Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fundus only grown 0.5 cm in two weeks

(9 Posts)
outthere Tue 18-Oct-11 09:05:03

I'm 34 weeks and I was measuring small anyway but now I've dropped right off the centile line I was on - anyone else had the same? What was the outcome?

For some reason I'm feeling really worried and anxious about it today - I'm not normally a worrier...

madam1mim Tue 18-Oct-11 09:11:46

Have they booked you in for a growth scan? As long as they can see no problems then you should be fine. This happened to me, I just stopped growing after a bit. I'm quite short and so was my little girl when she was born (however now shes a really long baby!) . Also sometimes they just cannot tell. Even scans are not that accurate. They estimated my LO weight to be about 6LB and she was 7Lb 40z. Pregnancy is such a worrying time but as long as midwives etc are happy then I would try relax.

BedatHogwarts Tue 18-Oct-11 09:25:58

The fundal height measurement is really inaccurate. My midwife said it was originally developed as a technique for third world countries, so they would have a rough idea of when the baby was due as they had no scanning etc. If your midwife was concerned she would refer you for a scan, but if you are worried about it then call her so she can reassure you.

Dirtydishesmakemesad Tue 18-Oct-11 09:33:05

I wouldnt worry too much, if they are worried about growth they should do a scan.
My dd was estimated at "huge -well over 9 pounds" by a midwife and her measuring tape just days befroe she was born, but was actually 7 pounds 6.

outthere Tue 18-Oct-11 10:25:42

Hi all, thanks for the reassuring messages. Sorry- should have said that she's seeing me back in a week and if there hasn't been a growth spurt then she'll send me for a scan.

It also took a very tense couple of minutes to pick up his heart beat (he was lying slightly differently to where she thought). Added to the fact that I've been having horrible dreams and dreamt about my baby last night I think I've just got my knickers in a twist today!

I shall stop Googling IUGR and listen to your reassuring stories instead! Thank you smile

Kimmie30 Tue 18-Oct-11 10:35:28

I had the same problem at 28 weeks i had a routine appointment and i hadn't grown at all in 3 weeks. Was only measuring 25 weeks. They sent me for an emergency growth scan only to find out my little man was curled up in a tight ball and they estimated his weight to be 2lb 12ozs then so well above the 50th centile. I now always measure either a week behind or just right and he is still on track for being a 9lb baby. I think fundal measurements can be so wrong. I like you worried and googled IGUR and frightened myself. xxxx

Liabella Tue 18-Oct-11 11:05:13

I measured small at 34 weeks and got sent for a growth scan, where the sonographer estimated the baby would be less than 6 lbs at birth but was within normal range.

I'm 39+3 today and the MW just said even though my bump measurement is still small (36 cms), the actual baby she can feel with her hands feels like she'll be 8lbs!

I don't think it's very accurate in other words. But it was nice to have an extra scan!

scepticalexpat Tue 18-Oct-11 13:39:22

I just got sent for an ultrasound scan because my fundal height measurement was low - it had been 2cm/ weeks behind for a couple of weeks and then got even lower (I'm 37 weeks today). The scan was fine, showing an approx 7lb baby, and the right amount of amniotic fluid. Fundal height just seems to be totally inaccurate. So much for my week of worrying before the scan appointment!

BartletForAmerica Tue 18-Oct-11 13:47:56

Fundal height isn't completely inaccurate. They can't scan everyone every fortnight, so monitoring the week-to-week difference is a very rough guide and just pinpoints (in a vague way) the people who might have problems with growth. It is just a very blunt tool.

My fundal height didn't change one fortnight, so I was sent for a scan at 37 weeks. The baby had just changed position and was growing fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now