Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pain in/under ribs

(3 Posts)
Dirtydishesmakemesad Tue 18-Oct-11 08:33:51

I am 21 weeks and for the last two week or so have had sore ribs on the left side, sometimes with sharp stabbing pains but mostly stiff and achey. Does anyone have any idea why? Surely the baby cant be that high up at this stage?
This is my 5th baby and i have never experienced this before.
I have a consultant appointment today would it be worth mentioning? I know they tend to either brush you off and make you feel stupid or totally overreact and admit you right there and then (experience!)

I should add i also suffer with anxiety and at the moment am going through a particularly bad patch and so i know i may either be blowing it out of all proportion OR i tend to breath way to deeply when im anxious and have actually wondered if this could cause the pain?

MargeryDaw Tue 18-Oct-11 08:38:55

I would definitely talk to your consultant about it at your appointment but thought I would say that from around 24 weeks I had exactly the same pain as you describe except on the right side and the doctors and midwives were adamant it was the baby's position and where he was digging his feet in. This seems to have been the case as there were no related issues with him or the birth

LikeABlackFlameCandleBNQ Tue 18-Oct-11 10:35:16

I have had this since around 20 weeks, and am sorry to say, but ime, it only gets worse. Im now 31 weeks, pain is under both ribs, affecting my lying down and really hurting when sat at my desk at work.

Stretching upwards helps, but I can barely touch my ribs now without pans.

If your consultant shares any words of wisdom, pass them on wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now