Couldn't breath cough was awful and couldn't swallow as my throat was so sore. I phoned my pharmacy from just down road (boots) n they said all I cud take was soothers and paracetamol. Although she recommended this solution thing that u put with steam to ease ur nose and sweat it out? I didn't try it. Was gutted I couldn't take my amazing night nurse, it knocks me out! I also saw the doctor that day and she said all I could have was paracetamol! The cough is still here n desperatly want cough medicine as keeps me up at night coughing...but nope!

PotteringAlong Wed 26-Oct-11 09:18:22

Halls soothers (with the oozy bit in the middle) are ok too!

For fake lempsip dissolve some soluble paracetomol in some hot orange squash!

Hope you feel better soon

hubbahubster Wed 26-Oct-11 09:57:37

Another vote for homemade hot lemon, honey and ginger. Worked better than anything else when I was pregnant. And use balsam tissues!

blushingmare Wed 26-Oct-11 10:13:24

Oh man I didn't even think about not being allowed Strepsils - I downed about a packet of them last week - oops! confused

Oeisha Wed 26-Oct-11 10:31:35

Manuka honey suckers...
Or manuka in tea...
Both helped my throat a lot!
I think with strepsils, the originals and the honey and lemon are OK, it's the "Extra" one with hexylresorcinol that they advise against (antiseptic anesthetic ones). However, there have been no studies on pg women with either 'strepsil', or any of the cold/flu specific throat sweets...so, well, the advice is to go natural and cope with paracetamol if you can.
A pharmacist should be able to advise if you're struggling.

DejaWho Wed 26-Oct-11 11:02:02

Fuck - I've just realised I've got an entire winter of working with small people with snotty noses who forget to put their hands over their mouths when they sneeze and are distinctly questionable on the bum wiping/handwashing thing... and none of my usual cold meds to dope me up to get through the day.

Can I go hibernate till May?

As an aside I've got some Strepsils (Honey and Lemon - can't stand the other sort) on my desk here and all it says on the back is "If you are pregnant, or if you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this product. May cause allergic reactions including asthma. This is more common if you are allergic to asprin." Yes my desk generally resembles a branch of Boots the Chemist anyway.

I find gargling the snot out of soluble painkillers (so paracetamol would work) before swallowing them does really well if it's a really bad sore throat - I get them a LOT.

thesurgeonsmate Wed 26-Oct-11 11:06:20

My pharmacist simply said there was nothing I could take. I remember a long day at work where senior types were struggling to understand why I was medicating my cold with fruit pastilles!

Onlymydogunderstandsme Wed 26-Oct-11 11:15:20

Thanks a lot ladies! I have taken some paracetamol and will get some lemons at lunchtime....I normally make a great hot toddy when I have a cold but it will have to be one minus the whiskey!! Thanks for the advice. I think I will definately be taking the doctor up on the offer of a flu jab if i'm offered, can't imagine trying to get through the flu with no 'real' medication!!

annekins Wed 26-Oct-11 11:16:21

I'm also suffering with a cold and sore throat...

Try gargling with soluble paracetamol, though remember to pay attention to the dosage instructions as it'll count. Hot ribena for everything else, and suck plain boiled sweets to at least keep your throat lubricated and not dry as it'll make the soreness worse. Honey and lemon if you like honey (but be careful which one you use).

If you've got a really stuffy nose, the salt water nose sprays are ok (I hope as I've been using it)..they work really well.

Lots of fluids and get plenty of rest. Thats about it. Oh and some cake. Always makes me feel better.

Hope you feel better soon x

Tigresswoods Wed 26-Oct-11 11:18:56

I took strepsils when preggers. Didn't take anything else tho. Sore throat was terrible & I didn't see the problem with taking them.

sharond101 Wed 26-Oct-11 11:41:27

The strepsils you can pick up off the shelf are fine to use as are lockets, halls soothers etc. Any of the throat lozenges which you need to ask for behind the chemist counter is out of bounds. Stay clear of any that mention anaesthetic. I am a Pharmacist.

PoppyAmex Wed 26-Oct-11 13:34:01

Don't know if you're also suffering from a congested nose, (the worst at night, makes it impossible to sleep!) but I got a nasal spray from Amazon that's 100% safe during pregnancy as it's mostly salt water.

My consultant recommended Sterimar Isotonic Nasal Hygiene Nasal Spray but I think there are other brands that have the same characteristics.

Hope you feel better soon.

sharond101 Wed 26-Oct-11 15:28:10

Boots have a new cold defence spray that is out and can be used safely in pregnancy. It protects against colds and flu and also shortens the duration if one should be infected.

Grumpla Wed 26-Oct-11 20:09:33

Steam inhalation can work wonders too.

And I must admit I did not in any way totally omit the whisky from my hot toddy last time I was pg and ill. blush

YBR Wed 26-Oct-11 20:50:29

If you ring your GP they'll probably tell you your options - and it seems you have more than a pharmacist will mention. My GP said Strepsils were OK, or gargle soluble Paracetamol, or salt water (this was for a sore throat without cold symptoms).
I also found hot apple and blackcurrant squash could be soothing.

GoodMedicalAdvice Mon 30-May-16 10:05:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now