Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ice-skating when 11weeks - am I totally nuts to consider it?

(9 Posts)
BlueCrane Tue 25-Oct-11 09:48:50

I need a little bit of advice...we're off to New York next Wednesday for a 5-day trip for a wedding and a little explore of NYC and Boston whilst we're there.

I've just realised that the outdoor ice-rinks will be open and I really love ice-skating and it would just be so amazing to ice-skate outdoors in New York either in Central Park or at the Rockerfeller Centre...just wondering whether I'm totally nuts to consider it when I'll be nearly 11 weeks shock hmm I can ice-skate so am not a total novice but there's still all the rest of the people on the rink to consider!

Am I totally crazy?

AlpinePony Tue 25-Oct-11 09:54:59

Are there frequent skating accidents involving 6 inch shards piercing women's uterus'? Your uterus is well protected, you cannot harm your baby.

4madboys Tue 25-Oct-11 10:01:01

nah you will be FINE!! i ice skated in most of my pregnancies, even when heavily preg! prob not so recomended cos of risk of falling over, but like you i knowe how to skate, it was fine, have fun!

BlueCrane Tue 25-Oct-11 10:08:20

Thanks for the reassurance...aside from the risk of falling over I thought it would be fine, just I mentioned it to a friend the other day who practically pleaded with me not to do it so I started to fret a bit! Really looking forward to it, just hoping I manage to sleep (currently suffering with insomnia) and don't feel too nauseaous to fully enjoy the whole trip!

LoveInAColdGrave Tue 25-Oct-11 10:09:16

I'd do it - and am hoping to be skating this winter when I'll be in late second or third trimester. Have a great trip.

goodnightmoon Tue 25-Oct-11 10:44:28

i would. The rink in Central Park is so lovely. The skating is pretty low-key with lots of beginners about, so I don't think you have to worry so much about someone coming at you full force. Skiing would be a bit riskier ...

edwinbear Tue 25-Oct-11 12:25:29

I went on a snowboarding holiday the day after I found out I was pregnant and also did a track racing day in a Ferrari when I was about 3 months, which specifically said it wasn't suitable in pregnancy. Doesn't seem to have caused any problems, I'd do it.

ragged Tue 25-Oct-11 12:26:49

I went skating when about that pregnant with DC1.
He's nearly 12yo now, hard to see any harm done.

ragged Tue 25-Oct-11 12:30:03

But if it's in the USA you may have to lie about being pregnant, even signing a waiver to that effect. They/you will not be insured, I suspect.

Which would not put me off in the slightest, but it's something for you to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now