Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

have been prescribed cyclizine for nausea. would you take it? worried .....

(19 Posts)
smk84 Thu 20-Oct-11 17:48:34

I am 7 weeks PG and for the last week and a half I have had the most intense nausea, lasting all day every day. I have no appetite and am beginning to struggle even to swallow food (there is literally nothing that I want to eat).I started being sick yesterday (that itself doesn't really bother me). I asked for an appointment to see my doc today, and was given one with the nurse practitioner. I explained the situation, she was very sympathetic and did not hesitate to prescribe it for me. I am a bit confused though as she told me it was an anti-emetic and that it wasn't an anti-histamine, but I have looked it up and it is an anti-histamine. Also, there was no paper insert with the tablets so I have not been able to read for myself possible side effects and risks. I hate taking anything, but I am struggling to function and I have a 2.5 year old son. Has anyone taken it? What would you do? Am getting pretty desperate but I hate the thought of harming my unborn baby. Thank you.

AlpinePony Thu 20-Oct-11 18:03:55

Yes I've taken it with both pregnancies, there is no risk to the baby.

diddygirl Thu 20-Oct-11 19:35:29

I've taken it in both pregnancies too. First time it worked wonders, second time it just took the edge off. Perfectly safe but it made me very drowsy.

NoobyNoob Thu 20-Oct-11 19:42:35

I've been prescribed it and yes I would take it. They wouldn't give it to you if there was a risk of damaging the baby.

I'll scond the drowsiness though. It reminded me of taking my first few anti-depressants a few years ago. It gave me a floaty, odd feeling.

CrackersandCheese Thu 20-Oct-11 19:44:55

It's a very common anti-emetic. I wouldn't worry and just take it! I hope it makes you feel better.

idealism Thu 20-Oct-11 19:46:58

Get yourself to a boots/ health shop and get some Nux Vom 30c homeopathic remedy. Take 1 per hour. Totally natural and of NO risk to your baby. happy pregnancy !

therugratref Thu 20-Oct-11 19:54:10

Get yourself to boots and fill your prescription for cyclizine and take as directed. Totally rigorously tested in a double blind randomized controlled trial and found to not only work on intractable nausea but to be safe for your baby. Unlike water with memory.

feekerry Thu 20-Oct-11 20:19:05

yep totally. 19 weeks and still have to take it now. if your sickness is bad enough for them to prescribe it then take it. much better than you throwing up everything and not been able to eat. x

mildertduck Thu 20-Oct-11 21:03:58

I'm another cyclizine lass. It's horrible feeling this way and you shouldn't have to. I was prescribed it at 7 weeks when I couldn't keep anything down, and I include water in that, and I'm 11 weeks now and I can keep myself hydrated (I'll be honest, I'm still sick most days, but it's a lot more doable) and fed.

m1nn1em0u5e Thu 20-Oct-11 21:13:04

I was prescribed this early in my pregnancy, I was worried too, but did take it, & felt so much better, nausea & sickness/hyperemesis is horrendous & it worked for me smile

ElderberrySyrup Thu 20-Oct-11 21:16:09

I took it in 3 pregnancies and my children are fine! (Didn't help with the nausea though, just the actual vomiting - I still felt horribly sick for months....)

smk84 Thu 20-Oct-11 21:37:09

thanks everyone. rugratref - do you know where I can see the study? (i have just been looking on the cks.nhs website which seems to have loads of info, but don't seem to be able to find that one)

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 20-Oct-11 21:39:48

I had awful hyperemesis with dd1. Hospitalised and vomiting continuously. sad

for me there wasn't much of a choice, in order to be able to eat and drink I needed medication. I had already lost a lot of weight by 7 weeks, was severely dehydrated and in ketosis.

Much sympathy to you (and congratulations of course) xx

smk84 Thu 20-Oct-11 21:40:35

p.s. just to say how much it helps hearing from people who understand smile

smk84 Thu 20-Oct-11 21:44:03

p.p.s thanks for the congratulations. It sounds awful but I am so absorbed by feeling awful that I hardly get any pleasure from thinking about the baby (or even have head space to think about it). Baby was so longed for, and still is, I just can't wait to have a clear head and feel some pleasure again !!!

smk84 Mon 24-Oct-11 10:28:14

meds not really helping sad have been taking 1 x 50mg so far (for 3 days). am trying max dose of 50mg about every 4-5 hours today. Has anyone had experience of these meds taking a while to work?

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 24-Oct-11 14:07:04

You probably will find they will take a few days to kick in and will make you very drowsy but they will work. keep taking them, one tablet three times a day. I used to take one an hour before I got out of bed so it had time to kick in before I got up then i would avoid the morning bile run. For about two weeks I was like a walking zombie they made me so tired but after that I managed to get on ok with them. They were invaluable for me.

If after a few days they definitely aren't working there are many more safe medications you can take.

There is a hyperemesis support thread here

A lady from that thread has made her own website offering invaluable information Pregnancy Sickness SOS

You need to rest and rest some more. Cbeebies will be your friend. Interact with your DS from the sofa doing lap games such as colouring, match cards or reading for example. Try and rope in family and friends as much as possible as rest really is they key to feeling better and getting the meds to work more effectively.

I was hospitalised at 7 weeks as I had ketones in my urine which indicates severe hydration. I needed rest and hydration as I was vomitting 15+ times a day and not eating or drinking anything. Cyclizine helped me no end and I took it religiously until my sickness passed at 23 weeks. My DS was born 4 weeks ago and is just perfect smile This will get better. Try to remember that.

smk84 Tue 25-Oct-11 22:07:06

Thank you so much Bunch - so much useful information and encouragement. I am not sure that I have HG, but many of the symptoms are present. Not good at resting but body giving me no choice at the mo!

monkeycat Tue 25-Oct-11 22:28:30

Poor you - it's a horrible feeling .
If you find that Cyclizine isn't working for you go back to your GP , there are other anti-emetics that you can try too.
I found that Cyclizine just made me way too sedated , but then tried Buccasten (stemetil) which worked for a little while , and then ended up on Ondansetron . So don't worry - you have options .

I ended up on Ondansetron for almost the whole of both my pregnancies and ended up wiht 2 healthy DD's.

And rest,rest ,rest .
My DD1 watched a lot of Cbeebies while i was pregnant with DD2 and she's pretty much unscathed smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now