Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

This long lantent phase......

(9 Posts)
sleepevader Fri 21-Oct-11 07:02:13

is driving me insane!

Contractions - not braxton hicks - on and off now for nearly a week!

They gear up a notch I think yay bring it on and then it stops!

Not helped that the midwife gave me an examine at weekend as though I lost some of plug and said cervix very soft and stretchy but still a little tubular. Stretch and sweep given as I was so ready!

So another walk today after school run it is! Any tips on how not to go mad?

Am 38wks today! Ds1 was 6 days late but posterior. This one is all in position nicely.

sleepevader Fri 21-Oct-11 07:03:04

See how This is affecting me I can't even spell latent! blush

twogirls1more Fri 21-Oct-11 09:10:53

Not gonna be much help I'm afraid but know what you're going thru! Sadly this pre-labour stage often seems to get longer each pregnancy you have!..(I'm currently 36wks with number 4.) Are your contractions painful? If not and just strong think they're prob still BH's!? I personally think I can tell when my BH's have changed to pre-labour contractions that are doing something to the cervix as they feel quite different and are painful.
In my experience... my last pregnancy towards the end was torture! I had escalating bouts of contractions from around 34/35 wks and by about 36wks they were coming in spells where they were mildly painful (v uncomfy,) that could last up to two hours and almost exactly 6mins apart! With them I had a show and many other signs of imminent labour. On about 5 occasions I was so sure that it was the real deal only to find they later subsided!! (and that's after 2 previous pregnancies!) Was one big wind up for about 6wks, seemed like a lifetime!! I ended up finally going into full-blown labour on my due date! On the plus side, by the time I knew I was definately in "proper" labour I was already 9cm's and it took just an hr!!
Seem to be getting similar so far this time but having been thru same loop before and it being my last pregnancy, I'm just focusing on my due date and trying to make the most of these last few wks.
Sorry I couldn't tell you what you want to hear! Labour is just so unpredictable and our bodies seem to like to trick us don't they! Good luck and I really hope things happen for you soon! smile x

blueskydrinking Fri 21-Oct-11 09:20:35

Oh god I had this - I was SO impatient it was a nightmare!

Lost my plug and had a rather dramatic erm....clear out... almost exactly on my due date. Then remained latent for a week and a half - aaaargh!!

Hopefully not too much longer now!

sleepevader Fri 21-Oct-11 10:24:01

Hi thank you both for your words of support and experiences.

Yes the contractions are painful and i do feel they are doing things to my cervix. The cervix feels like it's dilating especially when on my ball.

I was getting really annoyed but have been reading ina may gaskins book about childbirth and realised this is common which made Neva bit more chilled out. Doesn't stop the moments I get though where I'm all "ra" and fed up!

I've been keeping active and busy by making plans to meet friends /playdates etc. I don't think I have ever been so on top of the housework although I still haven't had a single urge to iron much to DPs disappointment. However today I'm tired and just resting.

If it's suppose to get longer with each pregnancy then I might reconsider a third!

twogirls1more Fri 21-Oct-11 10:45:48

I'm not sure it does get longer each time as a general rule, can just speak for myself I guess but do know a couple of friends who had the same happen! Sooo frustrating isn't it! I'm alot more chilled this time as not reading too much into these bouts of contractions becoming regular each time and am trying to make the most of carrying baby as kinda sad this is my last!! (yes, mad I know!! smile) When I get a v strong contraction I can kinda feel it in my cervix v low down..(like a kinda tugging and period type cramp,) not sure if you're getting the same? Keep up with the birthing ball as I'm sure that helps! Let us know when things really kick off!!

sleepevader Fri 21-Oct-11 19:57:17

Grrr still no progress- time to sit on the ball and niggle all night long.

I hope I will realise real labour when it comes- last time is a distant memory!

banana87 Fri 21-Oct-11 20:03:54

How can you tell your cervix is dialating?

Does it feel twinge like, like you are having a painful smear? I've been having those all days plus some pretty painful tightenings, but nothing regular. Am 35+3 with DC2.

sleepevader Fri 21-Oct-11 21:35:45

I can't describe the feeling- I really can't! Its just weird!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now