Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm a little disappointed with my bump

(25 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Tue 18-Oct-11 17:44:09

I googled 6 months bump pictures and all these women seen to have lovely, neat, obvious bumps.

Mine seems to be shapeless. People probably think I'm just fat. Is it because I wasn't super skinny to begin with? What's the logic behind bump formation?

I put a picture up on my profile of my 6 months bump taken today...

Oeisha Tue 18-Oct-11 17:51:47

Looks like a beautiful bump to me!

Bump formation varies so much. One SIL constantly got told how small her bump was, to the point she'd cry because she thought there might be something wrong with baby, but she's fairly tall. I'm a shortie, so look exteedingly bumpy - apparently - (partly due to bloating) to the point that people are amazed I'm only 26wks. My boss is also pg, about 8 wks behind me, but with twins, and people are commenting that she looks normal whereas I'm huge with just 1...yet others still havent' guessed I'm pg, so I really don't get it at all.

Essentially, the taller you are, the more abdo room you have for a baby. Same with width of hips, but having said that, I bet there are some out there that'll prov me wrong.

kdiddy Tue 18-Oct-11 17:57:27

I am also a shorty and have a bigger bump because of it ... less room to go up or down, so it goes out! That is my excuse anyway (nothing to do with the yum-yums and iced buns wink)

Mind you, in the same day I have been told how massive and how neat my bump is so I think people just comment without it really meaning anything.

Your bump looks lovely BTW!

LaWeasel Tue 18-Oct-11 18:38:30

It looks like a bump to me!

In my first pregnancy even when I left work at 8mths there were people who hadn't realised I was pregnant, I decided I just had fabulous stomach muscles wink I didn't look really obviously pregnant until the last few weeks - it was great in a way as I had a much shorter period of complete strangers asking when I was due/about the baby at totally random moments.

hermionejgroooaaanger Tue 18-Oct-11 19:03:13

what a lovely bump! I'm 22 weeks and feeling huge. Normally a size 10 but due to unstoppable eating have got a bit bigger - I've put a bump pic up too so feel free to look and judge! I'm relishing the anonymity, however, and there's skin in the pic so just a warning if you're easily traumatised... grin

xlatia Tue 18-Oct-11 19:19:19

Another shorty here! I'm 3 days overdue today and there are still people who don't realise I'm actually pregnant, also I used to be skinny before I got pregnant, so imo there's no logic behind bump formation AT ALL.

thisisyesterday Tue 18-Oct-11 19:25:03

admitedly your bump looks like mine did at about 14 weeks, but then I was hideously unfit and my stomach muscles clearly showed that! lol plus I had giant babies.
I had the opposite though, thinking that my bump was too big, that something was wrong. got sick of people asking if I was having twins etc etc

love your bump for what it is smile

goodnightmoon Tue 18-Oct-11 21:00:27

it looks nice to me. FWIW mine has gotten a lot more definition in the past few weeks (now 31 weeks). I wore a slinky dress the other day and people kept remarking on what a perfect bump it was. and i'm not super skinny.

dreamc1 Thu 20-Oct-11 11:16:59

MrsHuxtable; your bump looks loverly!
Me however, 15 weeks 2morow, large bump already, feeling like a weeble!!!! I seem to just have a large bump, all front, I'm a shortie and was tiny.

UnDeadDolly Thu 20-Oct-11 11:29:49

Lovely bump. I am paranoid about mine. 19 weeks and pretty big (DC2) and I have one particular neighbour that keeps calling me massive and I hate it. I just hate people looking at my body and commenting on my size - previous issues make it hard to hear!
I would say embrace your bump and enjoy it but I can't take my own advice sad

UnDeadDolly Thu 20-Oct-11 11:30:23

PS My arse is also huge, was a size 12-14 to start with and have put on just pver a stone so that's probably why I feel bad.

StickyGhost Thu 20-Oct-11 12:16:46

I remember at about 20 weeks someone at a wedding told me how small my bump was; I was very put out! But now, in the last trimester, is usually when your little one (and possibly you confused ) have the most rapid weight gain - he/she is fully developed and has lots of 'filling-out' to do! You'll soon be waddling don't worry and wishing for that neat little bump back!

Crosshair Thu 20-Oct-11 13:03:57

Looks nice and neat to me. smile

IslandIsla Thu 20-Oct-11 13:42:30

Nice and neat! I'm guessing this is your first pregnancy? I know, during my first pregnancy I didn't feel I had a 'bump' until 7 months. At that point it seemed to suddenly appear. After you have the baby you'll be pleased there's not so much work to do! smile
If you have a no. 2 then that bump will appear much faster and you'll wish it was smaller (I do!)

biglips Thu 20-Oct-11 13:48:31

that is so neat....once till you've hit the 6 months mark, the baby will have a mad growth (which it will be any day now) till 8 months and slowly slow down.

Try not to worry MrsH. I can understand you wanting a big, round obvious bump (me too) but I think that you look pregnant rather than "shapeless/fat" Everyone's body is different and so reacts in different ways. Lots of people tell me how small I am (19+5) but my MW tells me not to worry and that it's good stomach muscles and the fact that I am reasonably tall.

Will try and upload my last bump pic from this week onto my profile.

ByTheWay1 Thu 20-Oct-11 14:17:47

You have a lovely bump - me I just had a great big belly lump - made me look like a ball! Mind you at 40w+10 years it still looks like that blush

UnDeadDolly Thu 20-Oct-11 15:26:59

Shagging you look like me after a curry! Lovely little bump, I'm 18+6 and about 4 times the size! I am a short arse though, and I like cakes too grin

I also love cakes, cheese, chocolate.... I think it will catch up with me very soon!!! grin

nickelbabe Thu 20-Oct-11 17:26:04

everyone keeps telling me i'm small too.
except over the past 3-4 weeks, I've ballooned.
maybe you'll do that (although your bump does look very lovely OP envy

anyway, I have noticed that bumps on photos seem to bear no resemblenace to real life.

hippysair Fri 21-Oct-11 18:50:43

hmm i'm new here and 24 wks with a tiny bump, can't seem to find where i click for it to show me your bump, can anyone help me please?

stripeybumpinthenight Fri 21-Oct-11 18:53:54

I get told that my bump looks tiny and massive by different people on the same day, so I've given up on other people's judgement!

nickelbabe Sat 22-Oct-11 10:13:14

hippy - you mean MrsHuxtable's bump?
hover over her usename, and you can click on it - then it'll come up with a profile page, where you can click through to see her photos (provided she hasn't already removed it)

nickelbabe Sat 22-Oct-11 10:13:31

(she's already removed it)

hippysair Sat 22-Oct-11 16:57:53

Nevermind, but thanks anyway nikelbabe. This is my second pregnancy, but bump was much bigger 1st time round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now