Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Holiday ideas??

(10 Posts)
justhayley Fri 21-Oct-11 22:21:46

Hiya I'm 13 weeks tomorrow and am planning a weeks holiday in December. Before pregnancy I was thinking of a few weeks in Vietnam but we've decided against that as I wont be able to do all the things I want to do there like trekking etc. So we are thinking of a relaxing week somewhere, but I can't decide if it should be somewhere cold and christmassy like Finland or someone hot like St Lucia. Anyone got any ideas where's relaxing to go at 5 months pregnant for 7days in December??

Thanks xx

Florin Fri 21-Oct-11 22:44:08

We have just booked a holiday for when I will be 20-21 weeks pregnant in January. We are going sailing on a yacht in the British Virgin Islands. Can't wait be lovely to have l

Florin Fri 21-Oct-11 22:45:54

Bloody iPhone sending before I am ready
Meant to say can't wait be lovely to have a holiday before baby could be last relaxed one for ages!

Sidge Fri 21-Oct-11 22:52:35

Anywhere you don't need antimalarials really.

St Lucia is lovely.

MissRee Sat 22-Oct-11 10:02:23

I went to Florida at 26 weeks and loved every minute of it grin

melliebobs Sat 22-Oct-11 11:30:38

Cuba is amazing and also really cheap once you are out there. I went for my honeymoon in Feb and Nov/Dec to March is best time to go.

Tangle Sat 22-Oct-11 12:03:48

Whatever you do, make sure you have insurance that will cover you if you have to cancel for something pregnancy related. Whilst its more than likely everything will be fine and you'll be basking in a mid-pregnancy glo, its possible that things might not be quite so straightforward (and not even for something particularly life-threatening, just something that makes you uncomfortable enough to want/be advised to stay at home) so it would be prudent to make sure you'll not be too out of pocket in that event.

I went to North America when I was about 20 weeks in one pregnancy and had a fantastic time (just made sure I wore flight socks, drank plenty of water and tried not to sit too still for too long). Another time I did 2 weeks in a tent at about 25 weeks and still had a good time (although traipsing across the campsite at 2am every morning to visit the toilet block wasn't quite so fun...)

One thing I did find, though, was that I was less tolerant to heat/humidity than normal. I don't particularly enjoy high temperatures regardless, but I found that once it got above about 26C I would rapidly start to feel quite ill unless I could find a cool, shady spot and sit quietly with a cold drink. You might be absolutely fine and a complete sun-baby, but just be aware that your pregnancy might make you less tolerant of conditions you'd previously have revelled in.

I'd also be cautious of too big a time difference for a 1 week holiday, but that's just me (and having been shipped out to the far east, economy, for a week for work once - think I'd barely got over the jet lag before it was time to come home again!).

Whatever you decide, have a fantastic time grin

fraktious Sat 22-Oct-11 12:55:22

Look up Ile de la Reunion - you're covered by your EHIC, it's nice and hot in December, 4 hours time difference and no jabs or antimalarials.

Like Mauritius but EU wink

somewherewest Sat 22-Oct-11 13:59:46

I went on a week long cruise along the coast of Norway when I was four months pregnant. I'm usually very 'independent traveller' and wouldn't normally do a cruise in a million years, but really enjoyed it. You don't have to fly, can take as much baggage as you want and can do as much or as little as you feel like. I also still had mild morning sickness and the huge amount of choice you get on cruise catering worked very well. Not sure I'd recommend Norway in December though grin. Maybe the western Med?

sharond101 Sat 22-Oct-11 15:40:59

I am off to Australia for 3 weeks when I will be 18weeks pregnant! Taking it as it comes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now