Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

D&V in pregnancy?

(4 Posts)
Mysecretumbrella Tue 18-Oct-11 18:14:35

Ok, this is my 2nd so I've thrown away all the books and haven't a clue really! Am 14 wks and have had a stomach bug with the usual vomiting and diarrhoea for the past 4 days. I'm assuming this is ok... no need to contact GP / midwife? But am I being a bit too cavalier in my attitude? I do feel a lot better today so am hoping it's nearly over (although am now dreading 3yr old DD coming down with it but that's another story!).

CBear6 Tue 18-Oct-11 18:22:44

I had a D&V bug when I was pregnant with DD. I rang the MAU for advice and they told me that generally its fine as your body will give the baby everything it needs first and foremost, mum gets whatever is left over (which is partly why you feel extra yucky when ill and pregnant). The most important thing is to stay hydrated, if you can manage food then carbs are your friend but if not then don worry about it so long as you're drinking, they told me to drink more than normal to compensate. I found lemonade stayed down better than water and the carbonation seemed to settle my tummy a little too.

If you're worried though then see your GP.

Oeisha Tue 18-Oct-11 18:23:06

I'd be contacting GP/MW. Probably fine, but you're more at risk of dehydration etc. They can give baby the once over and check you out too.

Mysecretumbrella Tue 18-Oct-11 19:05:59

Thanks cbear6 and Oeisha. Think I will call GP tomorrow if still no better. As I said, I'm actually feeling much better today but still have the diarhorrea (tmi). Yeah, good to know why I've been feeling so terrible and reassuring that the baby should still be getting what he needs. I have been eating toast and trying to drink lots, partly as a result of DH badgering me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now