Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone else gone off fluids?!

(9 Posts)
birdofthenorth Tue 18-Oct-11 16:38:49

I'm 6 weeks pg and really have to remind myself to drink drinks (water, juice etc as opposed to caffeine or booze!) throughout the day. I am not thirsty at all all of a sudden and could go for hours and hours without. Even the thought of orange juice makes me a bit queezy, and I've not been getting bad nausea, my attitude to solids is pretty much unchanged. Am I a freak?! Obviously I am trying to remind/ force myself to drink, I realise it's essential!

IvoryRoses Tue 18-Oct-11 18:36:15

I am exactly the same. I suffered with horrendous morning sickness until 16 weeks but even though I feel much better now (I'm 18 weeks) and my appetite is back, the thought of drinking anything makes me feel sick, even water! It feels like it's sloshing around my stomach for ages! I think the best thing to do is to keep a drink with you and take little sips throughout the day to prevent dehydration.

saltyair Tue 18-Oct-11 18:39:07

I felt just like that (also paired with horrid sickness/nausea) - I found frozen liquids much easier to consume - squash ice lollies/ice pops etc. It passes and now I'm drinking loads.

mrsgboring Tue 18-Oct-11 18:40:40

Yes, I did. I had to drink fizzy drinks very slowly through a straw while watching television. It was a full time job to get enough fluids in.

Luckily it didn't recur in the other two pregnancies although I was still incredibly sick.

hermionejgroooaaanger Tue 18-Oct-11 18:45:15

I felt like I didn't want anything to drink - but went off tea, coffee, wine, beer, water, milk, squash, fruit juice - basically everything! Found that a different flavour of fizzy pop each week (whichever make me heave least!) with LOADS of ice in it was do-able. And made the dehydration headaches go away too! I don't think you're a freak. I think being pregnant makes life tricky!
Good luck smile

TheHappyCamper Tue 18-Oct-11 19:22:16

I had this up to about 18 weeks. I went off tea, coffee, hot choc, fizzy drinks, squash, juice, basically everything made me feel a bit sick.

The only thing that didn't was very fresh ice cold milk and believe it or not milkshake (that strawberry milkshake that comes as powder)!

... strangely I can hardly look at the stuff now!

ps. It will end - I clearly remember the afternoon I suddenly realised I fancied a cup of tea again - it never tasted so good! grin Just do the best you can and sip all day long rather than drink in one go.

Mikocat Wed 19-Oct-11 10:12:50

I was saying this to DH the other day, liquid makes me feel so 'full'! I used to have little trouble drinking my 2 litres a day but really struggle to get 1.5 now! I drink a cup of coffee in the morning and don't like tea anyway, but find that I have gone off herbal teas, squash, fizzy drinks. Fruit juice I find particularly difficult because of the acidity!

If you have an iPhone there is a really good free app called Waterlogged that I use religiously, although at the moment it just makes me aware of how much I'm striggling.

Mikocat Wed 19-Oct-11 10:13:22

Or "struggling" even!

birdofthenorth Wed 19-Oct-11 10:32:34

Oh good I'm glad I'm not alone and weird in this! Thank you!

I will download that Waterlogged app Mikocat, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now