Talk

Advanced search

Single Mummy-to-Be

(8 Posts)
CopperLocs Thu 20-Oct-11 14:34:29

Hi All,

I am 26 years old and currently 18 weeks pregnant with my first baby. Unfortunately, I split up with the father of my child when I was around 9 weeks. I am lucky enough to have incredibly supportive family and friends so the single mother thing isn't really an issue for me, although it's the less than ideal situation. What I'm a little worried about is the fact that I am the first of my friends to have a baby and not quite sure what I will do with myself and the little one when s/he arrives. I'm quite a sociable person by nature but I'm envisioning maternity leave as being quite a lonely time while everyone around me is at work or just simply getting on with life. I know that it's possible to meet other mums-to-be at Anti-natal classes etc but I just wondered if there is anyone else out there in a similar situation to me or with a similar experience and if so, how did you manage it/how do you plan to mamage it?

Thanks for reading x

Queenofthehill Thu 20-Oct-11 14:43:30

Congratulations, CopperLocs. It's great you have support around you. I'm single, too. XP decided didn't want to be a daddy, so called it off when I decided to keep the pregnancy. DS now 5 months and I haven't looked back. Am 33, so def not the first out of my friends to have a baby, but antenatal classes are your friend if you want to meet other mums-to-be. After your DC is born, there will be lots of opportunities to meet new mums at local mum and baby groups, too - just make sure you get out and about as soon as you feel ready! Where are you based? Am in SE London and there are so many free, or very cheap, things to do with your baby. If you want to meet new people, you will! All the best with your pregnancy smile

StickyGhost Thu 20-Oct-11 14:51:29

Congrats as well Copper, I just wanted to add that your local Sure Start Centre is also a very good place to start, they are very friendly and welcoming from what I've experienced and have lots of different groups and activities. I think you'll be likely to meet other single mums there as well.
Good luck with your pregnancy!

Savannahrose Thu 20-Oct-11 14:53:12

Hey.
Where a bouts are you from? My ex split from me with my first born. I was only 18. It was hard, I didn't have any support from family either which made it twice as hard. I now have a gorgeous 5 months old with my new partner of 2 years and expecting another. He works constantly he leaves for work at 7 in the morning and doesn't get back until 8 in the evening so I feel like a single parent sometimes. It's so difficult and I feel so lonely. But all I will tell you is once you have your baby in your arms you will forget everyone and focus on them. It's amazing being a mum ! smile

sillymillyb Thu 20-Oct-11 15:10:36

Hi Op,

I too am 18 weeks and single so facing the same situation as you really - PM me if you would like to chat online (or in person if we are close by, Im in the north east)

I am planning on doing lots of activities I cant afford to meet as many people as possible..... Baby Yoga (which should be hilarious seeing as I am the most unbendy person ever) antenatal swimming and antenatal classes. I've found that people talk to me more now I am showing, and at the risk of looking like a loony I've really forced myself to talk to people with babies when the opportunity presents itself.

Im deffo having moments of loneliness though, Sometimes I think I'd just like someone that is taking as much pleasure and feeling as much fear as I am about the situation. Hey ho though, we will have beautiful babies soon!

Take care!

CopperLocs Thu 20-Oct-11 15:23:26

Thank you all so much for your replies and well wishes smile

Queenofthehill I am based in SW London but I do work in SE.

StickyGhost I plan to look into Sure Start as there is one right accross the road from where I live and I have some of my Antinatal appts with my midwife there so I'll deffinately check out what they have going on.

Savannahrose Congratulations to you! Are you based in london too?

sillymillyb Congratulations on your bundle of joy. My due date is March 20th- I assume yours is around then too? I deffinately understand how you're feeling at the moment and I plan on doing as many activities as I can too! It's a shame we're far apart distance wise but we can deffinately keep in touch online smile

Savannahrose Thu 20-Oct-11 15:38:38

Noon I come from the midlands. Good luck I'm sure everything will go smoothly smile xx

annekins Thu 20-Oct-11 17:12:20

Hi copperlocs, am not a single mummy, but am very new to the area where I live and don't really know anyone outside of work. I've looked into the groups that the NCT run, they have quite a lot going on that you would be most welcome at. Also, if you have a local leisure centre or village hall, it might be worth having a quick look at their notice board as mother and baby events are often advertised there.

You will have to make the effort to get out and see folks, but as you say you're quite sociable, you'll be fine.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, look after yourself.

Ax

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now