Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

5-6 wks and Bleeding!

(5 Posts)
saltysnacks Tue 18-Oct-11 10:46:06

Good grief... I'm so nauseous, I feel like I'm constantly car sick. My pregnancy test last week was positive but I've been bleeding for six days now (varying degrees of brown spotting and heavier period-like blood) and nobody seems to be able to offer any information. The GP said it was a "threatened abortion" and booked me an appointment for four days later to have an early pregnancy scan. Before I made it to the appointment, the bleeding got so heavy that I went to the A&E where I was informed that I had had a miscarriage. The doctor told me to keep the appointment for the scan anyway, to make sure that "all of the product was gone." So, I went to the hospital for the scan yesterday and lo and behold everything looked as normal as can be for a pregnancy at 5-6 weeks. I was elated, of course, but also really confused. Is the pregnancy okay? Does this mean that I'm at a higher risk of having a MC? The technician looked about 18-years old and couldn't furnish me with much information. It was too early to detect a heartbeat, so I've been re-booked for another scan in two weeks. I decided to turn to Mumsnet because it seems like I might stand a better chance of learning something from the wisdom of other mums/ mums-to-be rather than relying on the mixed messages of the healthcare practitioners. If anyone has experienced bleeding in the early stages of pregnancy, please do share your thoughts!

Hopingforastickyone Tue 18-Oct-11 10:55:45

Salty -- how scary for you.

As I am sure you may have seen on several of these boards, many women experience harmless bleeding in pregnany. The fact that you saw a gestational sac corresponding to dates is very reassuring.

The next most important step will be seeing a heartbeat which should have formed by your next scan.

I recently went for a 5 week scan to check that the pregnancy wasn't ectopic (I am at a high risk due to previous pelvic surgery) and thankfully all was well but the sonographer said she could see a bit of my uterine lining which was 'disrupted' and might cause some harmless spotting. She said the disruption was far away from the embryo and that I needn't worry.

So all that to say that once can bleed in pregnancy with everything else being fine.

The next two weeks will feel like an eternity but you must remain positive. Your symptoms are a great sign that things are going well.

Very best of luck and keep us posted....xxx

Hopingforastickyone Tue 18-Oct-11 10:56:40

And by the way, relaxing and keeping your feet up as much as possible is very important. This may be your body telling you to take it easy :-)

saltysnacks Tue 18-Oct-11 11:03:20

So great - thanks for your reply. I'll try to stay optimistic and hope that these two weeks fly by (the next scan seems a looong way off right now). Good luck to you too! I'm sure you'll get a Sticky One smile X

saltysnacks Tue 18-Oct-11 11:06:22

PS: If I want to add an update on my progress, should I start a new thread or keep going on this one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now