Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Contractions

(12 Posts)
Nearlycooked Sat 22-Oct-11 13:51:49

what do they actually feel like??

TheMummyAbroad Sat 22-Oct-11 18:00:34

The early labour stage/braxton hicks ones feel just like period pains, but its weird because its all over your bump and period pains are normally isolated very low down.

As they get stronger it just feels like your whole tummy is being squeezed, the sensation gets stronger and stronger over the course of a minute, so the peak is at 30 seconds, and then it starts to subside again. The good news is that between contractions you dont feel anything at all (except maybe a bit scared and panicked if the experience has freaked you out - stay calm, and take them one at a time!) smile

Nearlycooked Sat 22-Oct-11 19:47:45

Thank you! Got real funny things going on - it feels lik a cross between period pains and her wriggling around loads causing pains.

Nearlycooked Sat 22-Oct-11 20:54:44

Any other thoughts??

Iggly Sat 22-Oct-11 20:58:38

How far along are you?

She might be trying to move - get down on all fours and sway a bit for a while to help her on her way!

Nearlycooked Sat 22-Oct-11 21:01:48

5 days Over!! First time - it does feel like she is moving but midwife said she is fully engaged - pains are right down there

banana87 Sat 22-Oct-11 21:11:43

I went in today for very low down pains. Not suprisingly, they were nothing, but my consultant said it doesn't mean that something isn't starting!

Iggly Sat 22-Oct-11 21:24:35

She might be moving into the correct position - eg if she's back to back. DS moved around during labour. It's worth being active when labour does start because it really helps baby's position.

My labour started off with period like pains at 3am then a few hours later became more regular (10am) and he was born at 8pm grin

planetpotty Sat 22-Oct-11 21:39:16

Same here for early ones are like strong period pains but also I laboured a lot in my back so DH must have rubbed my back for hours smile I also think mine felt a bit like the cramps you get with diarrhoea. With DC 2 I sat on the loo for about an hour and was like WHAT are you doing it's labour!

Good advice earlier about the peak of contractions and there being no pains in between. Listen to your midwives on how to deal with contractions once I sorted my breathing and learned to use the G and A was much more manageable and it's an amazing experience smile

mumt1 Sun 23-Oct-11 08:34:54

How did you get on? Coz it did sound like possible labour? Its hard for me to remember how they felt exactly, only been 2 1/2 yrs! Haha! But ye good advice bout the no pain inbetween contractions

Nearlycooked Sun 23-Oct-11 08:35:49

Well that all came to nothing last night!! She must not have liked the position I was sitting in and been moving - but it really makes you wince!! Will settle in for another day of waiting sad

Nearlycooked Sun 23-Oct-11 08:38:20

Was watching xfactor and think that would be enough to dissuade any one from emerging from anywhere to watch that farce last night !!! Lol!! I would have stayed firmly "in" too!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now