Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is my baby scratching my cervix?

(7 Posts)
CuntryManner Mon 24-Oct-11 19:43:16

I'm almost 35 weeks pregnant with dc2. Have been experiencing really sharp scratchy pains in the vagina (I say vagina as I presume this to be the bit where the penis inserts/tampons inserts/baby emerges). It is right at the top (to the extent that I wouldn't be able to examine myself due to my bump in the way). It is really sharp and literally makes me clench my thighs together until it dies down. Have read online that it could the pressure of the baby's head (it is now engaged)...but I didn't have this with my son (18 months old). Any idea what the bloody hell is going on down there?

CuntryManner Mon 24-Oct-11 20:18:53

Anyone?

banana87 Mon 24-Oct-11 20:43:05

Engagement. I have been having the same pains and am 2/5 engaged as of Saturday.

debka Mon 24-Oct-11 20:48:04

I had that with DD1. Made me leap off the sofa yelping! When she was born she loved to hold her hands above her head making scratching motions with her fingers, I used to watch her and wonder if that's what that feeling was!

Fresh01 Mon 24-Oct-11 20:49:45

No expert but could you be already a couple of cm dilated so more of cervix exposed to baby for it to bash against? I was 3cm dilated with no. 2 from 38 weeks but not in labour and she didn't arrive till 40+4. With DD1 I had been having contractions for 9 hours before going to hospital only to find out I was 4cm. My OB said that things are never as "tight" after your first baby : $ and you can be a couple of cm dilated for the last few weeks. Hence why second labours tend to be shorter than the first as your body has been making a head start in the last couple of weeks.

I am having no. 4 in December and dread to think what will be going on down there in the last few weeks : )

CuntryManner Mon 24-Oct-11 20:58:54

Gosh. My first labour was 3 hours so I can't really afford to shave any time off quite this early.

It bloody hurts. I have been thinking about the logistics, if the baby is indeed scratching surely his/her fingers would pierce the sac?

Fresh01 Mon 24-Oct-11 21:17:17

3hrs is very quick for no 1 : )

Baby nails are so soft albeit long I can't imagine it would piece the sac and when they are engaged isn't it their head that is locked in and their arms are over their body rather than their arms over their head?

Sounds uncomfortable so hope it passes for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now