Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Barely Pregnant

(12 Posts)
Coops79 Fri 21-Oct-11 10:16:40

Hello - I'm new to all of this so bare with me but I'm posting mainly because I have to tell SOMEONE. I did a pregnancy test on Monday and I am officially about 2 weeks pregnant (how do those clever digital things know!?!) I am flipping between excitement and absolute heart-stopping terror. My husband turned a very pasty colour and has been gulping a lot (it was planned but I don't think he really believed it would happen).

I'm currently worrying mainly about money. I had always assumed that when I had kids I would stop working until they were school age but now part-time work seems inevitable and I'm starting to wonder if in fact it would be best to stay full-time after all. Husband is looking for a new job and I'm trying not to pile on the pressure but it's hard to resist pushing him towards the big salaries.

Also slightly weirded out by my GP telling me not to bother coming to see her but just go straight to the Midwives at the local Birthing Centre.

Anyway, would love to find some buddies at a similar stage so that I have someone to talk to before the 12 week point. :-)

happenstance Fri 21-Oct-11 10:47:48

Bump! Congratulations grin You can work out how far along you are by working out the first day of your last period, if digital says 1-2 weeks then your about 4 weeks pregnant.

Get lots of rest, you have an excuse (the first trimester tiredness is a killer) and if you feel ill try and eat little and often, if all you fancy eating is salt and vineger hula hoops and diet coke just go with it.

The Dr will just send you to the midwife any way, thats normal, She/He will book you in around 10 weeks and get you a scan.

Don't worry about money and work yet just check what your works maternity benefits are for now, remember your DH may have a high paying job in 18 months time.

Look after yourself and bump for now, good luck

Happen

BeeBopBunny Fri 21-Oct-11 10:58:47

Don't worry about seeing the GP. Mine looked mildly surprised when I saw him and referred me to the midwife.

I'd not make any decisions about working just yet. You have plenty of time to think about it and your circumstances could change in the meanwhile. I went on maternity leave with the intention of not returning to work, but keeping my options open just in case.

Coops79 Fri 21-Oct-11 11:04:55

Thank you all! I am always guilty of getting a little ahead of myself (this morning I was worrying about paying university fees) so I will try to calm down. The midwife has me booked in for Nov 14th when they are going to take all sorts of horrid samples. Bit worried that it falls in the middle of the working day but hopefully that won't happen too often. Not had any symptoms beyond tender breasts and lack of period. Got all that to come!

spritzercat Fri 21-Oct-11 13:26:13

Fantastic news Coops79, congratulations. I remember being stunned for about a week after the pregnancy test! I had a similar experience at the doctors as you.She wasn't interested in doing a pregnancy test and just sent me off with a telephone number for the midwife. It was a bit of an anitclimax actually; I actually asked her where the balloons and banners where grin

Coops79 Fri 21-Oct-11 17:29:02

Lol spritzercat - it's always disappointing when the rest of the world isn't as excited as you! I cracked about an hour ago and told my sister. Was nice to say the words out loud!

friedfrog Fri 21-Oct-11 17:34:50

Congratulations Coops79!! I am about the same stage as you and seeing my midwife on the 15th smile

How hard is it keeping the secret!!

Frog smile

Kayzr Fri 21-Oct-11 17:37:16

Have you worked out your due date? If it's in June which I think it will be come join us on the June 2012 ante natal thread. It's called June anyone. Loads and loads of us there you can chat too smile

Coops79 Fri 21-Oct-11 17:39:38

Hi Friedfrog! Congratulations to you too! I have pretty much all of our close friends coming round tomorrow for DH's birthday and as I won't be drinking they're all going to guess anyway (Hubby says we'll just say I'm on a strict regime but he seems to forget that I'm a very committed drinker under normal circumstances!) Suspect I'll manage to fib for about an hour and then crack under the pressure!
grin

friedfrog Fri 21-Oct-11 17:55:44

Hehehehe!! I know everyone knows I love my wine.......one of my best mates 30ths next week.....Gonna have to use the antibiotics story me thinks and try really really hard not to crack!!
wine cheers to us!

Coops79 Fri 21-Oct-11 21:37:21

Hi Kayzr - you're right I'm end of June so I shall pop along to your thread. Thanks for letting me know! :-)

Coops79 Fri 21-Oct-11 21:39:22

Friedfrog - I'm thinking of drinking tonic water all night and pretending its a G&T. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now