Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Argh - teeth cleaning!

(12 Posts)
NorthernGirlie Sat 22-Oct-11 12:28:57

Anyone else struggling to clean their teeth without gagging?? Usually takes about 10 minutes with lots of gagging and mini throw ups (sorry, TMI!). I love having clean teeth and feel a bit disgusting not being able to clean them properly! Rant over - lol!!

Crosshair Sat 22-Oct-11 12:35:43

Have you tried a change in tooth paste? Maybe a different flavour or less froth would help.

melliebobs Sat 22-Oct-11 13:05:40

in the early days yes. I ended up getting kids toothpaste as although it made me gag sometimes it was alot more pallatable. I had a bubblegum one and a strawberry one.

Meglet Sat 22-Oct-11 13:08:47

I had the same problem when I was suffering all-day sickness with DD. Toothbrushing rather took a back seat for a couple of weeks and I just did it a little bit.

This will sound mental but to try and stop me gagging I imagined licking an iceberg as it was cool, fresh and clean and seemed to calm my gag reflex down confused. <<weirdo>>

NorthernGirlie Sat 22-Oct-11 13:09:37

Thanks ladies but it's not the tooth paste - more the fact that I have the brush in my mouth... oh well, I kind of escaped the horrors of morning sickness on the whole so this isn't a biggie in comparisson to some of the nasty experiences others have!

harassedandherbug Sat 22-Oct-11 14:24:40

I'm 30wks and it still makes me gag.......

I use kids toothpaste and it really does help. I like the gel ones as it's a different texture.

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Sat 22-Oct-11 16:58:50

Makes me gag too. Plus DS loves to "feed" me things, put his fingers and dummy in my mouth. All of which makes me heave.
Now to add to that, my mouth is a bloodbath everytime I brush.

I think it may be easier to just not brush til the baby comes...?

BedatHogwarts Sat 22-Oct-11 17:39:29

Have you tried tilting your head slightly upwards and humming while you brush? You will look ridiculous but I found it helped, maybe by distracting me from the gaggy feelings!

TheMummyAbroad Sat 22-Oct-11 17:49:03

I had this problem too, for a few weeks I had to make do with a good swish of mouthwash, and no brushing at all until things settled. I also invested in an electronic toothbrush which hasnt arrived yet, but they idea is to make up for lost dental care with new improved technology. I figure it might also save me a bit of precious time/be more efficient once baby arrives too.

Are you having regular dental checkups to make sure there is no serious damage occuring?

Hope it doesnt last long.

osculation Sun 23-Oct-11 10:00:09

This has been happening to me too - it's not a pleasant experience!

HidingInTheUndergrowth Sun 23-Oct-11 11:56:33

I'm 20 weeks and still get this though it is better then it was in the early weeks. It's just having something in my mouth I think rather then the toothpaste or the taste. I can't hold hair grips in my mouth anymore either without gagging.

I find if I just brush for a short amount of time then it is ok so sometimes I just brush as extra time during the day to try and make up for it. Not sure if it really helps though. I'm dreading my next dentist appointment.

allhailtheaubergine Sun 23-Oct-11 12:01:13

As soon as I got over my tooth brshing gagging I found that washing my hair in the shower makes me throw up. Ever day. 22 weeks now. Ugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now