Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

37 weeks pregnant should my friend have the flu jab

(18 Posts)
par05 Tue 18-Oct-11 18:03:56

Hi my friend, is 37wks pregnant, and has been offered the flu jab. She is half and half about having jab as worried about any side effects. Has anyone who is pregnant had it, please help , shes booked in to have it tomorrow.

NoodieRoodie Tue 18-Oct-11 18:11:30

There's been a few threads about this recently. I had mine at 37 wks and was fine only problem was my arm was sore later in the day and the day after. They did it in my left arm and as I can only sleep comfortably on my left atm that was a bit of a bugger!

Personally I felt that there seem to be no risk involved in having it and it does protect the baby for 6 months as well

Minus273 Tue 18-Oct-11 18:14:45

I had the 'flu' jag at 31 weeks. My arm was a little sore if I pressed where the jag was given, that's it.

The jag should also give the baby some level of protection for the first couple of months. Pregnant women are in the high risk group of developing complications from 'flu', particularly sine 'flu' for some reason.

When you are pregnant your immune system is supressed on top of that your lungs have less room to function, your blood circulation is altered a lot f your energy is used by the growing baby.

PacificDogwood Tue 18-Oct-11 18:19:14

Yes, she should have it.

Sore arm is common side effect and simply means your body is putting the vaccine to good effect.

Fwiw, I have had it every year for 18 years including 4 pregnancies; once before I knew I was pregnant.

The risk of dying from complications of influenza is small, but is greater when you are pregnant/postnatal.

mumblejumble Tue 18-Oct-11 18:27:54

I haven't had it and not been offered it.
No-one in my area has been offered one afaik

cravingcake Tue 18-Oct-11 18:39:08

I'm 38 weeks tomorrow and am booked in to have mine tomorrow afternoon (asked MW about it on Monday and she said go for it). The baby should get some of the immunity and my MW said also that as I'm hoping to breastfeed some should be passed on that way also - cant think of anything worse than having a newborn catching flu.

I am offered it every year and normally dont bother but as flu can be very serious for babies the the benefits outweigh the sore arm for a day or two.

crazyhead Tue 18-Oct-11 19:51:48

I am 36+3 and asked the GP this morning because I was a bit unsure to - he said I should have it (so will book tomorrow.)

mumtobe123 Tue 18-Oct-11 20:01:46

I had a flu jab when I was 24+5 and I am now 25+2 and me and baby are absolutely fine, I am just terrified of needles and my arm was pretty sore but I am a wuss and need to get used to pain before labour!
But the flu jab also protects against swine flu, and if pregnant women get any type of flu it increases the risk of fatality or complications and it's free and means you don't get flu!
I had no temperature or anything that I would usually get with a jab.
It is good to get and protects you and baby, if your unsure get your friend to speak to her midwife and doctor. That's the best advice for anyone if they are unsure, chances are the doctor and midwife will tell you to get it!

Hope that helps, personally I say go for it.

xx

lucamom Tue 18-Oct-11 21:16:48

Had the jab yesterday at 39 weeks, sore arm as mentioned (like previous poster I can only sleep on my left too so had to sleep sitting up last night!). Mw advised having it as could potentially go another 3 weeks until delivery, so more potential to catch flu, and what scared me was that she told me of pg women in intensive care during last years outbreak, and apparently once in intensive care the health of the mother is the priority (sounds a bit sinister, but I think this was in response to me asking whether it was risky for the baby).

Also, same as mentioned above about baby getting immunity through breastfeeding, and as have 2 other children it would be difficult to look after 3 if suffering with flu.

flowerflo Tue 18-Oct-11 21:23:40

Yes definitely have it. I work for the NHS and have my flu jab every year anyway. Am 28 weeks pregnant and had it last week. Felt fine afterwards. Slightly sore arm that evening, which was fine by the next day.

beebee1978 Tue 18-Oct-11 21:41:40

Yes I had mine when i was 40 weeks. Had no problems at all

notlettingthefearshow Tue 18-Oct-11 21:49:25

I had it at 30 weeks. No side effects whatsoever. Completely forgot about it by they time I was home from doctor's.

never heard of any problems or controversy .. no reason not to go for it.

Jezzabell Wed 19-Oct-11 11:03:23

I had mine on saturday and just had an achy arm for a couple of days, just get them to do it on the side that you don't usually sleep on. I had my 20 week scan on Monday and everything was fine. I haven't felt any other side effects.

StickyGhost Wed 19-Oct-11 12:34:28

I had mine at about 38 weeks and can also report no problems. I think knowing your baby will also be protected for a period was the real deal-sealer.
(plus had flu and swine flu last year and really was horrible!)

Kimmie30 Wed 19-Oct-11 12:47:04

I had mine last week at 36+4 and would definetly recommend!! We all had flu for the first time last year and it was awful. My daughter got swine flu and ended up with a rare brain infection as a secondary to the primary flu and has spent most of this year in Addenbrookes so we have all had the jab as a family smile xxxx

bcmummy Wed 19-Oct-11 12:48:22

I had my flu shot on Monday at 21+3. My arm was a little sore but only when I lay down on that side and now 2 days later I have a little bit of a sore throat and a sniffle today which I think may be related to the jab. But having had a horrible cold/throat infection 2 weeks ago I know I have done the right thing to have the jab - can't imagine having the full blown flu while pregnant, would be awful. Will just get myself a box of soft tissues!

BikeRunSki Wed 19-Oct-11 12:50:52

I did. Baby was born a couple of weeks later (last night!) and well both seem fine.

par05 Wed 19-Oct-11 13:56:46

Hi thanks for all the repls, my friend is having the jab at 2pm today! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now