Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pamper Nappies - Please explain & looking for a good Deal.. :-)

(17 Posts)
thinkingpositive Wed 19-Oct-11 21:04:34

Hi Ladies

Im 32 weeks with my first pregnancy and looking to start buying nappies....
I would like to go with pampers but so many sizes and prices....

Do i start buying Newborn 1? 2? or 3? How do i know how big my Baby will be?
Secondly, Ive heard buying the boxes are cheaper. True?

Lastly, what is a good deal? Plus who does the good deals?

Some advice from you experienced ladies would be well appreciated.

Thank you

rubyslippers Wed 19-Oct-11 21:07:26

Pampers are €€

If you have a LIDL near you, their nappies Are the best IME

Whatever you get, you will need a lot in the early days - 8 or more per day especially with a breastfed baby

Boots also do great nappies and they often have 3 for 2

Buy new born for your hospital bag

hayleysd Wed 19-Oct-11 21:08:17

Don't buy loads of pampers you might not like them, did you get your free pack I think there was a voucher in the bounty pack, sign up to the supermarket baby clubs you get another couple of packs free so you can try them out.

I personally liked pampers, huggies always leaked, tesco ones were good (and cheaper) as we're asda's but as he's got older I use pampers active fit as they seem to absorb more and fit better but you'll get a different answer from everyone as to which brand they like.

Nevercan Wed 19-Oct-11 21:09:27

There are so many nappies arent there. You wont really know the size of baby until its born but i guess the average must be about 7ibs?! I would just buy one pack of no. 1's to start with which will do you in hospital and then you can buy the right size after that based on weight of baby. I have found the best deals at asda - they do large boxes. However i personally wouldnt buy too much in bulk as baby will change sizes quickly in the beginning. Congrats by the way smile

hayleysd Wed 19-Oct-11 21:09:37

Also amazon have good deals on nappies and if you do the subscribe and save you get 10% off.

Eglu Wed 19-Oct-11 21:10:43

Pampers are good for newborn. You will most likely need size 1 for a short while at least. I do think Tesco newborn are just as good though.

SurprisEs Wed 19-Oct-11 21:14:37

I bought one pack of every brand I could think of and then went for pampers.

Always bought them at Asda an always bought the boxes.

I haven't tried Lidl or tesco but Asda were okish but boots leaked after ONE wee. Went straight back for a refund and the assistant said she didn't like them either.

Huggies were too elasticated I thought.

Slinkenstein Wed 19-Oct-11 21:15:46

I'd buy a small pack of newborn Huggies and Pampers, and see which you/your baby prefer. I was given a load of Huggies from friends, but found them too card-boardy and not the best fit.

Join the Pampers club and you'll be sent £1 off vouchers. And yes, the more you buy the cheaper they are, so do a bit of experimenting before spending out on the big boxes. Most large supermarkets have deals on big boxes, and it's worth looking on Amazon/online for some deals too.

Goes without saying that babies grow very quickly, so you'll probably find yourself climbing up the nappy numbers faster than you realise!

seaweed74 Wed 19-Oct-11 21:34:10

I'm 38 weeks with DD2. I've got one pack of pampers size 1 and one of huggies size 1. Going to see which fit best. With DD1 huggies weren't good at all, particularly as she's got older as she is really slim and they leak horrifically. For DD1 I've usually always used pampers (their simply dry range for older babies is good) with brief use of Boots which i found ok.

sleepevader Wed 19-Oct-11 23:08:58

Sign up to Asda baby club and get a free huggies newborn kit. Normally a voucher on inside of sleeve. Sainsburys do a gift when you buy a pack of huggies.

Boots do a changing bag- not worth £30 they claim it is in my opinion when you buy pampers. Use the £2 pampers voucher from your changing bag towards it.

happenstance Thu 20-Oct-11 07:53:09

Buy just one pack of a few types for now, my DD was ok in pampers newborn, but by size 3 they leeked every time she was in oneangry, Huggies are fine but gaped a bit when she was new born.

Good cheaper options are, Aldi and Asda ranges, and the Sainsburys organic range are fantastic, i found Tesco and Boots were too rough for my liking.

Shop around, on some occasions the boxes may not be the best option, Morrisons quite often do the Active fit or Dry large bags for £7 and very often the Simply dry (though i would personally only use those for older babies) for £5, can't say for other supermarkets as we only have the one in this area.

Just buy one or 2 bags of size one, because as you say you have no idea how big DC will be, you will not run out before you can buy more

Oh and Congratulations grin

RockChick1984 Thu 20-Oct-11 08:02:15

We started with size 2 nappies, I was expecting a reasonably big baby (was 8lb 6oz) and they fit fine, never used size 1's. Tesco newborn (in a yellow pack) were fab but hated the size 3 version! I've never really liked pampers, they seem to leak a lot, I usually buy huggies as tesco have great big boxes for about £9. Look at the price per nappy when choosing, makes it easier to see if they are good value. Oh, and really don't waste your money on the huggies organic nappies - don't know anyone who these have been much use for!

MustControlFistOfDeath Thu 20-Oct-11 08:30:09

Agree with everyone else, don't overbuy in newborn size (unless you buy supermarket own brand then you can change them for the next size up)

I used Tesco newborn and size 1 - found pampers rubbish at that size although they were ok at size 3. DS is size 4 now and I find Huggies are the best, so it varies from child to child but also within brand sizes.

Definitely shop around, the offers vary all the time.

Someone mentioned the pampers changing bag above (about £30 in Boots) - get it free by joining the boots babyclub and using the voucher - agree no way is it worth £30 as it's quite small but the free travel changing mat included is handy if you haven't got one, and I have found the bag useful now that DS is a bit older and I don't need to cart so much stuff around.

Congratulations btw grin

stripeybumpinthenight Thu 20-Oct-11 08:35:14

Someone told me Costco is super cheap for nappies - anyone bought from there? Do you have to buy loads or can you just buy a couple of packs?

Franchini Thu 20-Oct-11 09:15:55

In costco they come in boxes - not sure of the price but I know they work out cheaper than tesco.

My Friend also gets bargains when they are on offer on Amazon.

RockChick1984 Thu 20-Oct-11 10:49:01

I didn't find costco any cheaper - they were less than paying full price in the supermarket but similar / more expensive than buying from supermarket when there's an offer on. They look fab until you add the VAT on top!

thinkingpositive Fri 21-Oct-11 08:46:47

Wow ladies, Thank you so much for your advice!! grin

I will take the advice of the majority and get a few different packs of nappies, seeing as though no baby is the same size and shape. smile

Thank you again for all the advice and Good Luck to everyone with there pregnancies!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now