Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Smear whilst pregnant :-S

(14 Posts)
ArtyFartyPants Mon 24-Oct-11 11:21:22

I found out last Thursday that I was 6weeks pregnant, 2weeks prior to this I had a smear test.
I'm so scared that it could have damaged something and I'll lose my baby! Am I just being over paranoid? Has anyone else ever had a smear in early pregnancy?

Spellcheck Mon 24-Oct-11 11:24:44

I have!!! They wouldn't do it knowingly because there's a risk the cervix will dilate and you'll go into labour/lose the baby. You'd have known by now if that had happened! The embryo wouldn't even have implanted when you had your smear. Enjoy the pregnancy!! smile

plantsitter Mon 24-Oct-11 11:26:03

I had one before I knew I was pregnant. It came back with abnormal cells. The doc said it was probably because of the pregnancy (in case that happens to you) but now I have to have smears more often. Other than that the pregnancy was totally normal.

Anyway I'm pretty sure the smear isn't dangerous -in fact in some countries it is a routine part of antenatal care.

ArtyFartyPants Mon 24-Oct-11 11:27:48

I did have a pregnancy test before the nurse did the smear, it came back negative. Thank you for reassuring me! I'm so paranoid about losing the baby..... It's driving me nuts

ArtyFartyPants Mon 24-Oct-11 11:28:34

My results came back fine thankfully...

eurochick Mon 24-Oct-11 11:32:20

If prodding the cervix was going to do any harm, it would have done it by now. I think you can relax!

justabigdisco Mon 24-Oct-11 12:10:48

don't worry.
spellcheck - the reason they don't do them in pregnancy is NOT because it might cause miscarriage, but because the hormones might affect the result. that's why you have you wait 12 weeks after delivery before having one.

Booboostoo Mon 24-Oct-11 12:25:11

Smears are standard at the first pregnancy exam in France so they can't be that dangerous!

NatashaBee Mon 24-Oct-11 13:23:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bucharest Mon 24-Oct-11 13:26:57

Here in Italy you have them as part of your antenatal care. IIRC I had 3.

oopslateagain Mon 24-Oct-11 13:40:41

In the USA they are a standard part of antenatal care. As soon as you're confirmed as pg they book you in for one.

aethelfleda Mon 24-Oct-11 15:26:02

It's fine hon. Smear are very gentle compared to -ahem-bedroom antics, and lits of people get up to that an awful lot before they realise they are pregnant!

If you've not had any cramping and bleeding you'll be fine. If you do get cramps and bleeding, it is coincidence, but ring your GP to get an early scan. But forget about having a smear in early pregnancy, it does no harm at all.

m1nn1em0u5e Mon 24-Oct-11 16:28:04

I had one before realising I was pregnant too.

NoobyNoob Mon 24-Oct-11 16:32:01

I had a colposcopy when I was pregnant and everything was OK. I didn't know at the time, it's only when they pulled me aside and told me after I'd had it done!

Worse and best day of my life all rolled in to one. It was odd!

You'll be fine, if you're worried though I'd have a chat with your doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now