Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

39+3 and high BP - likely to induce me?

(19 Posts)
Liabella Tue 18-Oct-11 10:59:46

I've just got back from the MW and while I feel great and have had a problem-free pregnancy so far, she took my BP three times and looked worried.

It's 130/96. I don't really understand BP - can anyone enlighten me wha that means?

There was no protein in my urine.

She's seeing me again at the hospital on Thursday morning for another check.

If it's still high on Thursday, are they likely to induce me? I'm wondering if I should ask DH to take the morning off work and come with me on Thursday in case they do.

Anyone had experience of this?

I was planning a homebirth, but that may be off the cards now according to MW.

VFVF Tue 18-Oct-11 11:12:46

Well, I haven't experienced it directly but coming from a cardiology (non pregnancy related!) background, I'd say that bottom number of 96 is reasonably high (you'd be aiming for the 80ish mark). These things can vary though hence taking it again on Thursday to see if it is persistant or a once off.
Anecdotally, my SIL found herself in the same ppsition as you. Had her 41wk check eith the MW, Bp was high, referred to the hospital the next day, they took her Bp and it was still high, so they sent her home and told her to come back in the morning for induction.
Might be worth just making sure your DH stays on the end of a phone incase they want to admit you? He could go into work but warn them what may be happening?

Liabella Tue 18-Oct-11 11:15:26

Thank you - that's great to know. Anecdotes can be far more reassuring than Mr Google!

mumt1 Tue 18-Oct-11 13:47:18

I had to be induced from pre-clampsia ( high bp), I went midwifes, bp was unbelievably high, sent straight to hospital to have checks, and bloods. Hospital phoned me the day after to say bloods have said I had pre-clampsia (not sure how that works) and was booked in for the next morning. So there's a big chance ull get booked in and induced. Can't see them doing it there and then though. Although they may want to admit you to keep eye on it until following morning

harassedandherbug Tue 18-Oct-11 14:49:10

Your looking at the bottom number for bp in pregnancy, and also at your starting point at your booking in appoinment. If it goes up by 15-20 then they'd def consider induction in my experience. So my bp is generally a bit on the high side and was ?/80 at booking in, so for my bp 130/96 would be high but borderline I think. What was your booking in bp?

suiledonn1 Tue 18-Oct-11 14:55:24

I had high BP at the end of my second pregnancy.

I can't remember exactly but it was a little higher than yours. I was admitted and monitored over a couple of days, put on medication and released.

I ended up being admitted twice more but wasn't induced.

I went into labour naturally at 40+4. My BP didn't come down after the birth and I had to stay on the medication for 6 weeks afterwards.

Have you any other symptoms? Swelling, headache, positive urine tests, floaters in the eyes and I think heartburn-like pain in the chest?

Liabella Tue 18-Oct-11 14:56:42

My BP at booking-in appointment was 147/77.

It has always been inconsistent.

Two weeks ago it was 120/70!

What do you think? Thank you so much for your responses.

suiledonn1 Tue 18-Oct-11 14:57:13

Forgot to say my normal BP all through first pregnancy and most of second was 120/80. I can remember being 140/100 when I was admitted.

Liabella Tue 18-Oct-11 14:58:14

I've had some really bad heartburn, but not in the last few days. It was bad on Friday but nothing since then and easily sorted with Rennies.

I haven't had any other symptoms - no protein in my urine this morning, no headaches or swellings.

suiledonn1 Tue 18-Oct-11 15:02:08

Definitely take it easy for the next few days if possible.

Hopefully it will have come down a bit by Thursday.

How do you feel about being induced?

Liabella Tue 18-Oct-11 15:08:53

As DH is a teacher, it would be good to have the baby in time for halfterm! But I feel nervous generally about hospitals and had wanted a homebirth and to be able to spend the first night at home with our baby rather than in hospital.

Being positive, as long as the baby is ok, I'm happy.

suiledonn1 Tue 18-Oct-11 15:13:58

In my situation they were very reluctant to induce once the BP remained stable. The midwives really encouraged me to wait and see. I had a sizing scan and dd was a good weight etc but it was deemed better to wait it out.

I had a very quick labour with dd1 and originally was very anti-intervention. However after all the stress of being admitted, staying a couple of days over and over again I was practically begging to be induced.

Icelollycraving Tue 18-Oct-11 15:54:47

My bp went sky high on 40+2 was induced on 40+6. Good luck!

Liabella Tue 18-Oct-11 17:42:50

I can imagine feeling like that suiledonn1

I'm starting to think: just induce me! I'd rather know she is here safely than be in this waiting and watching phase, which just makes me feel anxious.

kblu Tue 18-Oct-11 17:48:55

I think it probably depends how high your BP remains. If it's going up and down then they may just wait and see. This is what they did with me, mine was up and down like a yo-yo two weeks before my due date and they left me to go to 40+10 but I had to have monitoring every day in the assessment unit just to check for PE (incidentally they won't diagnose you with PE until you have protein in your urine). Unfortunately the day before I was due for routine inducement I went into labour naturally but ended up getting severe PE at the same time.

SootySweepandSue Tue 18-Oct-11 17:57:05

I was induced for high BP at 40+8.

For 2 weeks before then I had my BP taken every 2 days at GPs. If it was high I got sent to hospital where I sat on a BP monitor for an hour to get more accurate readings once I was relaxed. I got sent home on most days except the last where they sent me upstairs to be induced.

The consultant said 'even if your BP is not always high, it is high today' and as I was so overdue they decided to induce.

I think if you are earlier on you will be asked for routine checks or maybe a 24 HR BP monitor to be worn.

A few months after birth I found out I have White coat syndrome re BP, so I'm not sure if my BP was ever high.

The induction was fine BTW!

kblu Tue 18-Oct-11 18:08:42

Sooty, I also have White Coat Syndrome - which meant I spent an awful lot of time in the maternity assessment unit!!

Liabella Tue 18-Oct-11 18:17:20

My mum thinks it's White Coat Syndrome as I feel absolutely fine in every other way, so it's interesting to hear two of you have that. I look relaxed but inside I know I'm thinking: "What if there's no heartbeat today" and things like that.

Thank you for all your responses.

kblu Tue 18-Oct-11 18:21:06

I remember thinking like that Liabella. I'm sure you'll be fine, try not to get too worked up as that can make it worse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now